The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jan 25, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #9,721 of 12,546

Actually, the magni v1 is actually more powerful than the o2. At 600 ohm magni puts out 230mw, compared to the 02 at just 88mw. That's what so alarming, the magni could drive my 600ohm 880's or t1's to ear bleeding levels.

Yea, the Magni can get all my other headphones to ear bleeding levels except my AKG K240 (VERY Old) 600 Ohm and K612. It's 10000x times worse with the K240's. It's like my volume is on 10 or 20%, but people on forums said it'd be able to drive them with ease. Those were the reason that I had bought the Magni. 

Very interesting.  I see that you also posted on the K601 and K612 thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/216596/akg-k601-k612-pro-owners-unite/2100#post_12280244).  I noticed that a few other posts in the same thread note a poor synergy between the K612 and the Magni. I do not know why that is the case and hope that someone who is more knowledgeable will be able to explain this problem.  Good luck!

Jan 25, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #9,722 of 12,546
  Yea, the Magni can get all my other headphones to ear bleeding levels except my AKG K240 (VERY Old) 600 Ohm and K612. It's 10000x times worse with the K240's. It's like my volume is on 10 or 20%, but people on forums said it'd be able to drive them with ease. Those were the reason that I had bought the Magni. 

Look, to put this in simple terms:
Magni can blow up your K612's drivers without a sweat.
It has almost twice the power needed to break K612 drivers.

So, you need to feed your Magni with a proper signal.

Jan 25, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #9,723 of 12,546
  Look, to put this in simple terms:
Magni can blow up your K612's drivers without a sweat.
It has almost twice the power needed to break K612 drivers.

So, you need to feed your Magni with a proper signal.

I used two laptops, a netbook, the headphone out on top of my tower and the one on my motherboard, an old Zune, a crappy Philips mp3 player, my 2i2 interface, my phone and a CD player.... That's 10 sources and only one of them worked well, not to mention that my receiver drives them better than the Magni when hooked up to the same source.

That ALONE shows me that I need a stronger amp. At this point, I don't care what online specs say, I care about the ACTUAL performance. And actually HAVING the Magni and K612, I can assure you that it is not a good combo. If simply plugging it into the headphone out on my interface isn't a "proper" signal, than I, as well as MANY others have been doing it wrong. And I'm not saying this because I hate the Magni. I REEAALLY wanted it to work perfectly, but it didn't with the K240's, and it doesn't with the K612's. Also, the CD player had an Aux in and I even connected that to the out of my interface just to see if the volume would continue to be great.... But dear Lord almighty... Distortion and noise heaven. Everything was wrong, I was scared and I never want to relive that moment.

OH! And here's the kicker that I totally forgot about. My Live Wire Solutions HA04 drives the K612's around 20% louder than the Magni. Yes, the flutter problem is even worse, but that's ridiculous! At the time I bought it, it was a $20 amp!

Quote:

I noticed that a few other posts in the same thread note a poor synergy between the K612 and the Magni. I do not know why that is the case and hope that someone who is more knowledgeable will be able to explain this problem.  Good luck!

I've read them too. I wish I would have done so before purchasing them.

Jan 25, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #9,724 of 12,546
  I used two laptops, a netbook, the headphone out on top of my tower and the one on my motherboard, an old Zune, a crappy Philips mp3 player, my 2i2 interface, my phone and a CD player.... That's 10 sources and only one of them worked well, not to mention that my receiver drives them better than the Magni when hooked up to the same source.

That ALONE shows me that I need a stronger amp. At this point, I don't care what online specs say, I care about the ACTUAL performance. And actually HAVING the Magni and K612, I can assure you that it is not a good combo. If simply plugging it into the headphone out on my interface isn't a "proper" signal, than I, as well as MANY others have been doing it wrong. And I'm not saying this because I hate the Magni. I REEAALLY wanted it to work perfectly, but it didn't with the K240's, and it doesn't with the K612's. Also, the CD player had an Aux in and I even connected that to the out of my interface just to see if the volume would continue to be great.... But dear Lord almighty... Distortion and noise heaven. Everything was wrong, I was scared and I never want to relive that moment.

OH! And here's the kicker that I totally forgot about. My Live Wire Solutions HA04 drives the K612's around 20% louder than the Magni. Yes, the flutter problem is even worse, but that's ridiculous! At the time I bought it, it was a $20 amp!
I've read them too. I wish I would have done so before purchasing them.

Let me give you my 2 cents. 

I have both K612 and the schiit magni. 
With levels that you are teeling, my headphone gets LOUD.... at the point of hurting my ears. Its impossible to hear them. 
And probaby will damage it if I raise the volume a little more. 

You may have other problems in your chain. Definitely not the amp.

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #9,725 of 12,546
Proper amping has nothing to do with volume. A phone can play louder then you should be listening. It's about matching impedance. When it's right, the cans open up and are much fuller sounding. This is why something like the crack amp is a good match for 600 ohm 880s. And why the bravo isn't.

I have a 250Ohm DT880, but I see what you're saying. I'm glad there is still potential to explore, as even right now this hp sounds amazing. Unfortunately, bravo ocean has been nothing but a complete waste of money. Isn't it supposed to be able to drive 600ohm hp's tho? What makes you think it's such a bad match? Could it sound good with a better tube?

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #9,726 of 12,546

Let me give you my 2 cents. 

I have both K612 and the schiit magni. 
With levels that you are teeling, my headphone gets LOUD.... at the point of hurting my ears. Its impossible to hear them. 
And probaby will damage it if I raise the volume a little more. 

You may have other problems in your chain. Definitely not the amp.

Here's a video I filmed testing other people with an MP3 player as my source. It's a little long, but bear with me here, lol.
https://youtu.be/XpcRsjhK33w

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #9,727 of 12,546
I'd wait till the DT880's arrive and see if there is a problem with the magni or what I suspect... the K612's.

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #9,729 of 12,546
the magni has a gain switch. Are you sure you don't have the gain set to low. Volume is not a problem with the magni and my k701 which is fairly hard to drive

I have the Magni V1. It has no gain switch. That's the Magni 2.

I'd wait till the DT880's arrive and see if there is a problem with the magni or what I suspect... the K612's.

They arrived earlier. When I opened the box, I was confused. They look MUUUUUUUUCH larger online. They're fairly small. Anyway, with the Magni turned all the way up, they're slightly louder than the K612's, but the volume isn't blowing my head off or damaging at 12 or even 3. Also, people complained about these being sibilant? These are warm as heck! And these aren't bass light in the least! Reminds me of the M40x's, but more balanced and controlled.

I'm going to believe that there has been something wrong with my Magni ever since I purchased it three years ago. That's three headphones now that, in theory, should be killing my eardrums or blowing out the drivers at 12, but they aren't even close to doing that. I've been talking to a guy a Schiit, and after the video, he just sent me a link to the site to read something I already read and doesn't help me in the least.

Jan 28, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #9,730 of 12,546
  I have the Magni V1. It has no gain switch. That's the Magni 2.

They arrived earlier. When I opened the box, I was confused. They look MUUUUUUUUCH larger online. They're fairly small. Anyway, with the Magni turned all the way up, they're slightly louder than the K612's, but the volume isn't blowing my head off or damaging at 12 or even 3. Also, people complained about these being sibilant? These are warm as heck! And these aren't bass light in the least! Reminds me of the M40x's, but more balanced and controlled.

I'm going to believe that there has been something wrong with my Magni ever since I purchased it three years ago. That's three headphones now that, in theory, should be killing my eardrums or blowing out the drivers at 12, but they aren't even close to doing that. I've been talking to a guy a Schiit, and after the video, he just sent me a link to the site to read something I already read and doesn't help me in the least.

What the guy said? Maybe someone here can help you. 

Jan 28, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #9,731 of 12,546

What the guy said? Maybe someone here can help you. 

After telling him what I told you guys, he sent me a link that basically told me to try....... different sources, even though in the previous email I wrote that I did that. So, I told him that I think the Magni may have been messed up ever since I bought it and I didn't know because the K240's were the only high impedance headphones I had at the time. He sent me the address to send it in for repair. I'll give an update after they receive it and see if there is a problem with it.

Jan 28, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #9,732 of 12,546

Then you really need a new amplifier as there is something wrong with that one...

I asked Audio Engine if their D1 would properly power the DT880 Pro's and they assured me it would, so I ordered one from B&H to go with the DT880's. That was a TOTAL fail, the volume of the D1 had to be turned up to 95% for a decent listening level. Well the D1 was packed back up in it's box the same day waiting for a RMA number and a FiiO E09K ordered in it's place to go with my E17.

No trouble at all now driving the DT880 Pro's from the E09K with lots of power left in reserve, but mine are attached to the Little Dot MK IV, as tubes are where the DT880's really shine.

Jan 28, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #9,733 of 12,546
  Then you really need a new amplifier as there is something wrong with that one...

I asked Audio Engine if their D1 would properly power the DT880 Pro's and they assured me it would, so I ordered one from B&H to go with the DT880's. That was a TOTAL fail, the volume of the D1 had to be turned up to 95% for a decent listening level. Well the D1 was packed back up in it's box the same day waiting for a RMA number and a FiiO E09K ordered in it's place to go with my E17.

No trouble at all now driving the DT880 Pro's from the E09K with lots of power left in reserve, but mine are attached to the Little Dot MK IV, as tubes are where the DT880's really shine.

I would have bought the MK II but I'm an engineer, so I need a non-colored amp. I also would have bought the E09K but finding one is..... not easy. I'll nab a K5 when it's released, regardless of what amp I'll have by then.

Jan 28, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #9,734 of 12,546
this thread is huge so instead of reading everything for the next week i thought i would ask and see.

i have amongst others a pair of DT-880 600ohm which are my goto headphones. i have tried both the 770, 880 velour pads and various other pleather but i cant get the right sound. the 770 pads have wayyy to much bass which drowns the highs out and the 880 pads have not enough bass but the highs are superb. i recently seen that the new T1 mk2 has different pads which are supposed to be memory foam so i was wondering if anybody has tried the new T1 V2 pads on the 880's?

Thanks.

Jan 29, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #9,735 of 12,546
..... I've had these 880's for two days, and I just unplugged them to listen to something really quickly with my HD-681 EVO's... I then plugged them back into my receiver and within that time frame of 20 seconds, the left driver died...... Lovely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back