The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jan 14, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #9,661 of 12,546

Edit: Oops, didn't know he was out of the US, but it might still be cheaper than Massdrop.

It's only $199.99 on Focus Camera (NJ, & NY tax only) and you don't have to wait forever for it to ship.
If you order before 2 PM EST, it ships the same day.

http://www.focuscamera.com/beyer-dynamic-dt-880-premium-600-ohm-headphones.html

Nice find if I were a MD buyer I would be cancelling and going the Focus route.

To be honest I have purchased my last two beyer's (T1 & DT1350) from Focus w/o a problem.  Both had been on MD for several dollars more.  Looks like beyerdynamic is not giving MassDrop the deals that some dealers are getting or Focus is selling the old stock at cost.  

I would predict that beyerdynamic will be putting removable cables on the whole DT series sometime in the future to keep up with the competition, and a most common complaint for the brand.

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #9,662 of 12,546
  About a week ago, I posted here to say that I wasn't impressed with the DT800's sound.  I didn't find them fun to listen to.  Then last night, I listened to Radiohead's Kid A with them, I was blown away by the things I can hear with the DT800 that I didn't before.  I was about to go on here and post my impression again.  Then I decided to put on Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto.......my happy feelings changed again.....OMG I had to turn it off. 

I think it had something to do with the recording but it totally messed up the fast songs.

Anyway.....just ranting.

I agree with you that different material sounds different on different hp's. I also firmly believe that associated equipment plays a roll on how things end up sounding... especially if you have a bad pairing and don't realize it for awhile. I have the 600 Ohm DT880's and on most stuff they sound awesome IMHO but on some songs they can sound bright or even harsh. Just like my HD600's can sound a bit too rolled off and dark on some music. I had a wild experience the other day as I was listening to a pair of iem's and put a disc on I've literally heard hundreds of times. I've listened to this disc for years and never heard it sound the way it did out of these little iem's. It must have been something to do in the recording process and the frequency response or sound sig of the iem. Not sure of the correct terminology but it sounded absolutely incredible. That's why I have several different hp's... just to mix it up and if something sounds like $#it on one maybe I try the other or switch up the music. Anyway I really enjoy my DT880's and I'll always remember the senior member who sold them to me who said "if you ever get the itch to upgrade reach out to me and I'll try to talk you out of it". 
smile.gif

Jan 16, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #9,663 of 12,546
  I agree with you that different material sounds different on different hp's. I also firmly believe that associated equipment plays a roll on how things end up sounding... especially if you have a bad pairing and don't realize it for awhile. I have the 600 Ohm DT880's and on most stuff they sound awesome IMHO but on some songs they can sound bright or even harsh. Just like my HD600's can sound a bit too rolled off and dark on some music. I had a wild experience the other day as I was listening to a pair of iem's and put a disc on I've literally heard hundreds of times. I've listened to this disc for years and never heard it sound the way it did out of these little iem's. It must have been something to do in the recording process and the frequency response or sound sig of the iem. Not sure of the correct terminology but it sounded absolutely incredible. That's why I have several different hp's... just to mix it up and if something sounds like $#it on one maybe I try the other or switch up the music. Anyway I really enjoy my DT880's and I'll always remember the senior member who sold them to me who said "if you ever get the itch to upgrade reach out to me and I'll try to talk you out of it". 
smile.gif

I noticed you have both the Maverick D2 and LD MKIII. Any chance you're pairing these with 880's? I have LD IV and Mav D2 with 880's and I have yet to find anything that sounds too harsh. Granted I had been listening to DT990s for over 3 years so nothing could be considered harsh compared to them.

Overall, the details in 880s in the midrange really blow 990s out of the park. One has to listen to believe not just compare graph curves.

Jan 16, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #9,664 of 12,546
Okay, so I have a question about the headband adjustment mechanism. On one side, it's become very loose and the system essentially doesn't grip onto the dots very well, sliding up and down too easily and often by accident.

Anybody had this happen or have any ideas on how to fix it? I figure I may as well ask before trying to tinker around with it because my mechanical aptitude is sadly low.

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #9,665 of 12,546
I've just sent my dt880's to Peterek for custom cable mod. Since they moved in the rotation and what I consider keepers they'll get detachable cable. I've run them on the vahalia 2 and my violectric ss amp and any harshness I've noticed was in that certain recording. Besides that they are detailed, fun sounding headphone. Cheers

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #9,666 of 12,546

I noticed you have both the Maverick D2 and LD MKIII. Any chance you're pairing these with 880's? I have LD IV and Mav D2 with 880's and I have yet to find anything that sounds too harsh. Granted I had been listening to DT990s for over 3 years so nothing could be considered harsh compared to them.

Overall, the details in 880s in the midrange really blow 990s out of the park. One has to listen to believe not just compare graph curves.

I have the LD being fed directly from my Oppo dvd drive using the Oppo's own internal DAC. It sounds great and works for me because the Oppo has a volume control on the remote and I can control volume from my listening chair.
biggrin.gif

I find the DT880 is a little hotter in the treble than say my HD600 which is more forgiving of a recording with sharp treble than the DT880. The thing I like about the DT880 is the level of detail it can convey and its dynamics. I do use EI 6HM5 Yugoslavian drivers with the DT880 to tame them a bit. I'll have to try my Beresford or Maverick DAC with them some day. 

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #9,667 of 12,546
Bumping for visibility of the below.

Quote:
  Okay, so I have a question about the headband adjustment mechanism. On one side, it's become very loose and the system essentially doesn't grip onto the dots very well, sliding up and down too easily and often by accident.

Anybody had this happen or have any ideas on how to fix it? I figure I may as well ask before trying to tinker around with it because my mechanical aptitude is sadly low.

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #9,668 of 12,546

It's a common problem that shouldn't happen but does. I tried unscrewing the mechanism but it's incredibly fiddley and there isn't much you can do without risking buggering the whole thing up. What I did was drill through and use a small screw to hold it in one position. Just makes sure it's the right position though, and of course when your wife or girlfriend goes to try the phones out they'll fall off her head. Only other alternative is to march on the offices of Beyer and demand a replacement, which should last 12 months of so before you have to do the same thing all over again. Good luck.   

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #9,669 of 12,546
I tried wrapping a long shoelace around each side, and it fixed this problem completely. Wrap the lace around the bottom where the dots are, then also wrap it vertically up, around the sharp metal piece. Make sure it has a firm grip with a knot, and it should adjust normally after that (but it looks messy). I can show you mine personally if you want, but here's a picture that shows where I looped around the lace: http://oi66.tinypic.com/20ur9zo.jpg

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #9,670 of 12,546

It's a common problem that shouldn't happen but does. I tried unscrewing the mechanism but it's incredibly fiddley and there isn't much you can do without risking buggering the whole thing up. What I did was drill through and use a small screw to hold it in one position. Just makes sure it's the right position though, and of course when your wife or girlfriend goes to try the phones out they'll fall off her head. Only other alternative is to march on the offices of Beyer and demand a replacement, which should last 12 months of so before you have to do the same thing all over again. Good luck.   

Double posted by accident, anyway, my reply to this is above, its another option for this problem with the headband adjustment.

Jan 19, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #9,671 of 12,546
  I tried wrapping a long shoelace around each side, and it fixed this problem completely. Wrap the lace around the bottom where the dots are, then also wrap it vertically up, around the sharp metal piece. Make sure it has a firm grip with a knot, and it should adjust normally after that (but it looks messy). I can show you mine personally if you want, but here's a picture that shows where I looped around the lace: http://oi66.tinypic.com/20ur9zo.jpg

That sharp metal piece is only on the Premium, whereas I have the Pro. Besides, I only wear slip-on shoes. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #9,672 of 12,546
I've had this hp for a few days now and I think there is a love hate relationship going on. While there is so much to love I just can't escape this feeling that this hp sounds just TOO DAMN SMOOTH. Almost like they got a filter thing going on. It's good in a way but doesn't seem to work so well on more aggressive stuff.

For example distorted guitars sound a bit muffled, like they lack the grit. Or maybe more like there is no color or sweetness in the tone to the point where it can sound a bit dull and plasticky.

I've also heard AKG k612 recently and those very just the opposite. They had more upper mids than I'm used to and they sounded even tizzy at times, but overall distorted guitars sounded more defined and sweeter.

TL;DR where does this liquid smooth quality to the sound come from and does it really work for more aggressive stuff like metal?

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #9,674 of 12,546

Are you using it with a decent amp?

No, not really. I thought this may be asked :p 

I have Bravo Audio Ocean and never thought much of it, as my asus xonar dx was plenty loud even before I got an amp.

I have yet to experience the wonders of amping. As it stands even my phone can drive my dt880 PRO loud enough albeit with just a little less clarity than my asus xonar dx.

Would better dac/amp really change much? I have yet to believe it can significantly change the sound signature of a hp.

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #9,675 of 12,546

I have Bravo Audio Ocean and never thought much of it, as my asus xonar dx was plenty loud even before I got an amp.

I don't know about the Bravo, but I've used my DG with various things such as DT990 250, and it's pretty ok/good, but shouty and unrefined.  I haven't tried it in a while, so maybe I would think it's worse now since my ears have further turned into audio snobs with their noses high in the air.  Ears don't have noses, but whatever.  

I think the DG's DAC is nice enough.  Maybe a little extra oomph in the kick drum area and shouty vocal area, but overall nice enough.  Certainly better than my onboard ALC892.

It'd be interesting to hear how your DT880 compares on the Bravo vs. the DG's amp.  If you can't tell the difference between them, maybe that would point to the Bravo not being up to the DT880's potential. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back