The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Dec 21, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #9,571 of 12,546

Yup, my Premium came with the left headband slider loose out of the box. Really hurts my OCD.

Like wise it wasn't just the left it was both... an it bugged me

the Pro 880 was ROCK solid, the Premium felt fragile 

Well, it's ostensibly for a different market, so maybe they take extra care with pros. I don't see many professionals being polite and forgiving about too-loose sliders and the like.  

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #9,573 of 12,546
Actually, over here the 880 Pro is more expensive (about 30-40 euros more than the premium models) so that's why I didn't consider that one. I just hope the headband is comforable enough with no pressure on the head, although I doubt it will be as comfy as, say, the hd600/650.
(The 990 Pro is about 40-50 euro less though than the 990 Premium, so that's a bit weird.)

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #9,574 of 12,546

Well, it's ostensibly for a different market, so maybe they take extra care with pros. I don't see many professionals being polite and forgiving about too-loose sliders and the like.  

Yes... but in the consumer space, the Premiums are more expensive. Loose sliders aren't very "premium" as well...

YEAP, An if your game you can grab a DT 880 Pro  600 ohm for the low low price of $779 :D I found ONE guy who bought one for like $300 <.< though a very good modder could proably dump a 600 Ohm driver into a Pro 250 Ohm Housing cheaper then you can find the 600 ohm Pro model 

Frankly though, given the SURGE of more efficent ortho's these days the 250 Pro seems like a better choice, given that new amps aren't pumping out MASSIVE amounts of power like in times past, meaning the benefits of a higher ohm, namely it's ability to scale well with said High Powered amps, seems to be diminishing. Though depending on the tube amp, the 600 may have the advantage there 

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #9,575 of 12,546
Talking of loose sliders, on one of my sets (I have two Pros) the sliders went totally loose after a couple of years. I had to drill through and put small screws in to keep them in place. There's definitely a weakness there in all models, and Beyer really should have addressed it by now.

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #9,576 of 12,546
  Talking of loose sliders, on one of my sets (I have two Pros) the sliders went totally loose after a couple of years. I had to drill through and put small screws in to keep them in place. There's definitely a weakness there in all models, and Beyer really should have addressed it by now.

I agree, still I think the Pros the better deal all around, it's cheaper an better built  

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #9,577 of 12,546
Nice sounding headphone, I must say. A little on the bright side, but overall pleasing to listen to and there's lots of detail. Clarity is good, and soundstage is also pretty good.
I got the premium model, so with the "flimsy" headband, but it's not flimsy I think, it still feels robust and all of the headphone looks nicely made. The ear cushions especially are very comfy. I do think the clamping force of the earcups could've been a little tighter. Didn't consider the Pro version when I ordered it but maybe I'll try it some day to see how it compares.

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #9,581 of 12,546
I am so glad to see how much love this headphone still receives 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #9,582 of 12,546

There were no bass and highs were too much for me at first listen but now after a month i can't listen to anything else around me! they all sound wrong in comparison. im addicted to its accuracy,balance,soundstage,speed and details.i bought it blindly and im happy for it because if i had chance to demo before buy the early sound signature wasnt for me at all but now it is my favorite reference and nirvana after a long working day.
Big thanks to Me x3 for guidance

Cheers

Dec 25, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #9,583 of 12,546
There were no bass and highs were too much for me at first listen but now after a month i can't listen to anything else around me! they all sound wrong in comparison. im addicted to its accuracy,balance,soundstage,speed and details.i bought it blindly and im happy for it because if i had chance to demo before buy the early sound signature wasnt for me at all but now it is my favorite reference and nirvana after a long working day.

There's an important point here about audition, both the length and the conditions. I wonder how many of us have rejected headphones that might otherwise have been keepers or even end-game phones because we auditioned under horrible conditions or were in a bad mood or had a headache or whatever? I found out quite early in the piece that I could never decide from shop or show auditions, so I began to buy and re-sell used phones on Ebay. This gave me time to audition and compare at leisure without too great a cost. It's also provided me a far greater in-depth knowledge of most mid-range phones than I could ever have gained  otherwise.

In the case of the 880 Pro, what drew me was its neutrality, lack of colouration and general balance. It's an amazingly neutral phone, more so than some far more expensive models I've auditioned. It's only real fault is the treble peak, which is quite easily addressed, at least compared to most headphone faults.I also happen to think the 880 is capable of scaling extremely well, which is something you don't hear much about. In fact I'd like to see more discussion on just how far you can take an 880, because in this area I think its age and generally low price has militated against it. Come on, guys, get out the $2000 amps and let's see how this baby performs.    

Dec 25, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #9,584 of 12,546

Big thanks to Me x3 for guidance

Cheers

Cheers mate! Nice picture!

Dec 25, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #9,585 of 12,546
It's only real fault is the treble peak, which is quite easily addressed, at least compared to most headphone faults.    

The peak at 9-10khz is necessary for airy presentation and microdetails
But here is my solution for cleaner treble response
On my phone with Neutron player EQ

+1.5 db pk @3khz bw 1
+2.5 db pk @4khz bw 0.5
-3 db pk @5.5khz bw 0.5
+2 db low-shelf @900khz bw 1.2

It works for edm,pop,etc modern productions with compressed sound
i still dont use this eq setting because default presentation is better for all other genres but you feel a tiny resonanse at 5.5khz in edm or trance tracks that have heavy leads,sweaps,drops combined with white noise
I tried to recreate eq with foobar and Pro-Q2 on my laptop but after breakin time i prefer the untouched sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back