The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Dec 17, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #9,528 of 12,546

Recently jumped on the $160 DT880 Pro 250Ohm deal from Adorama and LOVING them so far, but I can't help but wonder if the puny amp in the E10k isn't doing this headphone justice

3/8 on low gain is all I need for the 600 Ω, so volume wise an E10K should suffice. Several people are also content with the E10K with 250 Ω Beyers.

The thing that worries me with the 600 Ω + E10K is that I've read too low output power can cause damage to the headphones
confused.gif
. I've asked about this in the E10K thread but no one seems to know if it's true or not. I'm not forever going to use it, I do have an unopened O2 (and Modi, but I don't think I need it anymore) that'll I use once I get the RCA cables I bought and reorganize my desk. I'm just curious if there's truth in that claim.

Dec 17, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #9,529 of 12,546
  Can any experienced DT880 owners enlighten me on its scaling with SOLID STATE amps? (tubes/tube rolling aren't exactly compatible with 10+ years of debt ahead of me...)

Recently jumped on the $160 DT880 Pro 250Ohm deal from Adorama and LOVING them so far, but I can't help but wonder if the puny amp in the E10k isn't doing this headphone justice

I have a Schiit Magni 2, which seems to do the job just fine with my 600 ohm model.

Dec 17, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #9,530 of 12,546
  I have the DT880 600 Ohm and find it one of my most comfortable hp's but I do have a larger head and could see it being a problem if you had a smaller head. It is a fantastic sounding hp though and always impresses me each time I listen. It was my first "real" hp and I'll be keeping it for the foreseeable future.

I noticed you have an HD600. While I'm happy with the DT880s, I must confess to being curious about several other models, namely the HD600 and the Fidelio X2. The read a ton about the HD and decided I'd probably like the DT880s better, plus one came up on the sales forum at a great price. So I pulled the trigger. Still, the HD600 is always talked about as something of a gold standard. Frankly I payed no attention to the X2 and didn't read about it until recently.

Anyway, what are your thought son the DT880 versus the HD600?

Dec 17, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #9,531 of 12,546
Just ordered this guy, can't wait to listen. Got the 250 Ohm (non-pro), because I don't wanna risk my source not being able to drive a 600-700 Ohm-impedance headphone properly.

Used to own a HD600 (which I liked) and a HD650 (which I kinda liked but the sound tended to be a bit too warm). Didn't like my current headphone inventory enough (K612, HD598, among others), so I sold everything and pretty much blindly ordered two new headphones (one open, one closed (Senn 380Pro)), so I'm looking forward to have a listen!

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #9,532 of 12,546
  Can any experienced DT880 owners enlighten me on its scaling with SOLID STATE amps? (tubes/tube rolling aren't exactly compatible with 10+ years of debt ahead of me...)

I took advantage of the same deal.  I am using an O2.  Mine is the Mayflower Electronics version. (I suggest you compare at least the JDS and Mayflower versions for the better deal at any given time.) I also have a Bravo V2 tube amplifier, which is less expensive than the O2, but which I do not like as much as the O2 when paired with the DT880.  The DT880 is too resolving for the Bravo V2; once you hear the DT880 with the O2, you realize that you lose too much detail when switching back to the V2. I do like the combination of the Bravo V2 with the Beyerdynamic DT235 or the CAL!, which results in a warm, euphonic, mid-centered sound, appropriate for streaming audio.

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #9,533 of 12,546
  I noticed you have an HD600. While I'm happy with the DT880s, I must confess to being curious about several other models, namely the HD600 and the Fidelio X2. The read a ton about the HD and decided I'd probably like the DT880s better, plus one came up on the sales forum at a great price. So I pulled the trigger. Still, the HD600 is always talked about as something of a gold standard. Frankly I payed no attention to the X2 and didn't read about it until recently.

Anyway, what are your thought son the DT880 versus the HD600?

I had all three headphones for a long time and sold HD 600. I like X2 the most, it's most fun headphone out of three.
Beyer has better bass and treble extension and better soundstage then HD 600 and it's little lower in level of midrange, and i like that presentation IMO HD 600 is to forward in midrange. It's harder to drive then HD 600 and works really well with OTL tube amps.

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #9,534 of 12,546
I was able to snag a pair of the 600 ohm versions for $99 from the (brief) Focus Camera deal, and am powering with a O2/ODAC (Massdrop).  Compared to my HD 600, they seem more recessed in bass, which is quite in contrast the reviews I've read and comparison graphs for signal response.  That said, I did see a post somewhere that the 600 ohm versions change in response after break-in: increase in bass, decrease in treble. (http://www.head-fi.org/t/499378/dt880-600-ohm-before-and-after-break-in#post_6740889)

Hope something changes, I was hoping for a bit more low end over HD 600....

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #9,535 of 12,546
  I was able to snag a pair of the 600 ohm versions for $99 from the (brief) Focus Camera deal, and am powering with a O2/ODAC (Massdrop).  Compared to my HD 600, they seem more recessed in bass, which is quite in contrast the reviews I've read and comparison graphs for signal response.  That said, I did see a post somewhere that the 600 ohm versions change in response after break-in: increase in bass, decrease in treble. (http://www.head-fi.org/t/499378/dt880-600-ohm-before-and-after-break-in#post_6740889)

Hope something changes, I was hoping for a bit more low end over HD 600....

HD600 has more mid-bass than DT880
DT880's bass is more linear and extended.

Quote:

3/8 on low gain is all I need for the 600 Ω, so volume wise an E10K should suffice. Several people are also content with the E10K with 250 Ω Beyers.

The thing that worries me with the 600 Ω + E10K is that I've read too low output power can cause damage to the headphones
confused.gif
. I've asked about this in the E10K thread but no one seems to know if it's true or not. I'm not forever going to use it, I do have an unopened O2 (and Modi, but I don't think I need it anymore) that'll I use once I get the RCA cables I bought and reorganize my desk. I'm just curious if there's truth in that claim.

E10K should work just fine. Some higher end amplifiers would sound a little bit better.
None of them (E10K or other SS amp) will damage the headphone at reasonable levels.

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #9,536 of 12,546

And what other differences have you noticed, if I might be so bold?

So I'll do two birds with one stone, I balanced my DT 880 600 ohm to 4Pin xlr an then paired it with a Audio GD NFB10ES2, the amp cost me about $600 

in terms of price though, despite the "ringing" I loved the Schiit vali with my 600 Ohm DT 880, I thought it sounded really fantastic! Granted, the NFb10ES2 was better in terms of speed, clarity an overall resolution, but for a lower budget the Vali was worth while imo 

the Schiit Vali 2 might be as well,  I'll find out on Friday :3 

Dec 17, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #9,537 of 12,546

In my experience the DT 880 250s sound amazingly good with a Schiit Asgard 2.  If your budget is too tight for the Asgard 2 then just buy an Objective O2 and be done with it.

Either amp is capable of driving the 880 250s to dangerous levels. The Asgard has a bit more power and a warmer tilt than the Objective which is very neutral and revealing.  I love my Asgard 2 but I have say the Objective is arguably the best bang for the buck headphone amp yet to come.  To get that level of performance for under $100 USD, current Massdrop price, makes me shake my head in disbelief.  The hype is real on this one.

Kinda surprised to hear so much support for the Asgard 2, it always seemed the be the most underhyped Schiit amp being "just" an extremely solid old school Class A. Especially with the Magni 2 being over 2x cheaper

How is the Asgard 2 with the HD800? It's most likely my next and final headphone. The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on an O2 or Magni 2 is the horror stories I've heard about those amps with an unmodded HD800

confused.gif

You can sleep easy, there's no way a well designed amp like the tried and true E10K will damage headphones. Fiio didn't go from a no name Chinese company to the go to entry level by wrecking our drivers with "too little force"

Maybe it's not the full potential, but you're right, volume is NEVER an issue even on low gain for my 250 ohm

I took advantage of the same deal.  I am using an O2.  Mine is the Mayflower Electronics version. (I suggest you compare at least the JDS and Mayflower versions for the better deal at any given time.) I also have a Bravo V2 tube amplifier, which is less expensive than the O2, but which I do not like as much as the O2 when paired with the DT880.  The DT880 is too resolving for the Bravo V2; once you hear the DT880 with the O2, you realize that you lose too much detail when switching back to the V2. I do like the combination of the Bravo V2 with the Beyerdynamic DT235 or the CAL!, which results in a warm, euphonic, mid-centered sound, appropriate for streaming audio.

I kept hearing about people "taming" the treble on the DT880 using ooey-gooey tubes, thanks for clearing that up!

We didn't buy one of the most resolving headphones ever made just to lose the details to the amp, right? :)

Also, THIRTY THREE pairs of headphones??? Why not just "settle" for 10 + any TOTL at that point? Not trying to be insulting, genuinely curious about one of the largest mid-fi only collections I've seen even on Head Fi

the Schiit Vali 2 might be as well,  I'll find out on Friday :3 

Please post your thoughts! Maybe we'll have a challenger to the Asgard 2!

Dec 17, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #9,538 of 12,546

I have enjoyed for sometime playing my DT880 - 250 using a Meridian Explorer USB DAC / Headphone Amplifier

It is the prior model so it is Available for a great bargain @ AudioAdvisor

Dec 17, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #9,539 of 12,546

I kept hearing about people "taming" the treble on the DT880 using ooey-gooey tubes, thanks for clearing that up!

We didn't buy one of the most resolving headphones ever made just to lose the details to the amp, right? :)

Also, THIRTY THREE pairs of headphones??? Why not just "settle" for 10 + any TOTL at that point? Not trying to be insulting, genuinely curious about one of the largest mid-fi only collections I've seen even on Head Fi

Thank you for the comments on amplification for the DT-880 and the number of headphones I own. No offense taken!  In fact, thank you for making me reflect on this number.  Almost all of my headphones were bought on sale, and many were bought refurbished, B-stock, etc., so the investment is much smaller than it appears to be.  Some fill special needs (e.g., travel, night listening, listening to low-fidelity sources).  Some of the thirty-three are no longer with me: they were given as gifts to family members and others, e.g., at charity events.  In part, my problem is that for many years I was very happy with my Stax SR-44 system, and when it stopped working I had a hard time finding something that seemed to sound as good as that, probably because I was used to its sound.   It is also fun to enjoy the differences among "mid-fi" headphones.  Still, I should rethink my acquisition and giving strategy; maybe I will start selling some that I do not use much any more.

Dec 17, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #9,540 of 12,546

How is the Asgard 2 with the HD800? 

Sounds great, as far as you enjoy it's very clear and analytical presentation.
HD800 has a DT880-like balance in the big scheme of things, but it's significanlty more clinical.

If you feel that DT880 is too clinical, coldish, borderline bass light, then skip the HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back