The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Nov 2, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #9,481 of 12,546
There are a few users who say otherwise . There are many who say there is a subtle difference and some like you who say they are not alike at all. I will take your word on it because I've never heard them.

I had both during a short period of time and imho HE-500 is a better headphone, with better tonality, deeper bass and more extended and cleaner treble. Even the soundstage on HE-500 is more open, wider and deeper. 

Nov 3, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #9,482 of 12,546
Getting a chance to enjoy my DT 880 today as I telework.

5.5G iMod > Leckerton UHA 6S.MKII >DT 880 250ohm
be00bce6dc43a7fe7d70f4ce64768eac.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Nov 5, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #9,483 of 12,546
Quick question: I was trying to register my new dt880 600 ohm on Beyers website but was having trouble finding the serial number.  I read earlier in the thread that it is on the plug where it also says 600 ohm, but I'm not seeing any numbers there.  Am I missing something or is it on the box somewhere?  Any help would be appreciated?

Nov 14, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #9,487 of 12,546
  Mine seems to be on the top flap of the box under a thin barcode.

The same is true of the DT880 Pro.  I registered mine with that number without trouble a week or so ago. By the way, a great deal on the DT880 Pro was listed on the deals thread.  See http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/17970#post_12047497.  I took advantage of it, but it seems to be over now.  I am comparing the DT880 Pro to the DT250-250 now.  I suspect that they use the same driver, but they sound very different.  The DT880 sounds clearer, more open, more detailed.  On the CD that I am comparing them on (Ted Hawkins, Songs from Venice Beach; blues; voice and guitar only), I prefer the  DT880.  I am driving them directly out of an AudioQuest Dragonfly (v1.0), which may not be the ideal situation for a 250 Ohm headphone.

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #9,488 of 12,546
Question. Sorry if this has been asked (as I'm sure it has) but what is the difference between the DT770/880/990 performance-wise? they all seem to be available at roughly the same prices so I can't decide between the three. 

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #9,489 of 12,546
  Question. Sorry if this has been asked (as I'm sure it has) but what is the difference between the DT770/880/990 performance-wise? they all seem to be available at roughly the same prices so I can't decide between the three. 

I've only heard the DT 880 250 Ohm but I'll repeat what is widely known and easily found.

DT 770 = closed back so the smallest sound stage, boosted bass and treble with recessed mids.

DT 880 = semi-open so it doesn't leak as much sound as a fully open headphone but doesn't have the biggest sound stage, neutral sound signature.

DT 990 = fully open with a very large sound stage, boosted bass and treble with recessed mids.

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #9,490 of 12,546

I too own the DT880 250 and selected it for it realistic neutral sound and of course the beyer comfort (found in all three)

The DT770 which even comes in a low impedance version suited for portable use is closed for private listening and external noise suppression.

The DT990 is said to have more bass emphasis which many prefer for some types of music.

A closed headphone by design typically has a narrower sound-stage.  

Most home listeners use a suitable DAC/Amp for the higher impedance headphones, and prefer the open design (DT880/990) w/larger sound-stage.

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #9,491 of 12,546
  DT 880 = semi-open so it doesn't leak as much sound as a fully open headphone but doesn't have the biggest sound stage, neutral sound signature.

Is it true the 880 is semi-open? Its sound is that of a fully open headphones, and it leaks sound as much as a fully open headphone. If the only source of info on that is Beyer themselves, I wouldn't trust them as their informational literature is notoriously sloppy. Has anyone actually disassembled an 880?

Also I wouldn't agree that the 880 'doesn't have the biggest sound stage'. It's heaps big enough for me, and I've heard a hell of a lot of phones.  

Nov 24, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #9,493 of 12,546

Is it true the 880 is semi-open? Its sound is that of a fully open headphones, and it leaks sound as much as a fully open headphone. If the only source of info on that is Beyer themselves, I wouldn't trust them as their informational literature is notoriously sloppy. Has anyone actually disassembled an 880?

Also I wouldn't agree that the 880 'doesn't have the biggest sound stage'. It's heaps big enough for me, and I've heard a hell of a lot of phones.  

Not sure if I would consider them semi-open but they are definitely less open than the DT 990 as the DT 880 has more dampening material than the DT 990 which does make them more closed-in physically than the DT 990, but I still consider both open.

The DT 880 has a felt circle over the driver the DT 990 doesn't have. The DT 880 also has a mesh filter on the back of the driver while the DT 990 lacks this. Other than different earcup grills I think that is the only differences between the two headphones.

Nov 24, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #9,494 of 12,546

I'd say mostly open actually.  I think Beyer says semi-open?  It actually doesn't leak as much sound as a fully open headphone.  My K7xx leaks way more sound.  I'm speaking of sound leaking out mind you, both let about an equal amount of sound in.

I saw a thread where someone disassembled the DT 880 and perhaps other Beyers too.  He showed that it was indeed not fully open.

There are headphones with a much bigger sound stage than the DT 880, regardless of how much you are satisfied with it.  The DT 880 Pro actually sounds a bit too closed in for my preference and not fully open.  My K7xx has a significantly wider, deeper, and slightly taller sound stage.

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #9,495 of 12,546
  Not a fan of congested sound nor recessed mids, so sounds like the 880 is the one for me.

I definitely would not describe my DT880's as congested or having recessed mids. I think associated equipment plays a roll in how people perceive there hp's. I power my DT880's with either a LD MKIII or Beresford Capella amp. Very different sound from each but very entertaining as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back