The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jan 26, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #6,241 of 12,546
  In total abandon of my my free IEM's, I just ordered some dt880's! I'm super excited and I hope they're as good as I think they will be. I plan on listening to mostly classical and some old school rock with em. I also ordered a fiio e10 dac/amp for them. Now audio is not my hobby, these phones are just a means to enjoy my real hobby. Music! That being said should I save up money to replace the e10 with something nicer? Or can I use that money for buying more music!

you may want to consider having one IEM or small on-ear headphone for outdoors/commute settings.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #6,242 of 12,546
  In total abandon of my my free IEM's, I just ordered some dt880's! I'm super excited and I hope they're as good as I think they will be. I plan on listening to mostly classical and some old school rock with em. I also ordered a fiio e10 dac/amp for them. Now audio is not my hobby, these phones are just a means to enjoy my real hobby. Music! That being said should I save up money to replace the e10 with something nicer? Or can I use that money for buying more music!

If I were you, knowing what I know now, I would plan on upgrading the E10 at some point.  A lot of people, including me as of yesterday, have said that the DT 880 scales nicely with equipment.  Honestly, I never noticed a huge improvement using my Hifimediy Sabre DAC and either my E11 or Vali amp.  From what I have gathered in my own search for a cheap DAC/amp combo, the E10 is not any better than the setups that I had been using.  That's not to say the DT 880 with my setups sounded bad to me, just not much better than without a DAC or amp.  However, I received my Little Dot DAC I yesterday, which has completely changed my perception on DACs (and amps).  I immediately noticed a huge improvement in impact with all of my music (especially with heavier rock).  I also am now definitely hearing more bass.  If you are like me, you like to keep costs down.  If you check the For Sale forums here, you will be able to save a ton of money if you do decide to upgrade.

Anyway, I really like the DT 880 with all kinds of classic rock.  I'm not a fan of classical music, but I could certainly see the DT 880 excelling with it.  I think you will be very happy with your choice in headphones.

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #6,243 of 12,546
Awesome guys. I'll keep that in mind talisman, I'll probably use my free in-ears in I really need some. Amps are starting to really frustrate me. head-fi always stresses that you need an amp, but other websites, like ken rockwell will say that I'm fine without an amp/dac. I plan on getting the e10 and seeing first hand what the amp sounds like. If I don't need it I'll just return them. BigbenrfanYou said you noticed "a huge improvement" with the little dot. I feel like that might me a exaggeration? Did the little dot really give that noticeable difference from the e10/no amp? 

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #6,244 of 12,546
The DT880's are also on my short list for a new set of HP's, and I listen to mostly rock. Equipment to be used will be Schiit Modi and Asgard 2. Which ohm DT880's would be best. Eventually I'll upgrade the DAC to a Schiit Bifrost, but will have to get by with the Modi for the next 6 months to a year.

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #6,246 of 12,546
  Jgreen, this review is the best review I've seen for the dt880's. It will probably answer a lot of your questions.

Yeah I just love the PayPal "Subscribe" monthly donation button at the bottom of his page... 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #6,248 of 12,546
Haha ya I thought that it was silly when I saw it too. He still has good information regardless, though.

My understanding is that photographers hate Ken Rockwell's site.

I'm no expert photographer, but I must admit I've seen far better photography sites than Rockwell's.

Ken's a weird guy.
He has compared audiophiles to pedophiles.
No, that's not a joke and I am not amused.

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #6,249 of 12,546

The DT880's are also on my short list for a new set of HP's, and I listen to mostly rock. Equipment to be used will be Schiit Modi and Asgard 2. Which ohm DT880's would be best. Eventually I'll upgrade the DAC to a Schiit Bifrost, but will have to get by with the Modi for the next 6 months to a year.

I think both of you would like the DT 880, the Fiio E10 will be a nice match for the DT 880, it has an EQ and it is a touch warm

additionally jGreen if your thinking about getting the Dt 880, I would grab a Schiit vali over the Modi, and the 250 ohm beyer would pair nice with the Vali as it would also do nice with the E10 

and at King socks, teh E10 is a great place to start! You can certianly enjoy it with the      dt 880, or can you save up for the Schiit Modi and Schiit Vali combo stack which is about $220 or so dollars new 

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #6,250 of 12,546
I think both of you would like the DT 880, the Fiio E10 will be a nice match for the DT 880, it has an EQ and it is a touch warm

additionally jGreen if your thinking about getting the Dt 880, I would grab a Schiit vali over the Modi, and the 250 ohm beyer would pair nice with the Vali as it would also do nice with the E10 

and at King socks, teh E10 is a great place to start! You can certianly enjoy it with the      dt 880, or can you save up for the Schiit Modi and Schiit Vali combo stack which is about $220 or so dollars new 

E10 only has bass boost, not EQ. And the Modi is a DAC, which you seem to know since you mentioned it in the stack a sentence later. :D

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #6,251 of 12,546

I'm a landscape photographer and have read some of his reviews and realized what kind of nonsense he puts out. On his site you can also read about how global warming isn't real because its cold in New York in winter and several reviews of gear he hasn't even used.

Donate and help his growing family !

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #6,252 of 12,546
E10 only has bass boost, not EQ. And the Modi is a DAC, which you seem to know since you mentioned it in the stack a sentence later.
biggrin.gif

What... I thought the E10 had a Treble and bass adjustment EQ and yes it is a Dac\amp combo  the E10 right, he mentioned wanting to know if an uprade was something he should and could do, and I suggested the Modi Vali Schiit stack as an upgrade to the E10 

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #6,253 of 12,546

With the Little Dot DAC I, I noticed a significant increase in impact of rock music, as well as an increase in bass.  I don't really think I am hearing any more detail, and the soundstage is no larger than it was with the Hifimediy Sabre DAC.  Since you said you mainly listen to classical music, this "impact" is not as relevant to you as it is to me.  However, I definitely like classic rock (which you said you sometimes listen to) more with the Little Dot DAC than before.

It's just something to consider if you feel that you want more impact with classic rock.  Really, this was the only area of the DT 880 that I thought needed a little improvement.

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #6,254 of 12,546
Ok, you guys convinced me that I might be wrong about ken. He does seem weird from what you guys say.

Quote:
  With the Little Dot DAC I, I noticed a significant increase in impact of rock music, as well as an increase in bass.  I don't really think I am hearing any more detail, and the soundstage is no larger than it was with the Hifimediy Sabre DAC.  Since you said you mainly listen to classical music, this "impact" is not as relevant to you as it is to me.  However, I definitely like classic rock (which you said you sometimes listen to) more with the Little Dot DAC than before.

It's just something to consider if you feel that you want more impact with classic rock.  Really, this was the only area of the DT 880 that I thought needed a little improvement.

Thanks for the additional information bigben. I'll keep the littledot in mind.

Sounds good, I'm happy that they will be decent together. Thanks for the response.
I was looking around and started reading post about the objective2 and it started to make me want to try my hand at making one. I lot of what I read was from a guy called nwavguy. I'm a electrical engineering student (I know very, very little though) so I thought this project would be a fun project to start getting my hand dirty. What do you guys think of the o2?

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #6,255 of 12,546
What... I thought the E10 had a Treble and bass adjustment EQ and yes it is a Dac\amp combo  the E10 right, he mentioned wanting to know if an uprade was something he should and could do, and I suggested the Modi Vali Schiit stack as an upgrade to the E10 
E10 is just bass boost, E7 and E17 has the adjustable EQ.

I was referring to this :

additionally jGreen if your thinking about getting the Dt 880, I would grab a Schiit vali over the Modi, and the 250 ohm beyer would pair nice with the Vali as it would also do nice with the E10 ,
vali and modi aren't swappable. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back