The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Dec 5, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #5,656 of 12,546
Agreed on all accounts. Right now I'm planning on getting a Bottlehead Crack as my next purchase and I like the DT880 enough that once I have that I don't think I'll be able to resist picking up a 600 ohm version just to see if if it performs better with the Crack. Although I really don't need two DT880s, I like them so much that both would probably still get use haha. Generally I can avoid unnecessary purchases of cans that are very similar to ones I already have (I still don't have an HD650!) but if there is even a small improvement once I'm plugging into an OTL amp with high output impedance then I'll have to take the plunge with the 600 ohm version. As capable as the DT880 is, its hard not to want to get every bit you can out of them. I'm sure my 250 ohm Pro will work fine with the Crack but it would be interesting to compare the higher ohm version in that scenario.

Once I've got a Crack I may be near the end of my journey (hopefully anyway, for my wallet's sake). I still plan on getting an HD800 at some point (or the T1 if I find that I like it even better) but I'm purposefully procrastinating on that so I don't have to answer to myself for the hole its going to put in my bank account. Oh well, its good to have something to look forward to in this hobby. :)

Dec 5, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #5,657 of 12,546
I pondered the Crack & Speedball before setteling on the LittleDot MK IV, the Crack was just a tad out of budget and a long wait. 
wink.gif

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #5,658 of 12,546
  Agreed on all accounts. Right now I'm planning on getting a Bottlehead Crack as my next purchase and I like the DT880 enough that once I have that I don't think I'll be able to resist picking up a 600 ohm version just to see if if it performs better with the Crack. Although I really don't need two DT880s, I like them so much that both would probably still get use haha. Generally I can avoid unnecessary purchases of cans that are very similar to ones I already have (I still don't have an HD650!) but if there is even a small improvement once I'm plugging into an OTL amp with high output impedance then I'll have to take the plunge with the 600 ohm version. As capable as the DT880 is, its hard not to want to get every bit you can out of them. I'm sure my 250 ohm Pro will work fine with the Crack but it would be interesting to compare the higher ohm version in that scenario.

Once I've got a Crack I may be near the end of my journey (hopefully anyway, for my wallet's sake). I still plan on getting an HD800 at some point (or the T1 if I find that I like it even better) but I'm purposefully procrastinating on that so I don't have to answer to myself for the hole its going to put in my bank account. Oh well, its good to have something to look forward to in this hobby. :)

hd800 (fully balanced)
I had it with my setup for two months....
It was GREAT AND AWESOME
But...after selling it and getting my hands on dt880 manufaktur I was shocked at how good the dt880 did compared to the hd800...
hd800 wins by far in soundstage and depth wise...imaging and detail? Of course it wins but not by that much...
hd800 might have been a tad too thin for me in order for it to have the transparency it has but...dt880s although is a tad more grainy in that aspect makes the music sound a bit fuller..
Honestly the dt880s are just a miracle.
That's just my take.

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #5,659 of 12,546
You can also consider the Schiit Valhalla as an OTL option for the 880. I had the pairing for a year and it was fantastic. I brought the rig to a meet and quite a few people were very impressed with the combination. The Valhalla is well worth considering as well.

Dec 5, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #5,660 of 12,546
Because, pressure having a chance to dissipate is actually more powerful than the same being contained in a defined space? Yea, that makes sense.

I should have mentioned that I stumbled upon this when I used an SPL to measure the SPL of "Loud music" from my stereo when I was attempting to estimate the classic question "how much power do I need to put hair on my chest", LOL!

Turns out the difference in attentuation between 3 feet away from speakers and 12 feet away was approx. 2 dB.
I would think your experience may be difference based on your room and dispersion characteristics of your speakers.

So I qualify with: YMMV.

Dec 5, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #5,661 of 12,546
  You can also consider the Schiit Valhalla as an OTL option for the 880. I had the pairing for a year and it was fantastic. I brought the rig to a meet and quite a few people were very impressed with the combination. The Valhalla is well worth considering as well.

I wonder how that combo sounds my self... I'll actually know what a Vali sounds like with an 880... I doo plan on getting a Vali... will let you know what I think when I get a hold of it! 

Dec 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #5,662 of 12,546
Too bad they are using those little soldered tubes in the Vali... Makes it a little more work if you want to roll them, but they are cheap to find. :D

Dec 5, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #5,663 of 12,546
  I wonder how that combo sounds my self... I'll actually know what a Vali sounds like with an 880... I doo plan on getting a Vali... will let you know what I think when I get a hold of it! 

I'll look for your posts once you do get the combination. As I said, I really liked the Vali/880 combination. The slight tube sweetness in my mind actually enhances the 880s in the sense that a slight euphonic warmth makes them more engaging. I remember listening to Two Against Nature by Steely Dan and being mesmerized by the great tonality and dynamics. I miss my Valhalla. Once funds aren't an issue I will for sure add a nice tube piece of kit.  

Dec 5, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #5,664 of 12,546
Received the 880/250 today. They're burning in... Think I'm going to really like these headphones with my iPod, solo-db dac and SR-71a / Larocco PrII mk2.

Dec 6, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #5,666 of 12,546
  Waiting for new gear to arrive is the worst feeling in the world. DT880s got delayed a day for no apparent reason. They'll be here tomorrow. I can't wait! 
beyersmile.png

I hate when that kind of stuff happens. Let us know what you think when they arrive! 
smile.gif

Dec 6, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #5,667 of 12,546
  Waiting for new gear to arrive is the worst feeling in the world. DT880s got delayed a day for no apparent reason. They'll be here tomorrow. I can't wait! 
beyersmile.png

I want to see the smile on your face when you listen to them...
*hinthint*

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #5,668 of 12,546

I'll look for your posts once you do get the combination. As I said, I really liked the Vali/880 combination. The slight tube sweetness in my mind actually enhances the 880s in the sense that a slight euphonic warmth makes them more engaging. I remember listening to Two Against Nature by Steely Dan and being mesmerized by the great tonality and dynamics. I miss my Valhalla. Once funds aren't an issue I will for sure add a nice tube piece of kit.  

Yar, my Vali is in bound, I worry though if the Vali can power the DT 880 600 ohm well enough... honestly the NFB 10ES2 sounds fantastic with my DT 880! THe vali is mostly for my W1000x, and it's going to be my desktop amp at mah new office job <3

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #5,669 of 12,546
  Received the 880/250 today. They're burning in... Think I'm going to really like these headphones with my iPod, solo-db dac and SR-71a / Larocco PrII

I really enjoy my 880/250s. I will say though that they sounded terrible out of the box before I burned them in. I also had a bad source/amp and other things that could have contributed to a tinny sound. Once burn in was over 200 hours I could hear the bass opening up more and less grain in the sound and beautifully extended treble.

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #5,670 of 12,546
Actually they were pretty good out of the box to my ears but I think it can only get better from here... They're cooking as i type... Using this http://www.jlabaudio.com/burn.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back