The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Dec 3, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #5,581 of 12,546
Yeah I'm getting the Pro 250ohm. Also, what qualifies as a decent source? I use a TASCAM US-100 audio interface right now if that fits the bill. Also, that LittleDot Mk2 is nearing the price I'm paying for the headphones currently. Are there any more frugal options available / will most tube amps do the job well? From what I've read on Head-Fi my understanding is that the 880s are picky when it comes to amps.

A decent source is any good DAC to be honest. I don't have experience with your source but I'm assuming It would get the job done.

Another option would be the Bravo Audio ocean tube amp, I've heard a lot of great things about this little amp.

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #5,582 of 12,546
A decent source is any good DAC to be honest. I don't have experience with your source but I'm assuming It would get the job done.

Another option would be the Bravo Audio ocean tube amp, I've heard a lot of great things about this little amp.

Sweet. That Bravo Audio amp looks good. I think I'll go with it.

Probably redundant now but here's the recommendation request post I made that no one is going to reply to if you want to look over it. 
beyersmile.png

Thanks for your help.

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #5,583 of 12,546
  Yeah I'm getting the Pro 250ohm. Also, what qualifies as a decent source? I use a TASCAM US-100 audio interface right now if that fits the bill. Also, that LittleDot Mk2 is nearing the price I'm paying for the headphones currently. Are there any more frugal options available / will most tube amps do the job well? From what I've read on Head-Fi my understanding is that the 880s are picky when it comes to amps.

if you are getting the 250ohm version...a solid state would do nicely...that being said a lot of people in this thread are using the fiio combos. You can consider looking into those? 

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #5,584 of 12,546
Dec 3, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #5,586 of 12,546
And the minor factor the that output bias on the amplifier is around 580V RMS...
rolleyes.gif

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #5,587 of 12,546
  well stats usually have an impedence of 100k ohms or something in that ball park

Oh yea, I forget I'll need a Nuclear Generator to power them <3

Actually, I knew a guy once who powered an old Stax Sigma with a Little Dot MK 1+ he ofc upgraded to a Electro Stat amp and got some nice improvements but 

screw it, I'm enjoying my wood back dynamics to much to be bothere'd with discussions of electro stats <3 

That said... ugh these highs... I've got an an awesome post rock album... but the mastering of the High Hats is horrific >.> a real shame... and it wasn't a trans code either... just a HUGE amount of excessive noise in the 16k+ area... oh well 

That said, the on going battle between my w1000x and DT 880 Rages on... today the DT 880 won Adele Live at Royal Albert Hall! 

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #5,588 of 12,546
  Oh yea, I forget I'll need a Nuclear Generator to power them <3

Actually, I knew a guy once who powered an old Stax Sigma with a Little Dot MK 1+ he ofc upgraded to a Electro Stat amp and got some nice improvements but 

screw it, I'm enjoying my wood back dynamics to much to be bothere'd with discussions of electro stats <3 

That said... ugh these highs... I've got an an awesome post rock album... but the mastering of the High Hats is horrific >.> a real shame... and it wasn't a trans code either... just a HUGE amount of excessive noise in the 16k+ area... oh well 

That said, the on going battle between my w1000x and DT 880 Rages on... today the DT 880 won Adele Live at Royal Albert Hall! 

dt880 wins in every aspect for me...I had the w1000x like 1 month ago and I sold them. I know its closed back but dt880s just sound too amazing :D
And on the stats note....there are transformers which basically take ur dynamic headphone amp add juice to it and make it powerful enough to drive stats efficiently. I think woo audio has one

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #5,589 of 12,546
  dt880 wins in every aspect for me...I had the w1000x like 1 month ago and I sold them. I know its closed back but dt880s just sound too amazing :D

Again the W1000x needs modding and new Pads... but that said... if I didn't need closed headphones for my Portable usage [mostly in libraries an around noisy morons] the Dt 880s would be all I own. I just got an EQ for them for EDM which while not as fast as my HE 400 [which was balanced] is equally enjoyable. Meaning these cans really can do almost everything super duper! 

Except Rock... I've never liked the DT 880 with Rock Music :/, For Metal I LOVES it but for rock an roll, I do like the almost... better imaged w1000x

I still feel the W1000x is a very percise headphone, the DT 880 has a nice Sound stage and good imaginging, but nothing beats those Angled drivers in the W1000x. It's a little more ... exact with left right and center 

LIstening to a song now, and yea the DT 880 has left and right easily seperated, great air on them both! 

But the W1000x has slighty more intimate mids and the very same imaging depth and space. Not as wide but not much narrower. It's the slighty intimate nature of mids, combined with it's sound stage that make it really great for Rock imo. That and the little tinsy bit of extra body of the Wood Back in the Bass is nice for rock... truth b told I'm still a bass head at the end of the day, and as a guy who used to play bass [I really want my Bass Back... my idiot dad pwned it]

I like a little extra body to my bass, and only with closed back do you get that... I guess I like open and closed bass honestly... which Is why I own open and closed headphones :D 

On that note I'm SLEEPY night pals 

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #5,590 of 12,546
  Again the W1000x needs modding and new Pads... but that said... if I didn't need closed headphones for my Portable usage [mostly in libraries an around noisy morons] the Dt 880s would be all I own.

Actually of all the open headphones I've owned the 880 leaks sound the least. I guess it has to do with them being "semi-open".

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #5,591 of 12,546
I've found it difficult to get a read on how much sound the DT880 leaks. When I'm holding my pair in my hands it's almost as bad as the pair of Grados I once had. That's to be expected, of course, since the cups aren't blocked as they would be when the headphones are actually worn. But simulating this blockage by covering the cups (either with my hands, or by putting the set on my thigh) doesn't appreciably decrease the leakage. Only when somebody else wears them does the leakage seem to be deadened. I can still follow the song, but it's a lot quieter than in the other two instances. Clearly having your ear inside the cup forms some kind of seal or blockage with the driver that you don't get just by covering the pads with something.

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #5,592 of 12,546
  I've found it difficult to get a read on how much sound the DT880 leaks. When I'm holding my pair in my hands it's almost as bad as the pair of Grados I once had. That's to be expected, of course, since the cups aren't blocked as they would be when the headphones are actually worn. But simulating this blockage by covering the cups (either with my hands, or by putting the set on my thigh) doesn't appreciably decrease the leakage. Only when somebody else wears them does the leakage seem to be deadened. I can still follow the song, but it's a lot quieter than in the other two instances. Clearly having your ear inside the cup forms some kind of seal or blockage with the driver that you don't get just by covering the pads with something.

best way to do it....get a friend and have them stand next to you while you are listening :D

Dec 4, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #5,593 of 12,546
Hi everyone.
I recently purchased the 600 ohm version of the DT880.
I currently use them with a powerful A/V receiver but I feel like I might be able to get much better quality through a headphone amp and dac. I have about a $300 budget max on the amp and dac, which will be used at home. I am new to headphones and driving them, so can anyone give me a few suggestions that fall in my budget? 
Thank you.

Dec 4, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #5,594 of 12,546
Hi everyone.
I recently purchased the 600 ohm version of the DT880.
I currently use them with a powerful A/V receiver but I feel like I might be able to get much better quality through a headphone amp and dac. I have about a $300 budget max on the amp and dac, which will be used at home. I am new to headphones and driving them, so can anyone give me a few suggestions that fall in my budget? 
Thank you.

For $300, your best bet would likely be some sort of Schitt stack.

http://schiit.com/

Depending on whether you prefer a discrete amp or a tube amp, you can go with either:

1) Modi (DAC) + Magni (discrete amp), or
2) Modi (DAC) + Vali (mini tube amp)

As you can see from my signature, I have the PC -> Modi -> Magni -> DT880 600Ω, and it sounds nothing short of wonderful. The Magni is plenty of amp to drive the DT880 600Ω.

Dec 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #5,595 of 12,546
For $300, your best bet would likely be some sort of Schitt stack.

http://schiit.com/

Depending on whether you prefer a discrete amp or a tube amp, you can go with either:

1) Modi (DAC) + Magni (discrete amp), or
2) Modi (DAC) + Vali (mini tube amp)

As you can see from my signature, I have the PC -> Modi -> Magni -> DT880 600Ω, and it sounds nothing short of wonderful. The Magni is plenty of amp to drive the DT880 600Ω.

Awesome! I'll check that out. Thank you for the immediate reply as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back