The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
May 22, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #12,241 of 12,546
Make no mistake lol I blame you all for this,
but mostly looking @jonathan c lol j/k... like I needed another set of can's:smiling_imp:

Had me looking about and just found/kind of bought myself some DT 880 600 ohm, well technically they were free, but I had to pay postage (only fair lol) to play with. I'm warned they are faulty, only one side works 'n no pads.... I'm betting cable or just voice coil, either way I'll try balance modding them and converting to all silver internal and external.. but I kinda think I'll go single side cable, when I can be bothered as I could change my other Beyers over to balanced 'n share cables..:thinking:... I'm cheap 'n lazy! I call it wisdom rofl...

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #12,242 of 12,546
Make no mistake lol I blame you all for this,
but mostly looking @jonathan c lol... like I needed another set of can's:smiling_imp:

Had me looking about and just found/kind of bought myself some DT 880 600 ohm, well technically they were free, but I had to pay postage (only fair lol) to play with. I'm warned they are faulty, only one side works 'n no pads.... I'm betting cable or just voice coil, either way I'll try balance modding them and converting to all silver internal and external.. but I kinda think I'll go single side cable, when I can be bothered as I could change my other Beyers over to balanced 'n share cables..:thinking:... I'm cheap 'n lazy! I call it wisdom rofl...
The mini XLRs are available in 4 pin. I always wondered why Audeze (and possibly others) use the 4 pin setup on dual entry cans. Anyway, that should be a good way to do single side cable and still be balanced :)

Lettuce know how you make out. I'll eventually mod mine to dual-entry with the mini XLRs. Aside from laziness, my main obstacle now is how to drill the earcup holes correctly.

May 22, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #12,243 of 12,546
The mini XLRs are available in 4 pin. I always wondered why Audeze (and possibly others) use the 4 pin setup on dual entry cans. Anyway, that should be a good way to do single side cable and still be balanced :)

Lettuce know how you make out. I'll eventually mod mine to dual-entry with the mini XLRs. Aside from laziness, my main obstacle now is how to drill the earcup holes correctly.
I've already got all the bit's 'n bob's on -hand so to speak to do this kind of stuff... I like the Rean/Neutrik stuff and have lots of it, made dozens of Audeze cables etc... Got some different options/types of pure/silver plated litz in my stash too I should be able to use. Good times!

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #12,244 of 12,546
I've already got all the bit's 'n bob's to do this kind of stuff... I like the Rean/Neutrik stuff and have lots of it... Got some different options/types of pure/silver plated litz in my stash too I should be able to use. Good times!
There's a problem with the new Rean mini XLRs with the square release button, at times they jam badly and the only way to remove them is to unscrew the barrell and pull it out in two pieces. It's bad enough that @jfunk has a youtube video on how to get them off your headphones and I understood he worked with a manufacturer to get special connectors which he uses for his projects.

The old round button style Reans were fine, but I believe they're not made anymore.

May 22, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #12,245 of 12,546
Oh I hope they sort that quick, mine are all old stock (just like me lol) with the round button... I have a few others options also in my kit but I do like Rean/Nuetrik but that's just me.....

May 22, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #12,246 of 12,546
I used to prefer Neutrik as well, but lately I switched to Hicon. The Hicon 1/4 inch plugs have a drilled-out solder lug where Neutrik usually does not, and the Hicon XLRs have a brilliant design that makes them much easier to solder and hook up solidly. I think the parent company owns Neutrik / Rean / Hicon, so it's surprising how different the plugs and sockets are.

May 22, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #12,247 of 12,546
I used to prefer Neutrik as well, but lately I switched to Hicon. The Hicon 1/4 inch plugs have a drilled-out solder lug where Neutrik usually does not, and the Hicon XLRs have a brilliant design that makes them much easier to solder and hook up solidly. I think the parent company owns Neutrik / Rean / Hicon, so it's surprising how different the plugs and sockets are.
Legend, ty for that , will have to check em out.... :smiley:

May 22, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #12,248 of 12,546
This was another cable I made for my K550s (as i have 2 pairs)

Mini xlr - 3.5mm cables seem a bit harder to get hold of at the moment. in the UK, there used to be some sold that likely were put together in the UK from 3 seperate company's parts. A Switchcraft Mini XLR socket, a Neutrik Rean 3.5mm plug and some Van Dmme cable. You could choose any length, but it was nearly £20.

Neutrik make really good quality connectors so I went for a 3.5mm plug and mini xlr socket from this UK site here:
https://custom-lynx.co.uk

https://custom-lynx.co.uk/product/rt3fc-b/
https://custom-lynx.co.uk/product/c...r-plated-balanced-patch-cable-ptmc-per-metre/
https://custom-lynx.co.uk/product/nys231bg-ll/

As you can see, it doesn't cost much if you wire it up yourself. These are very good components. Certainly better than many of the available mini xlr cables. You can also buy this ready made - and specify any length even to the millimeter. This is more expensive though:
https://custom-lynx.co.uk/product/c...5mm-trs-mini-jack-lead-black-gold-connectors/

I got a right angle 3.5mm connector. Ugh this was not nice to wire up with this thick cable. The straight connectors are so much easier to wire up.

Here is my result anyway:
P1190632.JPGP1190635.JPGP1190638.JPG

Short, chunky cable for my very portable headphones!

I also will quote my post of the xlr plug I added to my K550s. It however probably won't help that much for those wanting to mod the DT880s. However, anybody who can share pics of how they get a mini xlr in place, i may do that in the future on mine.

Bought and received my mini XLR connector.

P1050008.JPG

Plugged it into one of my 3.5mm to mini XLR cables to make it easier to solder to. These wires are from the original K550 cable. The ones at the end of the cable in the ear cup were a mess, so I stripped the cable a bit further down and got some in good condition. Even these wires seem a tiny bit too thick to neatly slide into the contacts, so I made a bit of a mess, but they are on securely enough and I put some heat shrink over them.
P1050010.JPG
Was difficult to decide weather to finish off with a drill or a file as i didn't want it to be uneven. It needed to be a fraction wider than 10mm, but worked out reasonably in the end.

P1050011.JPG
I realized after doing this that I wouldn't be able to put the rubber/silicone disks back in under the center of the driver, but I really struggle to tell any difference with or without them with both these and my new MKIIIs. I also expected that I would somehow manage to tighten the nut up fully, which wasn't the case.

P1050012.JPG
After cutting and filing down the screw threads for the old cable grip, I could get the nut part way down, but the connector still wobbled somewhat.

P1050015.JPG
Ended up using hot melt glue which will obviously make undoing it rather difficult, but I don't think it should need more doing to it. I was aware I could have used the wrong colour wires for this. So many audio cables have different colours so I just had to use put them on randomly and then use a multi meter to check what was correct. I just got the red and yellow the wrong way round so simply soldered them to the back of the driver the opposite way round to what they were originally. I put a little too much glue in but as it was still soft (not sticky), when i screwed the driver and plastic surrounding back in place, it went back where it should be.
P1050016.JPG
Apperence wise, it may not be great for some as I didn't make the connector come out level, so it is at a slight angle.
P1050017.JPG
Even more of an angle here, but if anything, this hardly matters at all. It is the left side, meaning it comes out going forwards slightly. Looks strange but I see it as a slight benefit as the MKIII goes directly down and with the connector included, it does get quite close to your shoulder if you slouch in your chair. With this, it isn't the case as much.
P1050018.JPG
Other than when you look really closely, it doesn't look too bad. Think I've been quite lucky given it is my first attempt at doing putting this sort of connector on headphones.
P1050024.JPG

As I said before, the reason why i don't like fixed cables is that you can't easily adjust the length of it for different uses. 3 meters is good for my desk, but only if it is tidied out the way, and then my headphones are basically attached to my desk which then makes it annoying to use them elsewhere. Then as I've become so used to having mini XLR connectors on my new K550s and K702s (when i had them), I like the fact the connector clicks and locks into place and only comes undone with a push of the button. A 3.5mm cable just wouldn't be what I would want. I would have thought just the weight of the cable dropping (if it is a long one) would often pull it out.

I have a 1m and a 3m heavy duty cable for these as well as what came with my new K550s which I haven't used yet. So that makes it easier for use in different places and makes my old ones more portable.

Even though My new K550s are in much better condition than these, I think it was worth spending £5 to try this out. Seems to have worked well so far.

May 22, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #12,249 of 12,546
Nice work. How did you drill the earcups?

May 22, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #12,251 of 12,546
How did you hold the earcups while you were drilling?

May 22, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #12,252 of 12,546
Getting the best out of your headphones :gs1000smile:
1653228164205.png

May 22, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #12,253 of 12,546
That picture is an obvious forgery :D

May 22, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #12,254 of 12,546
I think I just used wood dril bits as it is soft plastic, and the sharp point at the end is a good guide to get it pretty accurate. Just chose the appropriate size according to the thread on the xlr plug. Due to it being angled, I couldn't tighten the nut fully, so that is why i used hot melt glue.

How did you hold the earcups while you were drilling?
I put the ear cup in a vice with a thick cloth either side.

May 23, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #12,255 of 12,546
Hi, I just bought 32 ohm version, simply because I would like to use a small DAC/Amp to power it connected with an old handphone. It sounds good, the treble is high enough, mid is good, bass extended while the quantity is just enough. I mainly use it to listen to Classic, Jazz, Acoustics and female vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back