The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Oct 16, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #11,012 of 12,546
I know still early for me to do a comparison between the DT880 and HD700 to my ears not a whole lot of difference when it comes to the sound they both have a bright sound signature luckily i got my HD700 for a reasonable price otherwise if i paid for a new HD700 i will kick my self on the head.Considering the DT880 price it's a good value for the money and for the HD700 for $$$$ not worth it at least for me.

Oct 20, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #11,013 of 12,546
I know still early for me to do a comparison between the DT880 and HD700 to my ears not a whole lot of difference when it comes to the sound they both have a bright sound signature luckily i got my HD700 for a reasonable price otherwise if i paid for a new HD700 i will kick my self on the head.Considering the DT880 price it's a good value for the money and for the HD700 for $$$$ not worth it at least for me.
I tried free trial of sonarworks true-fi, and they have the dt880 as a listed headphone. The pro 250 ohm anyway, don't think the 600ohm version. It does make a difference, and to me anyway the greatest difference in the 250ohm was a bit of a "blacker" background as i noticed some hiss went away, as it does level out those spikes, and gives it a bass boost to their interpretation of completely flat FR. The changes weren't drastic, but noticeable, and though i can EQ myself to my liking, i did think the neutral FR curve they come up with is pleasant and accurate somewhat, or moreso relative to stock.

Another note, i saw a thread on closed dt880 (which i'm not going to comment on atm) but this pic

708126_thumb.jpg

shows the grill can be popped off. Would a completely open (like hd600/650) do any good? ANyone try it. Thanks :)

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #11,014 of 12,546
Open DT880=DT990
Sealed DT880=DT770
Basically....

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #11,017 of 12,546
Simply closing up the cups of an open headphone will not create a good result. Closed headphones (good ones, at least) are full of design compromises and damping in order to deal with the back wave from the drivers. Open headphones don't need any of this, so it's not present in the design. Therefore, if you just close up the cups, you'll invariably end up with the cuppy-sounding wonkiness in the midrange and boomy, uncontrolled bass you often find in poorly designed closed headphones.

It is, of course, always possible to try further modding in order to counteract some of these effects. If you've got a good driver to work with, it might yield satisfying results.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #11,018 of 12,546
Simply closing up the cups of an open headphone will not create a good result.

No one does a modification like that without knowing that the resulting sound will be different. And if you do this kind of mod you have to make sure that you use dampening material then should be no problems with the sound at all. It might even sound better...

I've always prefered closed-back headphones because they are closed off to your surroundings thus nothing that can be heard from a recording is missing. Open-back headphones (most of them) tend to have chunks of information missing, even though they do sound natural.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #11,019 of 12,546
No one does a modification like that without knowing that the resulting sound will be different. And if you do this kind of mod you have to make sure that you use dampening material then should be no problems with the sound at all. It might even sound better...

I've always prefered closed-back headphones because they are closed off to your surroundings thus nothing that can be heard from a recording is missing. Open-back headphones (most of them) tend to have chunks of information missing, even though they do sound natural.

"Information missing" ????????????? Please explain.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #11,020 of 12,546
"Information missing" ????????????? Please explain.

Maybe the guitar solo is missing.. lol

Actually I have to respectfully disagree with his statement. My open headphones do not have "chunks" missing.

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #11,022 of 12,546
Open-back headphone drivers are exposed to the environment thus certain frequencies are almost (if not completely) inaudible.

More often than not I listen at home in a fairly quiet environment. I agree that you need closed headphones or IEMs outdoors or on a bus or train...or noisy office.

Anyone with even just a basic understanding of acoustic engineering should understand this.!.

Of course. It just sounded funny to say chunks are missing...like if the singer was skipping words:) I have a weird imagination...I was hearing it in my mind:)

Nov 2, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #11,024 of 12,546
Probably been asked a thousand times but how would you compare the dt880 against the ATH ad700/900?

-deleted-

edited to add.... I had read your post too quickly... I thought you meant dt700 and dt900. If you meant audio technica I have not heard those. I wrote a whole long thing about the beyers... time for a cup of tea:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back