The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jan 28, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #6,271 of 12,546
I think you guys forgot bout DT990 & DT880 Manufaktur.  
dt880smile.png

Jan 28, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #6,272 of 12,546
@Tsukinick: are you serious? I find Dt880 premium is the prettiest of the three ^^(True dat)

In Beyer house, the most attractive one get my vote is Dt t90, truly sexy beast. The ranking would be T90>T1>Dt880>Dt990>>Dt770.

YUP the T90 is visually very nice 

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #6,273 of 12,546
I just got my dt880 pro 250 ohms and my fiio e10! They are fanatics. Keep in mind I do not know any of the audiophile terms, the words I use are only mine haha. The 880's have quite a bit of detail to them and you can really hear everything in each song and composure. I was surprised how very little of a difference the fiio e10 makes. The dt880's are 100% fine without the fiio. The only thing is, without the fiio, music sounds not as... I don't know how to put it. Without the fiio the like phones sound not a full, but only a little. The fiio bring out the changes and subtleties  in the change of volume of a song. A piece like Gustav Holst's Mars, Bringer of War where the volume level of the playing changes from, harsh to light, is a bit better with the fiio. But honestly, everyone here throws such a fit about amps that I thought the 880's would be unlistenable without the amp. I think people on head-fi have tendency to make audio gear there hobby and not listening to music there hobby. They even sound fantastic on by droid phone without the amp. I'm probably going to return the amp within there 30 day return date. I might give making a O2 a go just for fun since I think I should be able to do it for under 50$.

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #6,274 of 12,546
  I just got my dt880 pro 250 ohms and my fiio e10! They are fanatics. Keep in mind I do not know any of the audiophile terms, the words I use are only mine haha. The 880's have quite a bit of detail to them and you can really hear everything in each song and composure. I was surprised how very little of a difference the fiio e10 makes. The dt880's are 100% fine without the fiio. The only thing is, without the fiio, music sounds not as... I don't know how to put it. Without the fiio the like phones sound not a full, but only a little. The fiio bring out the changes and subtleties  in the change of volume of a song. A piece like Gustav Holst's Mars, Bringer of War where the volume level of the playing changes from, harsh to light, is a bit better with the fiio. But honestly, everyone here throws such a fit about amps that I thought the 880's would be unlistenable without the amp. I think people on head-fi have tendency to make audio gear there hobby and not listening to music there hobby. They even sound fantastic on by droid phone without the amp. I'm probably going to return the amp within there 30 day return date. I might give making a O2 a go just for fun since I think I should be able to do it for under 50$.

Well I think the E10 is a Dac Right? Yea it is, a DAC helps bring in more details and sound stage to a headphone, an amp ensures the retention of the added details, so if you can get the E10 to work with your Droid's USB Line out I'd keep it, but if you like it just fine right out the droid that's fine to :D

just happy you enjoy, and the reason we are STICKLERS about a good amp and dac is we want 100% of what we paid for, and we want to enjoy the music at it's very best, with every little detail right were it should b. 

Non the less, I like your attitiude :D keep that up and you should be a happy camper for a long time 

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #6,276 of 12,546
O2 will definitely improve the sound quality throughout your Dt880. It is very well designed with almost no noise floor. Even I have not heard schiit Vali, but someone complained about its ringing and noise floor. I would rate the o2 above the Vali. One thing I have to mention is Dt880 is offering very natural, coherent, and clean sounding, but it seems cold, lack of juices and wetness on the sound signature to me. Too accuracy may make you feel a bit of unemotional and soulless. That is a reason why I'm looking for a Dt t90 and Darkvoice 336se or Crack. My head-fi journey will be ended if I own both :smirk:. Btw, Mshenay, if you get dt t90, please do a comparison between dt880/600 and t90.

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #6,277 of 12,546
Initially I thought the DT880 was a bit staid and characterless in the looks department, but I eventually grew to appreciate its understated elegance. I agree with the post earlier, that the T90 might edge the DT880 out just a bit aesthetically, but I actually prefer the DT880's design to the T1.

Of course this is all when the headphones arent actually being worn. All the higher end Beyers look like insectoid growths when worn, IMO.

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #6,278 of 12,546
I don't think you can find an O2 for 50 even if you build it yourself. Parts alone will cost you 60-70s. But, I do recommend it, I think it pairs great with the 880s.

I priced Everything out, I can get all the components and knobs for 30$ w/o shipping, I can get the ac-ac power adapter for 6$ w/o shipping, and I can get the PCB for 6$. With shipping it came up to about 49$ and some change. Keep in mind that's without the 10$ batteries, the housing which costs about 20$ for the recommended housing, and the 16$ for the front and back panels. Well, I'm going to use it as a desktop amp so I don't need the batteries, and I'm crafty enough that I should be able make the housing out of some free stuff that I have at my house. I also already have soldering iron. Although, me being me,  I'll probably end up screwing everything up and wasting all the components or melting the pcb or something haha

haha thanks Mshenay. Hopefully I stay happy. I was wondering though, If  got an O2 which is a better amp but it does not have the dac that the e10 has would the new set up really be that big of an improvement? I'll probably never use my headphones from my phones. I'll probably stick with my pc.

Jan 29, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #6,279 of 12,546
O2 will definitely improve the sound quality throughout your Dt880. It is very well designed with almost no noise floor. Even I have not heard schiit Vali, but someone complained about its ringing and noise floor. I would rate the o2 above the Vali. One thing I have to mention is Dt880 is offering very natural, coherent, and clean sounding, but it seems cold, lack of juices and wetness on the sound signature to me. Too accuracy may make you feel a bit of unemotional and soulless. That is a reason why I'm looking for a Dt t90 and Darkvoice 336se or Crack. My head-fi journey will be ended if I own both :smirk:. Btw, Mshenay, if you get dt t90, please do a comparison between dt880/600 and t90.

The Vali is silent with my 600 ohm DT 880, and the slight bit of tube warmth really matches the DT 880

I how ever prefer my dt 880 out of solid state, so others may agree or disagree with me

tbh... I was listening to my w1000x out of the SE NFB yesterday :O Teh vali felt to crampt >.> 

Jan 29, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #6,280 of 12,546

When i just got my DT880 600 ohms i can't wait to get home and listen to it so while i was in the parking lot i plug it in to my iPhone and turned the volume all the way up and it's loud enough for me IMO this phone is easy to drive.

Jan 29, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #6,281 of 12,546
  When i just got my DT880 600 ohms i can't wait to get home and listen to it so while i was in the parking lot i plug it in to my iPhone and turned the volume all the way up and it's loud enough for me IMO this phone is easy to drive.

Loud enough doesn't mean driven properly.  An iPhone can't provide the voltage required to move the transducers fully.  Most noticable for me was a change in the bass.

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #6,283 of 12,546
  You are right but for me it is acceptable.

beerchug.gif

I hear you & agree - they still sound better than a lot of other headphones out there to me too - even when not fully powered.

Jan 29, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #6,284 of 12,546
Guyz I have some Bad news... the HE 4... is getting closer to being my new at home open back >.>

found a fellow with a used one, mint with a Balanced Cable... I fear I may sell my DT 880 in teh next few weeks or so *sniff* *sniff* 

and on the bright side I even just bought a Pb2... which can drive up to 1.8w into 32 ohms meaning I even have the amp to drive the HE 4 on the go  *sniff* *sniff* 

Jan 29, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #6,285 of 12,546
  Guyz I have some Bad news... the HE 4... is getting closer to being my new at home open back >.>

found a fellow with a used one, mint with a Balanced Cable... I fear I may sell my DT 880 in teh next few weeks or so *sniff* *sniff* 

and on the bright side I even just bought a Pb2... which can drive up to 1.8w into 32 ohms meaning I even have the amp to drive the HE 4 on the go  *sniff* *sniff* 

You can always buy a used pair when you start to miss the DT880s................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back