The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
May 6, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #4,021 of 4,303
Beyerdynamic DT48-200, I'm home!

I really don't get how this headphone manages to be warm and still have that detailed treble and have a quite open, (but not necessarily diffuse) sound. Loving it for the moment.

May 6, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #4,022 of 4,303
Excellent choice namaiki! Remember that perfect earpad seal is needed to maintain bass quantity and extension. Also, if treble starts to bother you,carefully apply thin layer of blutack on the grille. It reduces listening fatique and makes whole sound more natural and clear. Even in stock form, i vastly prefer DT 48 to DT 880. 880 is less detailed and more fatiguing. DT 48 is the very opposite, truly superior. You are in the beginning of very exciting hifi journey. I and others too would like to hear more of your impressions.

Jun 29, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #4,025 of 4,303
Those rubber pads are very uncomfortable.. how do I take them off they seem to be glued or something.

Will these pads fit on this model: http://www.thomann.de/nl/beyerdynamic_dt48_ohrpolster.htm

Jun 30, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #4,026 of 4,303
Ok I managed to take those rubber pads off and placed another earpad on a cardboard with a round cut out in the middle to fit around the driver (I have not glued it so it's a loose fit, but when put on my head the clamping force makes it very tight), here's how it looks:

So here's my first sound impressions off the DT48a:

The DT48 are NOT headphones. They're speakers, ''earspeakers''. This impression do I get; the sound coming from infront instead of ''in your head'' and also because they sound so thick..

The sound of these ''earspeakers'' is FLAT, very analytical, cold sounding signature. They remind me A LOT of the legendary Yamaha NS10m studio monitors. If there's a flaw in a recording these will tell you..

For normal listeners to appreciate these headphones you have to ''re-programm'' your brains into a different soundsignature, a soundignature most people probably not familiar with unless you're an audio-engineer working in studios with flat monitor speakers.

Jul 1, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #4,027 of 4,303
For what it's worth, here's some quick plots of my 1960s Beyer DT48-S (5 ohm):

These have a very jarring resonance in the upper midrange, peaking at about 4kHz. Second order distortion behaves oddly, while other distortion orders remain low. This signifies low distortion but high amounts of air pressure -- as caused by the vacuum seal of the earpads. Shockingly low distortion in the bass for a dynamic headphone!! These are very tight and speedy sounding throughout. The FR on these is decidedly unpleasant and can be fatiguing, seeming to get worse at high volumes, but there's something special about how these sound...

Yep, that'll do it. Past 1kHz, everything but the 4kHz peak and a couple low-level blips disappear within 2 ms. This is with the noise floor set to -60dB. Insane! Most people cannot even hear this low. This is a very very clean headphone that is capable of maintaining great, flat extension to both bass and treble without being messy or distorted, a trait even many high-end headphones lack. This is a headphone that's nearly 55 years old, what the heck happened guys? Clearly some of this headphone's design merits shouldn't have been ignored.

The DT48 is definitely not a headphone to be taken lightly, but it's not one I would recommend for every day listening. It's shockingly uncomfortable and can rip music apart quite easily -- not in a pleasant way. Furthermore, most people will not be able to tolerate that 4kHz resonance without significant training and adjustment to the headphone's FR. I cannot imagine any other headphone sounding "quite right" after a while of listening to these.

Aug 11, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #4,028 of 4,303

At this point in time, the replacement "earphone" (or ear speaker) for both the DT 48S and the DT 48E is the same part.

0 Unread Posts Subscribed Search This Thread Preferences Edit Thread
Post a ReplyStart a New Thread

post #1 of 1
1 day, 2 hours ago

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/3/37/100x100px-LS-3744bdf3_avatar-120-10.jpg[/img]
  1. Carlos42
  2. Cross posted from Headphones full sized
  3. badge_junior.v1474213761.png

I guess the title says it all. In talking with the Beyer parts people, I learned that the same part replaces the earphone on both the
Beyer DT48S and the DT48E. I should add that this is true for the 200 ohm version.I  didn't think to ask about the replacements for
other impedances. Whether this has always been case or if it is a fairly recent thing I don't know. I already have a 25 ohm set of
DT-48S's and I will soon get a new pair 200 ohm DT48E's so it will be interesting to compare the two even though they are different
impedances. The DT48S's are probably around forty-five years old and the DT48E'S are fairly new.

I do have a question about a pair of DT48's that I believe are the "A' version; they are marked DT48 , 5 ohms with no letter marking.
These are about  50 or 60 years old, I got them from Gotham audio when I was a teenager (at this writing I am 73 years old). Anyhow,
one is red, the other is black and there are no right or left markings on either one. They both are marked "SNr. 120". Is this a serial number,
perhaps? I do remember that I got them soon after Gotham audio started importing them.If anyone can provide any information on
these, I would really appreciate it!

ReplyQuoteMulti

Post a Reply

0 Unread Posts Subscribed Search This Thread Preferences Edit Thread

Return Home
  Back to Forum:

1. Equipment Forums
  2. Headphones (full-size)
  3. At this point in time, the replacement

Aug 12, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #4,029 of 4,303

I guess the title says it all. In talking with the Beyer parts people, I learned that the same part replaces the earphone on both the
Beyer DT48S and the DT48E. I should add that this is true for the 200 ohm version.I  didn't think to ask about the replacements for
other impedances. Whether this has always been case or if it is a fairly recent thing I don't know. I already have a 25 ohm set of
DT-48S's and I will soon get a new pair 200 ohm DT48E's so it will be interesting to compare the two even though they are different
impedances. The DT48S's are probably around forty-five years old and the DT48E'S are fairly new.

I do have a question about a pair of DT48's that I believe are the "A' version; they are marked DT48 , 5 ohms with no letter marking.
These are about  50 or 60 years old, I got them from Gotham audio when I was a teenager (at this writing I am 73 years old). Anyhow,
one is red, the other is black and there are no right or left markings on either one. They both are marked "SNr. 120". Is this a serial number,
perhaps? I do remember that I got them soon after Gotham audio started importing them.If anyone can provide any information on
these, I would really appreciate it!

I have a SNr. 40 but mine has distinctive "Pink" and "Black" cups. I was quite surprised a few years ago that these Numbered DT48s from the late 50s to early 60s were imported by Gotham NYC but then I gathered that the "Numbered" DT48s were exclusive to North America. A couple of DT48 collectors I know from Germany have never seen a Numbered DT48 in Germany or in entire Europe for that matter. 

I have seen a Couple of these "Numbered" DT48s surface over the years, the earliest known example I have seen is a SNr.002 and a SNr.021 that recently sold on this very site, I have also seen a SNr.062 and then there is your SNr.120, there was also a SNr.12X I saw on this thread and then there is my SNr.040. 
The SNr.002 was full black and I think it currently is in Russia, I could be wrong. 
I still have no idea how many units Gotham got from Eugen Beyer Elektrotechnische Fabrik but I am positive that they all were imported to North America with a couple of NAGRA (DT48S).

Couple of Pictures for you - 

1) My SNr.040 

2) SNr. 062

In the Gotham Literature you can see - 

DT48 - $79.50
TR-48 - $18.50

September 1, 1960.

Aug 12, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #4,030 of 4,303
Thank you so much for your reply, Mr.TA. I think that perhaps you know more than anyone else about Beyer DT48's. I was an audio engineer for forty years in Hollywood (records and TV) before I retired in 2007. Of course this does not mean that my 73 year old memory is flawless! I seem to remember that DT48's
were sold by the folks that were the Nagra dealers in Hollywood early on , Ryder sound. I don't remember if they were DT48S's or not. I do get the impression
from you and the other experts that the DT48S's were specifically made for use with the Nagra. Certainly my DT48S's sound  a lot different than the DT48's
I describe in my above post.They have a lot more bass than my other DT48's,which are presumably DT48A's judging by what folks have said about them on the forum. I also see that some people like the sound of the DT48A's better then any other model. And some folks like the sound of the DT48S's. I am sure that these folks
are giving honest evaluations, so I wonder what the changes have been in the various models of DT48's over the years! It would seem to me that unless they
were grossly mishandled, the sound of the many models of DT48's would not change over the years due to their all metal construction, but in this I am
of course no expert.

So I would be very interested, Mr. TA in what you think of the above. Also, where did you get the vintage Gotham audio ad? I would be interested in tracking it
down so I could read a full sized version.

A bit of of audio history just entered my mind regarding the serial  numbers on DT48's. Gotham audio was owned by a man named Steve Temmer,
who was something of an iconoclast,to say the least. For instance,he guarded his right to be the sole importer of Neumann microphones with a zeal that
I have never seen the likes of. A story illustrating this follows. Around 1969, If I remember correctly, I was working for a small recording studio in
West Hollywood run after his passing by the daughter of the man who had founded it, Henry Russell. Mr Russell had purchased some Neumann
microphones in Germany, bypassing Gotham audio entirely.I don't know if when he bought these mikes, Gotham was the sole importer or not. Anyhow at
the time this was entirely legal.My memory is rather hazy as to the exact details of what happened, but I think Mr. Russell tried to get parts or service on
these microphones from Gotham.This was before I worked for the studio so what I am relating came from the long time employees and Mr. Russell's
letters to and from Mr. Temmer in the studio files.I think perhaps he sent these mikes to Gotham in New York for service. Mr. Temmer wrote him a scathing
letter about having purchased these mikes in Germany thus bypassing Gotham audio entirely. I don't think that he held them for ransom like he was later known
to do in some cases, but the letter called out Mr. Russell in no uncertain terms.Mr.Russell, known to be no shrinking violet himself wrote back accusing
Mr. Temmer of behaving like a Nazi among other things which of course he was not.I remember that he got the mikes back, but I doubt that he got any service
or parts in the deal.Mr Temmer could tell by the serial numbers that the mikes were not bought through Gotham and was suitably enraged.He guarded Gotham's
right to import Neumann and I presume other  product lines in a very confrontational manner to say the least.

So my point in relating this incident is that perhaps Mr. Temmer required serial numbers on the DT48's he imported so that he could make sure they
were purchased through Gotham. I imagine that you could find similar stories about Mr. Temmer elsewhere as he was notorious about defending his right
to import Neumann mikes and the other brands he handled into the US.

Aug 13, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #4,031 of 4,303
  Thank you so much for your reply, Mr.TA. I think that perhaps you know more than anyone else about Beyer DT48's. I was an audio engineer for forty years in Hollywood (records and TV) before I retired in 2007. Of course this does not mean that my 73 year old memory is flawless! I seem to remember that DT48's
were sold by the folks that were the Nagra dealers in Hollywood early on , Ryder sound. I don't remember if they were DT48S's or not. I do get the impression
from you and the other experts that the DT48S's were specifically made for use with the Nagra. Certainly my DT48S's sound  a lot different than the DT48's
I describe in my above post.They have a lot more bass than my other DT48's,which are presumably DT48A's judging by what folks have said about them on the forum. I also see that some people like the sound of the DT48A's better then any other model. And some folks like the sound of the DT48S's. I am sure that these folks
are giving honest evaluations, so I wonder what the changes have been in the various models of DT48's over the years! It would seem to me that unless they
were grossly mishandled, the sound of the many models of DT48's would not change over the years due to their all metal construction, but in this I am
of course no expert.

So I would be very interested, Mr. TA in what you think of the above. Also, where did you get the vintage Gotham audio ad? I would be interested in tracking it
down so I could read a full sized version.

A bit of of audio history just entered my mind regarding the serial  numbers on DT48's. Gotham audio was owned by a man named Steve Temmer,
who was something of an iconoclast,to say the least. For instance,he guarded his right to be the sole importer of Neumann microphones with a zeal that
I have never seen the likes of. A story illustrating this follows. Around 1969, If I remember correctly, I was working for a small recording studio in
West Hollywood run after his passing by the daughter of the man who had founded it, Henry Russell. Mr Russell had purchased some Neumann
microphones in Germany, bypassing Gotham audio entirely.I don't know if when he bought these mikes, Gotham was the sole importer or not. Anyhow at
the time this was entirely legal.My memory is rather hazy as to the exact details of what happened, but I think Mr. Russell tried to get parts or service on
these microphones from Gotham.This was before I worked for the studio so what I am relating came from the long time employees and Mr. Russell's
letters to and from Mr. Temmer in the studio files.I think perhaps he sent these mikes to Gotham in New York for service. Mr. Temmer wrote him a scathing
letter about having purchased these mikes in Germany thus bypassing Gotham audio entirely. I don't think that he held them for ransom like he was later known
to do in some cases, but the letter called out Mr. Russell in no uncertain terms.Mr.Russell, known to be no shrinking violet himself wrote back accusing
Mr. Temmer of behaving like a Nazi among other things which of course he was not.I remember that he got the mikes back, but I doubt that he got any service
or parts in the deal.Mr Temmer could tell by the serial numbers that the mikes were not bought through Gotham and was suitably enraged.He guarded Gotham's
right to import Neumann and I presume other  product lines in a very confrontational manner to say the least.

So my point in relating this incident is that perhaps Mr. Temmer required serial numbers on the DT48's he imported so that he could make sure they
were purchased through Gotham. I imagine that you could find similar stories about Mr. Temmer elsewhere as he was notorious about defending his right
to import Neumann mikes and the other brands he handled into the US.

Sir, we really appreciate you sharing all these stories with us, no amount of Internet digging will reach the significance of real life experiences. 
The picture I shared above came from a Classified Ad I had seen a couple years ago, I had saved the picture on my iPad, unfortunately that's all I have. I do remember people posting similar literature on this thread before. 

Temmer definitely sounds like a wacky stereotypical Business man but I highly doubt Beyer would have catered to his demands, you could be right though. The equivalent European DT48s were the same configuration, just without colour coded sides and no serial numbers, I am 100% positive about Beyer never selling numbered DT48s in Europe so maybe, just maybe they might have done it for Gotham.
It does seem plausible considering Germans really wanted business in America, if Max Hoffman could convince Mercedes Benz to make street-legal 300 SLRs (W196S) for the American market, I don't see why Beyer wouldn't agree to put a Serial Number on their Headphones.
Of course, it's all just speculation at this point, even people at the Factory have no knowledge or information of the timeline specifics.  

Here's an example of the Pre-Production DT48 sold in the 60s, this was the Post-Berlin (Original DT48) model they manufactured in Heilbronn.

Removed on request of Head-Fi'er "GermanGuy" due to Controversial reasons. 

Aug 14, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #4,032 of 4,303
Mr. TA,

Thanks so much for your valuable input,I do believe that you are one of, if not the, foremost experts on the DT 48.  In searching my rather disorganized
files I have come upon some spec sheets and some reviews of DT 48's. I would like to try to scan these and perhaps post them on this thread.
I am unsure of how to do this technically, but I would like to try. The material I have is as follows:

An April, 1967 review from Audio Magazine
  An undated review from High Fidelity Magazine
  An undated spec sheet on the "DT 48 KS" from the Beyer Company with an imprint saying that they are distributed by the Revox Corporation
     of Syosset, N.Y.
  An undated  full sized  Four page folded  brochure (81/2 x 11)  from Gotham audio
  An undated smaller sized six page folded brochure that gives the same information as the one above except for higher prices
      (I would think that because of the higher prices this one would be later than the full sized one above)

And on the internet is a 1973 Nagra "Standard Sync" price list that has prices for three variations of DT 48"s

If you have any idea how I could get these on the forum,please let me know!

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #4,033 of 4,303
  If you have any idea how I could get these on the forum,please let me know!

The Forum has some rules where you can't post pictures until you make XX number of Posts, it's kinda stupid. 
You can either upload them on services like ImageShack but sometimes those links can't be opened after a couple of years, or you can also E-Mail it to me and I can post it on your behalf. 

Aug 15, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #4,034 of 4,303
  The Forum has some rules where you can't post pictures until you make XX number of Posts, it's kinda stupid. 
You can either upload them on services like ImageShack but sometimes those links can't be opened after a couple of years, or you can also E-Mail it to me and I can post it on your behalf. 

Thanks for the info, Mr. TA. I will try to scan these and email them to you, it will probably take me a while to do this. The picture that was removed, for good reason I would
think, did seem to me when I first looked at as a picture of a man who seemed  very much like a notorious Nazi war criminal. Evidently it was a picture of this guy
who shall be nameless. Enough said.

I must say that the sound of my DT48A's is really pretty bad, someone has compared their sound to that of a pocket transistor radio and that statement is right on
for my set of DT48A's.I have read on the forum posts from some people who think they like the sound of the DT48A's better than any other  model and I would
certainly never argue with someone about what they hear. Is there perhaps some reason my DT48A's sound so bad? My DT48S's (which are from the sixties ,I believe)
and my relatively new DT48E's sound so much better.Indeed,in casual listening my DT48S's and my DT48E's sound pretty much the same. What is your opinion?
I have some reason to believe that my DT48A's diaphragms may have been exposed to high humidity. Would this be enough to affect the sound negatively?
Anyhow it is interesting   to speculate about the sounds of the different versions of the DT48's. I guess that is part of what makes us so interested in them.
I would be interested in the opinions of other forum members as to their experiences of the different sounds of the different DT48 versions and the reasons
behind said differences.I will also search the forum for that information.

Aug 16, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #4,035 of 4,303
I must say that the sound of my DT48A's is really pretty bad, someone has compared their sound to that of a pocket transistor radio and that statement is right on
for my set of DT48A's.I have read on the forum posts from some people who think they like the sound of the DT48A's better than any other  model and I would
certainly never argue with someone about what they hear. Is there perhaps some reason my DT48A's sound so bad? My DT48S's (which are from the sixties ,I believe)
and my relatively new DT48E's sound so much better.Indeed,in casual listening my DT48S's and my DT48E's sound pretty much the same. What is your opinion?
I have some reason to believe that my DT48A's diaphragms may have been exposed to high humidity. Would this be enough to affect the sound negatively?

Ah, you might be quoting from Dale Thorn's review, he was once our beloved DT48 advocate here.

I usually refrain from talking about the Sound of the DT48. It was built for a purpose and it has served it's purpose. 

The DT48 dates back to the early 1900s when Edward C. Wente of Bell was assigned to invent an Electrodynamic Device. Most of the Piston assembly was deigned by Bell until they reached an impasse while creating the Magnetic Circuitry, the project was then carried on by Eugen Beyer after Wente filed his patent in 1928. The entire Magnetic Circuitry was re-worked by Eugen Beyer till 1937 when he created his "Berlin" prototype. The Design was was never altered and remained the same upto 2011 when the DT48 was officially discontinued. 

The only difference between the DT48 models is their appearance and tolerances in the thickness of the Aluminium Diaphragm which would change the Flexural behavior of the System. The tolerances were caused due to supplier changes over the years.

DT48 may not be up to current standards but it's design is an Engineering marvel and it's significance can't be replicated. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back