The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Apr 2, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #3,991 of 4,303
Hey all, I just bought an interesting pair of the DT48's off of an ebay listing. Unfortunately the listing closed and I can't see the pictures anymore, but I wonder if any of you guys can help me identify it when it comes in! I'm pretty excited about them, I got the SA5000 and I really love it, so I'm interested to see how the detail compares on these. :)

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #3,992 of 4,303
  Hey all, I just bought an interesting pair of the DT48's off of an ebay listing. Unfortunately the listing closed and I can't see the pictures anymore, but I wonder if any of you guys can help me identify it when it comes in! I'm pretty excited about them, I got the SA5000 and I really love it, so I'm interested to see how the detail compares on these. :)

The DT48 absolutely slaughters the SA5k in detail retrieval 

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #3,993 of 4,303
I really hope so. I think they are an old DT 48 a or maybe they don't have any letter. Both cups are black and they just say

"BEYER
DT 48

5 ohm
W. Germany"

I'll definitely report back and do an A/B when they arrive

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #3,994 of 4,303
I really hope so. I think they are an old DT 48 a or maybe they don't have any letter. Both cups are black and they just say

"BEYER
DT 48

5 ohm
W. Germany"

I'll definitely report back and do an A/B when they arrive

Ah so you have it, I wanted to get your DT48 from the Ebay.de listing but the guy didn't ship to my country.
Anyway, what you have is the early '60s DT48, it wasn't marketed as A or E or S, just DT48.

It will have thick white elastomer strain reliefs unlike the SNr. variants which had casted one's with heat shrink on top if it.
The cups are identical to the early numbered variants like below SNr.25. They had glossy black machined cups just like yours if you have the Ebay.de one just with SNr. markings.
Remember, the headbands on this early DT48s were riveted so you can't add the original headband from the E models. Also this headband was designed for the EDT48R (Rubber) pads so avoid using EDT48S pads like I did because the pads will touch the headband and limit your adjustment. Because of this you'll have to push in your pads to retain the seal. The Pleather they use can exert significant pressure because of suction. That could stress the membranes.

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #3,995 of 4,303
Ah man, sorry to have got that one away from you :p Thanks for the info, I've done a lot of searching but haven't come up with anything about the original DT 48's.

The specific model that has really caught my eye are the old school DT 48 A. I'm talking the one with left cup is red, and white cup is black, and it says the same thing that the ones I ordered do. The newer DT48 A's look good too, but I want the old one just to hear that old audiometry sound

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #3,996 of 4,303
Ah man, sorry to have got that one away from you :p Thanks for the info, I've done a lot of searching but haven't come up with anything about the original DT 48's.

The specific model that has really caught my eye are the old school DT 48 A. I'm talking the one with left cup is red, and white cup is black, and it says the same thing that the ones I ordered do. The newer DT48 A's look good too, but I want the old one just to hear that old audiometry sound

I'll be in Heilbronn visiting Beyer HQ in 2 days.
If you have any specific questions or if you need parts, let me know..

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #3,997 of 4,303
Thanks for the offer! That's awesome that youre visiting the HQ. You'll definitely have to take some pics and get them up here 
beyersmile.png

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #3,998 of 4,303

Alright, just came back and have some news that will make DT48 Berlin fans unhappy.
I did touch a Berlin but...there's a huge story behind it.

After posts and posts of speculation of where the Eugen Beyer masterpiece is, I come with answers.
KBI, if you are reading..get a bowl with some popcorn and a tissue cause there's only one way we'll ever get to see the real Berlin and it's going to make us cry, at least me.

The DT48 Berlin (1937) SNr. 1 or The World's First Dynamic has a story like the Kilogram. The 1937 Berlin is with Shirley Beyer - daughter of Eugen Beyer. It's locked in a safe apparently in England. Shirley Beyer rarely takes it out, some years ago - around 4-5 years ago when she came to Germany for some work, she brought it along with her and the guy below - middle one, his name is Klaus, he was my tour guide and has worked for Beyer for more than 10 years. He got to touch the Berlin for only seconds. The DT48 prototypes also reside in England. 
The Prototypes have never been shown because they apparently have some Engineering marvels that Beyer intends to use in the future. I wish I can tell more but I'm under pseudo NDA that I will call "Trust".
I also visited 3 facilities in Heilbronn, again Beyer manufacturing is top class. I did not film a whole lot cause I just wanted to enjoy and not focus on filming.

Some questions - 

1) Why was the DT48 discontinued?

Suppliers gone and new one's charging a whole lot of lesser materials.

2) Are there any DT48s at the factory?

Yes, 2. the replica Berlin made in the 1940s and a DT48E 8Ohm SE.

3) Is the DT48 coming back?

Nope

My visit turned out to be very fruitful, of course I can't share everything but I'm very lucky to go there.
Also I hope I finally got some truth in, KBI, I'm sorry man..to touch the real Berlin we both have to be good friends of Shirley Beyer, so if you are let me know ASAP 
tongue.gif

Here's something Eugen Beyer made by his hands that I got to touch.
First Dynamic Microphone.

Cool guys at Beyer, gifted me the COP with my name on it. 

Jun 9, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #4,002 of 4,303
Just got my Beyerdynamic DT48E 200 ohm in this afternoon.  The treble and mids are even more intimate than my Sennheiser HD250 II. Even the bass seems to be more textured. I think the Sennheiser HD250 II is smoother than the DT48E. Never thought I'd be able to describe the HD250 as smooth. Very happy with the DT48E so far. If it means anything, its serial is 96xxx.

Just driving them with a Leckerton UHA760. I hope that is enough power as the Leckerton has my favourite sound signature in a DAC/amp so far.

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #4,003 of 4,303
  Just driving them with a Leckerton UHA760. I hope that is enough power as the Leckerton has my favourite sound signature in a DAC/amp so far.

200 ohm? Plenty of power. If it was a 5 ohm on the other hand, you'd need a ludicrously powerful amp sent to extremely low gain. You need as much clean current as possible for those monsters. Speaker amps fed into resistor boxes is probably a good option.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back