The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Mar 7, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #3,528 of 4,303

Quote:

Thanks maniacal71! Their price is a bit high....half of what I paid for the phones themselves, lol... but if makes a significant improvement it might be worth it. On another issue....amping these DOES seem to make a big difference. I played them out of the Sansa clip last night and noticed a coloration in the mids that I didn't notice before. This AM I plugged them into the mkV amp, and no coloration. Curious if anyone noticed that issue when they're not amped properly. I don't think it was my imagination....it was pretty obvious. Mine are the 25 ohm 'E' version

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #3,529 of 4,303

Quote:
Thanks maniacal71! Their price is a bit high....half of what I paid for the phones themselves, lol... but if makes a significant improvement it might be worth it. On another issue....amping these DOES seem to make a big difference. I played them out of the Sansa clip last night and noticed a coloration in the mids that I didn't notice before. This AM I plugged them into the mkV amp, and no coloration. Curious if anyone noticed that issue when they're not amped properly. I don't think it was my imagination....it was pretty obvious. Mine are the 25 ohm 'E' version

I remembered that you had a friend to make an impedance adapter, just get him to do one with normal 120Ω resistors in parallel. Yes they do have colorations when amped differently, I believe that the DT48 is spot on with certain amps, the mids become honky if thats what you mean, that is also why many people didn't like them at first listen.

Mar 12, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #3,530 of 4,303
For me, the 120 ohm adapter with the 25 ohm E version did not respond as much as it did with the S version.  

Still have yet to test the drivers and cable on my 48S, I need to find the right tool to open them up.

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #3,531 of 4,303
Hopefully he'll have time to do it. He's retired....getting up in years though, so I'll have to see what he says. The mids are superb with the mkV, that's for sure. If an impedance adapter improves the 25ohm dt48 they would be freaking unbelievable with vocals! If I had to sell all my headphones but one, the dt48 would be the ones I'd keep. the mids make good vocalists sound like they're sitting right next to you....never heard anything like it in any other phone....not even close.
Quote:
I remembered that you had a friend to make an impedance adapter, just get him to do one with normal 120Ω resistors in parallel. Yes they do have colorations when amped differently, I believe that the DT48 is spot on with certain amps, the mids become honky if thats what you mean, that is also why many people didn't like them at first listen.

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #3,532 of 4,303
Listening to Incredible Music and recordings 1, 24 bit remasters. Only the DT48 A/S can show how good these DDD recordings are. Using my alternate Test Headphones the DT770, wasn't able to bring all the goodness out and sounded casual, but with the DT48, instrument separation was top notch and sounded so real, violins sang and cried out on "Django", Track 3. Voices reached out with heartfelt sentiments. Percussion instruments fade outs are perfect, so detailed, I can even hear the grain of the hi hats. On track 6, "If it's magic", from 1:17, you can even hear someone coughing continuously, while the Singer tries to raise her voice to cover the irritating cough

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #3,533 of 4,303
Just opened mine now. Both drivers had "12061" hand engraved on them, the left one had a "2" over that, the right one a "3". Once again I have the feeling I haven't found out anything new about them (and their real age), but to be honest it doesn't really bother me, because they sound fabulous regardless of that.

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #3,534 of 4,303

Example how the DT48 is a chameleon, try this out.

Mar 21, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #3,535 of 4,303
Now on my next remaster CD, Incredible Music and Recordings 3, yeah I sort of skipped volume 2 for now, First track "Morning" by Sade, this track features Sade's lush vocals, violin, cello and a deep bass drum beat, warm sound of the piano, well i've been replaying this track about a few times now, everything i hear is so well defined and has a natural resonance or warmth. The piano has a voice of its own and dynamic with life, tambourine shakes are never the same. Now who says that it doesn't have bass? With emphasized Bass HP it will overwhelm everything else 
grin.gif

Track 5, "Calle Ventana" Violin, cello and piano, makes up most of the ensemble, the absolute transients heard makes my foot tap in time with the happy music.

Track 6 and 8, "Sahara Walk" & "Aurora" with Flamenco style guitar, oh just listen to how the strings twang and strut, unmatched clarity and details here even when the tempo is raised. Vocals in "Aurora" reveals the grain of the singer's voice, which in turns portrays well his emotions.

Track 9, titled "Improvisation" by the Steiner Percussion, featuring the congo drums is so, well dynamic.

Track 10, "Jalouse" is Wow, what a composition. Violins, big double bass , with an accordion, tango music with all the right moves , makes this a very pleasurable pick me up, details are again amazing, the plucking of the bass even though in the far background, the strikes are still prominent.

Track 12, "Got Du Hast" a Soprano and Baritone vocals piece for opera, the two voices are simply gorgeous, intertwining and clearly defined, the speed and power in both vocalists' voices can be heard with the curve of attack leading to the peaks and lows. Very detailed indeed, not surprised again that the DT770 didn't pick it up so well as the DT48 did.

Reference headphones used - my Red/Blue Audiometric DT48A
popcorn.gif

right]

[size=0.85em]  [/size]

Mar 22, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #3,536 of 4,303
Try Psytrance/Goa, that disco track is already lacking in the intro. Some producers of Psytrance/Goa-music use quite a lot of dynamic range for their albums with sometimes a very balanced mix. The better Trance DJs make their work sound like electronic symphonies...

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #3,537 of 4,303

As they say, "necessity is the mother of invention". I'm finally getting some decent mid and even lower bass from the right side of my dt48E. It took three layers of this pink foam material to get a good seal. for some reason the left ear cup seals just fine with the stock beyer pads. Anyhow now I can hear Norah and Willie Nelson like they should be heard. 
happy_face1.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU9hWiYjVTY

Next will probably be the 120ohm impedance adapter. I'm trying to find out the output impedance of my amp...the LD mkV...but having no luck. The manufacturer doesn't seem willing to reveal it. Maybe it's too high compared to a lot of ss amps. Anyway the dt48's are sounding great with some decent bass on both sides.

Mar 24, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #3,538 of 4,303
Nice job Lejaz, It would have been easier with the HD Solo pads though, the idea of this is to connect the sound waves directly to the ear canal, this way the FR chart will be true, as they did the coupler pick up.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #3,539 of 4,303
I use that foam to pad some of my headbands. I'm actually hearing the low bass on the right side for the first time ever....the mod made a HUGE improvement. At one point I actually thought I had blown the driver because the bass was so totally lacking. It was the post about the Beats solo pads that finally got me on the right track. A big thanks to the head-fi member who posted that! 
happy_face1.gif

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #3,540 of 4,303

Quote:
I use that foam to pad some of my headbands. I'm actually hearing the low bass on the right side for the first time ever....the mod made a HUGE improvement. At one point I actually thought I had blown the driver because the bass was so totally lacking. It was the post about the Beats solo pads that finally got me on the right track. A big thanks to the head-fi member who posted that! 
happy_face1.gif

Haha, that was me who posted that, found out what to do with that useless HD Solo, lol. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back