The Beyerdynamic DT250 Thread
Jul 2, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #826 of 1,049

That's three professional studio/broadcasting cans with some serious staying power. Should be a fun comparison.

And it was.
All three are excellent, just with varying sound signatures.
7506 being the brightest with most vocal range emphasis, Beyerdynamic DT250-250 with the most laid-back sound signature, and most smooth/soft texture, and the V6 in the middle, very flat thru the entire sub-3k range, shaped similar to the ideal curve, but with bright treble.

7506's and V6's unmodded are actually slightly too bright and sharp, but with the DT250 velour pads on either Sony model, it softens and smooths things out, but doesnt make them quite as laid back as the DT250-250.  Very good headphone, but not quite bright enough to win me over. 

Turns out the soundstage increases gained by modding an MDR-V6 or 7506 with beyer DT250 pads, gets you pretty much to the soundstage of the 250-250 (which isnt great, compared to, say, an AKG open back).  But the Beyerdynamic DT250-250 couldn't match the detail of the Sony models.  So, I'm still rolling with V6's for general closed back needs, and 7506 for closed-back vocal tracking or vocal reference.  The Beyer DT250-250 are just too laid back compared to both Sony's.  DT250-250 is much more like a Sennheiser HD600, in sound signature (neutral, good mids, and laid back, easy to listen, than other Beyerdynamics I've liked (DT880, DT770, T90).

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #827 of 1,049
Hello!

Getting a Fiio x5 2nd gen player, I need help from you experienced guys (I'm an audiophile/hi-fi virgin)!

Would the 300 ohm Fiio x5 drive 250 ohm DT250s properly? If not, what would the sound lack?
Which ones would you choose if you were to choose? 80 ohm or 250 ohm ones, to pair with the player?
What would be the real difference between the headphones, paired with Fiio x5?
Finally, do you think the player and the headphones are a good match?
(P.S. I'm used to listening to music at mid volume)

Many thanks for any help!

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #828 of 1,049
  Hello!

Getting a Fiio x5 2nd gen player, I need help from you experienced guys (I'm an audiophile/hi-fi virgin)!

Would the 300 ohm Fiio x5 drive 250 ohm DT250s properly? If not, what would the sound lack?
Which ones would you choose if you were to choose? 80 ohm or 250 ohm ones, to pair with the player?
What would be the real difference between the headphones, paired with Fiio x5?
Finally, do you think the player and the headphones are a good match?
(P.S. I'm used to listening to music at mid volume)

Many thanks for any help!

The 80 Ohm version will have no problem and X5 will have more than enough voltage swing to drive it. The 250 ohm version is a harder load for X5ii especially when playing very high dynamic range records. (e.g. Daft Punk's get lucky).

As for the match. It's up to your personal preference. I have an 80-ohm version and X5 has plenty of power to drive it.

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #829 of 1,049
  Hey! Could you please do a short write up on HD600 vs DT250 250ohm?

Sorry I didn't see this until now.

Basically, the HD600 have more bass rolloff than the  DT250 because they are open. The HD600 also has a different treble signature than the DT250, which has a lower treble level overall compared to the rest of the frequency spectrum. They really don't sound alike at all, at least not to me. Maybe people say they sound alike because they are comparing them to completely different headphones, but all of my headphones are fairly neutral so perhaps i notice the differences more, I don't know. The HD600 almost has too much treble IMO, as do many "neutral" headphones I listen to. I don't know if this is because I am hypersensitive to treble or what, but anyone who calls the HD600 rolled off must have a totally different sense of hearing from me.

Basically, the DT250 treble is detailed and prominent while not being obnoxious. It definitely has a peak somewhere in the upper mid treble, but it is at a nice frequency band where it doesn't add sibilance or hurt my ears or anything like some other headphones I have used (ATH-M50...). The HD600 definitely has better soundstage and instruments sound more realistic, but it doesn't do as well with heavier music like metal when compared to the DT250, which I find does a lot better because of it's less forward treble.

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #830 of 1,049
To give people an idea of the calibre of the DT250's, I use them as my closed headphones alongside the LCD-X's and HD800's.

Sep 4, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #831 of 1,049
I'm also going to add that I just received my Schiit Gungnir Multi Bit DAC today (this thing cost me about $2200 AUD after an extra $200 of customs charges).

Signal chain is Wyrd > Gungnir Multi Bit > Valhalla 2 > HD800/HD650/DT250.

The DT250 actually scales so incredibly well. I'm loving the way it sounds from this setup. AMAZING value for money.

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #832 of 1,049
  I'm also going to add that I just received my Schiit Gungnir Multi Bit DAC today (this thing cost me about $2200 AUD after an extra $200 of customs charges).

Signal chain is Wyrd > Gungnir Multi Bit > Valhalla 2 > HD800/HD650/DT250.

The DT250 actually scales so incredibly well. I'm loving the way it sounds from this setup. AMAZING value for money.

Been thinking whether to go with DT150 or DT250, quick check if there the treble are too harsh in this demo?
http://www.boganyi-piano.com/cd/sound-beyond-time/

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #834 of 1,049
I used to own a Dt250 set for many years. At a time where I wasn't working on any recording projects I gave mine to a friend who was looking for headphones suitable for tracking and critical listening on music recording projects (a task for which I found them ideally suited). I don't regret giving them to my friend but I have missed them ever since.

I just ordered a new set of 250ohm DT250's last week and they're due to arrive tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to having them again, and not just for music projects. There are times when I rather enjoy listening with an analytical ear (being able to focus on a specific performance or a group of instruments - horns, strings, rhythm section, etc. - in great detail). The DT250's and a JDS Labs Objective 2 amp will cover this application wonderfully.

A truly flat response, full frequency playback solution isn't cheap but the DT250's get close for a very reasonable price. I'll post my thoughts and observations once I've had some time with them.

Jan 28, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #835 of 1,049
Hi,

Anyone tried different set of pads with DT250? I just can't get used to them, after 30-60 min of listening it is not so great to wear... 

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #836 of 1,049
Just joined this club :D got a brand new pair of B&W P7s which are going up for sale when they arrive. After hearing the DT250 im done. I fell for high end headphones at one point but the gain just isnt worth it.

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #837 of 1,049
Just joined this club
biggrin.gif
got a brand new pair of B&W P7s which are going up for sale when they arrive. After hearing the DT250 im done. I fell for high end headphones at one point but the gain just isnt worth it.

Yes, I think the DT250 puts many wuite expensive offerings to shame regarding tonality and details. It does sound a bit closed in, but more than makes up for that with a wonderfully musical presentation. Enjoy!

Feb 21, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #838 of 1,049
After owning these for a few weeks and letting my ears adjust and settle in. Wow.. they may sound a tad closed in but they have really opened up in other ways. I would say they sound tight overall. Blues and similar types of music sound damn good!

Feb 21, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #839 of 1,049
And it was.
All three are excellent, just with varying sound signatures.
7506 being the brightest with most vocal range emphasis, Beyerdynamic DT250-250 with the most laid-back sound signature, and most smooth/soft texture, and the V6 in the middle, very flat thru the entire sub-3k range, shaped similar to the ideal curve, but with bright treble.

7506's and V6's unmodded are actually slightly too bright and sharp, but with the DT250 velour pads on either Sony model, it softens and smooths things out, but doesnt make them quite as laid back as the DT250-250.  Very good headphone, but not quite bright enough to win me over. 

Turns out the soundstage increases gained by modding an MDR-V6 or 7506 with beyer DT250 pads, gets you pretty much to the soundstage of the 250-250 (which isnt great, compared to, say, an AKG open back).  But the Beyerdynamic DT250-250 couldn't match the detail of the Sony models.  So, I'm still rolling with V6's for general closed back needs, and 7506 for closed-back vocal tracking or vocal reference.  The Beyer DT250-250 are just too laid back compared to both Sony's.  DT250-250 is much more like a Sennheiser HD600, in sound signature (neutral, good mids, and laid back, easy to listen, than other Beyerdynamics I've liked (DT880, DT770, T90).
just checking in saying that the DT250 velour pads are the greatest thing to ever happen to Sony MDR-V6's. It makes them the perfect studio headphone by a country mile!

Just joined this club :D got a brand new pair of B&W P7s which are going up for sale when they arrive. After hearing the DT250 im done. I fell for high end headphones at one point but the gain just isnt worth it.
congrats on breaking thru the matrix !

Higher end price tags and heavy planar drivers just don't beat the studio quality sound/build/durability of phones like the DT250 or other Classic Sony/AKG/Beyerdynamic/Sennheiser phones.

Long live the wisdom of headfi

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #840 of 1,049
just checking in saying that the DT250 velour pads are the greatest thing to ever happen to Sony MDR-V6's. It makes them the perfect studio headphone by a country mile!
congrats on breaking thru the matrix !

Higher end price tags and heavy planar drivers just don't beat the studio quality sound/build/durability of phones like the DT250 or other Classic Sony/AKG/Beyerdynamic/Sennheiser phones.

Long live the wisdom of headfi

Now that my ears have fully adjusted to the DT250's, going back to my X2's just sounds weird. I have given them a good hour listen but still dont sound as natural as the DT250.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back