The best sounding over-ear portable headphones under 500$?
Aug 10, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 16
If you find some you like without a case, you can always get a case separately as long as they fold up.

I'd recommend looking into the Beyerdynamic T51P.

Here are some others you might consider: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-ear-pad-sealed

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 16
If you find some you like without a case, you can always get a case separately as long as they fold up.

I'd recommend looking into the Beyerdynamic T51P.

Here are some others you might consider: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-ear-pad-sealed

after some reading i have few options in mind , B&O H6 , B&W P7 , V-Moda M-100 and the new Beats Studio .

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #6 of 16
  after some reading i have few options in mind , B&O H6 , B&W P7 , V-Moda M-100 and the new Beats Studio .

Never had the P7's but had B&O H6, M100's, and Beats Studio.

Beats Studio lasted about 2 weeks then I couldn't charge them anymore. It's not exactly an isolated incident, but it's not very common either. I preferred the sound of the original Monster Beats Studio because it was warmer but almost no one else does because the new Studio has much more high end. Also, you probably don't want to deal with the hassle of charging it. It is probably the loudest headphone on the planet. 

M-100 is very blah to me, nothing exciting. Lots of bass but the soundstage is almost non existent, to me at least. Very clean sound and very clear bass, and loads of bass.

B&O H6 is the best sounding of the 3 by far-but you'll need a headphone amp imo. Well balanced sound, but missing in the mids and bass slightly when unamped.

H6 and Beats Studio will be at the store too, if you go.

Aug 11, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #7 of 16

Never had the P7's but had B&O H6, M100's, and Beats Studio.

Beats Studio lasted about 2 weeks then I couldn't charge them anymore. It's not exactly an isolated incident, but it's not very common either. I preferred the sound of the original Monster Beats Studio because it was warmer but almost no one else does because the new Studio has much more high end. Also, you probably don't want to deal with the hassle of charging it. It is probably the loudest headphone on the planet. 

M-100 is very blah to me, nothing exciting. Lots of bass but the soundstage is almost non existent, to me at least. Very clean sound and very clear bass, and loads of bass.

B&O H6 is the best sounding of the 3 by far-but you'll need a headphone amp imo. Well balanced sound, but missing in the mids and bass slightly when unamped.

H6 and Beats Studio will be at the store too, if you go.

Thank you very much , your post has helped me so much :) 

The new Beats Studio are and the M-100 are off the list then , now its down to B&O H6 and B&W P7 .
and what amp would you recommend/u have used with the B&O H6?

Aug 11, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #9 of 16
  The new Beats Studio are and the M-100 are off the list then , now its down to B&O H6 and B&W P7 .
and what amp would you recommend/u have used with the B&O H6?

If portable, I strongly recommend the Cayin C5, it's bliss with the H6.

Fiio E12 is also great and very close to the C5

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 16
My rig is iPhone 6 Plus -> Apple CCK -> FiiO E07K Andes -> FiiO Oyaide Copper cable -> H6.

The E07k amps up the bass nicely which the H6 is quite lacking. Never looked back ever since. I think I've found the best sound signature ever. At least that's what my ears think. :wink:

Added: And the FiiO Oyaide copper cable adds some warmth to the sound sig. Never been happier.

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #14 of 16

No closed headphone is going to have a "good" soundtage, IMO. But your emphasis on the M-100's bass emphasis is spot on. For me, I love the M-100. When I first tried them, I was struck by three things. First: I was wowed by how much bass they had. Second: they're actually very clean sounding. Third: yeah, tonnes of bass.

The M-100 is great (IMO), but I can't stress enough that they're basshead cans. If that's what someone wants, they'll love the M-100, but if you're seriously looking for neutral cans, look elsewhere.

If I might add one to that list: check out the PM-3. I got a loaner unit around the same time as my M-100 arrived. I can't tell you which was more accurate, but the PM-3 is definitely more neutral, it sounds great across the entire spectrum, it sounds great from an iPhone or a Magni 2, and it was designed with portability in mind. You probably aren't going to find a demo pair outside the loaner program, though.

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #15 of 16
For the type of sound you mentioned, Sennheiser Momentum 2.0($350) should do a great job and will save you another $150 that you can spare for a nice DAP such as a Fiio X3 ii (like cel4145 mentioned earlier) or an iBasso DX50 (These cost somewhere between $200 to $220). And you wont need a stand alone amp. One less device to carry around and charge.

Momentum 2:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=11112806&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi

Fiio X3 ii:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1137456-REG/fiio_x3_ii_x3_portable_hi_res_music.html

iBasso DX50:
http://www.amazon.com/iBasso-DX50-Mastering-Authorized-Distributor/dp/B00J6RVQJM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439821448&sr=8-1&keywords=dx50

And also one other headphone that was released recently was the Denon AH-MM400:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1113916-REG/denon_ahmm400em_ah_mm400_reference_quality_over_ear.html

I have not had the chance to listen the Denons. But based on the reviews and it's past reputation with the headphones, it should be a great set of cans.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back