The best solution for gaming
May 6, 2010 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 183

Thompson

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I can almost hear you guys thinking "No not another new guy who wants gaming headphones and just asks us what to buy".

First of all, let me introduce myself, so I won't be "another new guy". My name is Tom and I'm 21 years of age, I live in the south of Holland (of The Netherlands as some like to call it). I have a simple home cinema with an Optoma HDready beamer and 86" inch screen, surround provided by my Logitech Z5500 (Will be updated in a couple of months). In my free time I like to watch movies in my cinema and play videogames, mainly CoD:MW2 (Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for those of you who don't know the abbrevation.) on my gaming PC. At the moment I use Speedlink Medusa 5.1 NX headphones, and I think they are pretty crap xD

Ok enough about me, on to my "problem";

Since I game for over 2 hours a day most weeks, and think I am a pretty decent player I promised myself after celebrating my 21st birthday I would buy myself some decent cans for listening to music, movies and especially gaming. During my search on the internet, mainly this forum to be honest, I've found a couple of questions which I need solved before I can make my decision:

Real 5.1 vs. CMSS3D vs. Dolby Headphone vs. Other:
In gaming as many of you will probably know, sound is an important way of knowing where your enemy is. So clear sound with a good soundstage is important. But maybe even more is the way you can position an enemy (Is he coming from you backleft, left or frontleft?). There are a few ways headphones can provide you this kind of sound;

Real 5.1: I just called it this way since I don't know the right way to call it :lol:... What I mean by this is those "gaming headsets" which provide cans with multiple speakers in 1 can. 

CMSS3D: The virtual surround sound provided by Sound Cards like the Creative X-Fi cards.

Dolby Headphone; The virtual surround sound developed by "Dolby"

Other: Companies like Yamaha have developed their own kind of DH like Silent Cinema.

As for as I've read on these forums; Real 5.1 just sucks because of the lack of sound quality. And DH (for know) appeals most the me. You think something else is better for my situation? Please explain to me why! The Astro A40 mixamp would be a good choice?

Open or Closed cans
Can be a bit shorter about this one. Open cans seem to be better when you can game/listnen in a quiet environment, closed ones are better for when it's loud. Is it also true closed cans give a better bass response? Since I game at my home for 95% of the time and it's always pretty quiet in here I tend to go for open cans.

Amplifier
Well, I just don't know if I would need one? Guess it also depends on wether I want CMSS3D (for which I will need a new soundcound) or Dolby Headphone etc.

Headset vs Headphones
Ok I think you guys will all agree with me on this on. Headphones beat Headsets when it comes to clarity, soundstage and positioning? So actually the only good think left for a headset is that it has an attached microphone? I've been looking into and reading reviews of the following headsets and headphones of which I would like more information and personal comments from you guys:

Headsets
- Sennheiser PC350/360: Nice headsets, Sennheiser has always been good to me. But I'm afraid then just won't match against headphones.
- Astro A40: Especially interesting in combination with their A40 MixAmp
- Beyerdynamix MMX300: Looks to be the best performing headset soundwise, but it has a pricetag to go along with it.

Headphones
- Audio Technica ATH-A700: Lot of people on the internet say it's about on of the best price/quality headphones with great soundstage, clear sound and superb audio positioning. Only thing is they might lack some bass for movies.
- Beyerdynamic DT series: They all look like extremely tough yet comfortable headsets. Also recommended all over the internet. But I just can't figure out which one would suit me best.
- Ultrasone HIFI780: Looks less comfortable, though really nice. Claimed to be one of the best for audio positioning due to the added S-logic.

I will probably come up with even more of easy, strange, difficult or plainly dumb question. I hope you guys will take the time to help me, and probably loads of other gamers who want to take it a step higher, to the ultimate (yet affordable) gaming sound solution.

Oh and might be important xD My budget for the total (Soundcard of needed, Amp, Headphones, Shipment etc. etc.) is about 500 USD (Or about 400 euro's).

May 6, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 183
I'm with kool bubba ice.
DT880 Ed.2005 (with amp than get the 600Ohm version), headphone amp and a clip on mic -> perfect !

May 6, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 183
Interesting post! I'm also looking for a good solution for gaming. I think ill go like this.
I want Beyerdynamic DT's with Astro Mixamp and i want to apply the microphone mod made by FraGTaLiTy: http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271582
Now Im not sure what DT's to use. In fact i'm looking for headphones where directional positioning is easy, so i can clearly hear someone behind me and hear the difference between someone who is far, close, left right, above, under me...etc. So it depens which of the DT's is the best for that application. If you've found better than Beyerdynamic DT's, please tell it (only if you've tryed them both hehe)

May 6, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 183
Ok, but what would be an affordable headphone amp? Preferably one that supports DH. Because otherwise I would be looking at;

DT880 290 euros
Amp 100?
Soundcard for CMSS3D 100?

And I would be way over my 400 euro budget

May 6, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 183
What's peoples opinions on hfi-x80's for gaming? I find my pro 900's positioning to be great, without using any surround sound DSP. When I use DSP with some of my other headphones the positioning is more obvious in the sense you know forward is forward, and backward is backward, but it's not as precise and coherent in positioning.

May 6, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 183
Do you really need an extra soundcard ? I own a X-FI and after ordering my headphone amp/dac I'm using the X-FI only to connect my amp/dac via toslink to my PC.
But I never used the X-FI feature CMSS3D and I played a lot :) (most of the time first person shooter) and so I cannot say anything about this feature but I never missed anything while I'm using stereo without any effects (except EAX).

Good amps/dacs for round about 100 - 150€ are:
aune mini usb dac (was my first amp and drove the Beyer very well)
AUDINST HUD-MX1 DAC/amp

Both are tested here on HeadFi -> http://www.head-fi.org/forum/list/7

May 6, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #11 of 183
I've used a pair of AD700s first and then a set of Beyer DT880 250Ohms, I play a lot of online PC gaming, mainly FPS based where obviously positioning etc is high up the list of important things, I remember the AD700s being very nice, I regret selling them in all honestly but not because of the gaming performance. 

I can honestly say the DT880 improve on everything the AD700s did, very good all round phones, shame one of drivers recently broke in a tragic incident 
triportsad.gif

Mic wise I just using a Logitech USB desktop, no complaints from any of my fellow clan members when on vent/mumble etc etc. 

Oh and the AD700s were powered by a Soundcard and the DT880 by a Little Dot I+ 

May 6, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #12 of 183
I don't currently own an XFI soundcard. I am using my mainboard's Realtek onboard sound.

Mad Lust Envy; I have read somewhere on these forums or on the internet that the Astro A40 MixAmp would not be powerfull enough to drive the DT880. That appears to be untrue? Which DT880 do you have?

And what exactly is the difference between an 80ohm or 600ohm, soundwise? I know it means more resistance but in what kind of way can you hear that?

May 6, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #14 of 183
It is not easy to describe but the 600Ohm version sounds clearer and simply "better". No veils in mids which I could hear during listening to the 250Ohm version. I ordered both and so I was able to compare both in a 1on1 competition and for me the 600'er is clear better.

May 6, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #15 of 183
Ok so let's say higher Ohm is better? Would it be worth for me (I am not an audiophile) to invest like 100 euro's more and get a different headphone amp that supports DH (which one?) that could power the DT880 600Ohm?

Or would it be possible to drive the 250Ohm with the A40 mixamp?

Or... Would the difference for me, mostly in games, sometimes movies or music (not extremely high bitrate) not be very noticable so I could easily go for the 32Ohm, of which I am now pretty certain it can be driven by the A40 MixAmp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back