the best of the best
May 10, 2013 at 8:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

GMnetherlands

New Head-Fier
hello everyone,

i lost my sennheiser IE 4 earphones. so now i'm looking for new ones.
But i want something else now, i'm looking for ''the best of the best''.
i love a heavy bass and just hearing nothing else then my own music in class, in traffic, at home, while walking the dog etc.

the price doesn't really matter to me as long as it is the best quality i can get for that price, of course that doesn't mean that i'll pay 400 for them but if the price gets kind of high but it's worth it i'm willing to pay a lot, but then it has to be REALLY the BEST quality. otherwise i'm trying to stay under 170.

i hope you guys can help me find my perfect ears.

the music i listen to is mostly:

Rap/Hiphop with a heavy bass

dance music.

hardstyle

R&B

dubstep

reggae

so i listen to a lot different styles :p

May 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 6
I don't think "the best of the best" and $170 really work well together; however, if you just want "the best bang for the buck" and find a good value, I'm sure there's something there for you. There's always the law of diminishing returns with everything, and with audio, most of the things in your price range can really get you to 90-95%, and it's just a matter of how many more hundreds of dollars you want to spend to get that extra 5-10%. To add to that, audio stuff is really subjective, so "the best of the best" for one person isn't the same for another. If you enjoy the Sennheiser sound, and really like bass, then yeah, I would lean towards the IE8/IE80.

Sidenote: If you're okay with supra aural headphones (headphones that have earpads that sit on your ears, not around them), then I would suggest looking into the Sennheiser HD25-1 ii, or the Sennheiser Amperior. They're pretty much the same phones, but the Amperiors have aluminum cups. I used to use the HD25 to listen to dubstep, pop, rap, and other bassier types of music and I liked them quite a bit. I don't own them anymore, because I let my parents borrow them for a while, but they really like them and it doesn't look like I'm getting them back... They have a bit of a V-shaped sound signature, which makes them fun to listen to for those types of music (in my opinion.) I bought my pair of HD25 on Amazon for $175, and I know the Amperiors are going for $192 shipped right now from vminnovations.com. You can even get them for $168 shipped if you don't mind refurbished, but I'd rather pay the extra $24 for new ones, but that's just me. Either way, they're around the price range you want to spend, and I feel they're a great bang for the buck. 

May 10, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
I don't own them anymore, because I let my parents borrow them for a while, but they really like them and it doesn't look like I'm getting them back... 

That's about as cool as it gets.

May 10, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Quote:
I don't own them anymore, because I let my parents borrow them for a while, but they really like them and it doesn't look like I'm getting them back... 

That's about as cool as it gets.

lol. It wasn't cool initially, when I first realized I wasn't going to get them back; however, it's nice to know they can appreciate and somewhat understand my headphone madness now. My mom said either her or my dad use them every day, so I'm glad they're being put to good use. :D

May 10, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #6 of 6
It's nice when someone who is not obsessed by this hobby can discern the difference between a run-of-the-mill set of phones and a quality set - it was like when I gave my wife a set of UE700's to listen to her Queen discs - she had been using (I know, I know) Apple buds - and the look on her face when the sound came up was worth the price of admission. She had seen them live a number of times before Freddie passed, so when she got to listen to Live At Wembley on the UE's - she was in heaven. There is a reason we do this (I hope) it is all about the music. And to hear it in all it's glory can leave you at a loss for words. (But we do our level best to try to fill that space - lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back