The best meal of my life (so far...)
Mar 8, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Korean style short ribs are called Kalbi, which when done right is absolutely delicious. Bulgogi is Korean stir fry beef or Korean barbecue which is also good though to me not as tasty as Kalbi. $10 for Bulgogi alone with on other items is indeed expensive.

Kalbi and bulgogi are just 2 different cuts of meet. Kalbi, as stated is the meat off the rib and bugogi... well I'm not sure which part it is, but its not as good. In any case, both can be cooked on the barbecue although bulgogi is often just cooked in a pan. If you order less than 2 portions of Kalbi, they often also do not set up the barbecue for you. You cook the meat, put it in the lettuce with some garlic, pepper sauted scallions and a paste made of gochuzan and denjang... then shove the whole thing in your mouth... the Korean girls love a man who knows how to eat their Kalbi.

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
Crazy thing is my friend ate at a restaraunt in Texas the very next week. He ate alone and the bill was $5,000!!!

That was a charity dinner, right? I can't fathom what kind of food would be worth $5,000 (scrambled bald eagle eggs?)

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja
That was a charity dinner, right? I can't fathom what kind of food would be worth $5,000 (scrambled bald eagle eggs?)

No. $2K of the bill was spent on a bottle of wine. Another $2,200 on the food. I think there was very rare caviar involved, but I'm not sure. The rest was tip. He has actually done it on several occasions.

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
Kalbi and bulgogi are just 2 different cuts of meet. Kalbi, as stated is the meat off the rib and bugogi... well I'm not sure which part it is, but its not as good.

"Kalbi" means rib. Its the spareribs. I like the cut of meat the best when it is steamed and slow cooked forever with all kinds of crap, its called "kalbijjim".

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #35 of 47
DOUBLE POST.

Mar 8, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1rocketpilot
So we drove down to MF Sushi Bar in Midtown Atlanta. It was the best food I have ever eaten! All of the fish was prepared to utter perfection.

Any of you have experiences similar to this?

a1 --

I eat there roughly once a week. It is high quality sushi, however...
I believe that it is slightly too expensive for the quality (albeit high).
I have had better sushi, but only at more coastal places and in Japan.

For a land-locked area, MF Sushibar is about as good as you can get.
Although Soto and Taka are close behind, MF's Otoro makes it a winner.
If you are a Toro fan, only Masa NYC is a better place to end your search.

I, on the other hand, am a diehard uni fan -- MF's uni did not make the cut.
I will confess, though -- their fresh wasabi, chirashi, and sake impressed.

I only order omakase, though -- so I might be missing out on a signature dish.

BANGPOD

EDIT 1: MF Sushibar does not fly in its fish from Japan -- it is coastal fresh.
EDIT 2: I cannot eat at MF for under $150 per person (minus sake/tax/tip).
EDIT 3: In my opinion, Per Se is better than the old school Les-Pinasse.

EDIT 4: The Otoro cost $18 per order (3 full pieces or 5 half ones).
I opted for the 5 halves, as they melt in the mouth better.

Mar 8, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #37 of 47
I do not doubt that there are better places (and it is my quest to go find them, wherever they may be), but this is the first high end sushi restaurant I have been to. As far as the price goes, I was trying to restrain myself as much as possible. Given the liberty, I could blow over $100 without any effort. I am going to have to try ordering omakase there sometime, sounds like a real treat. I may be visiting NYC this summer, so I will have to try and stop by Masa and give it a shot.

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
There is nothing like a good cheeseburger.

That sentence should be framed! It's just so accurate Ken. All this "picture on a plate" gear costing an arm and a leg is all well and good but, at the end of the day, you just can't beat a good old cheeseburger!

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
at the end of the day, you just can't beat a good old cheeseburger!

bacon cheeseburger! served between two Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #41 of 47
In no particular order except for #1

1. Erna's Elderberry House, Oakhurst, Ca (on Hwy 41).
2. C&L Steakhouse, San Francisco
3. Fleur De Lys, San Francisco
4. Il Mullino, New York City
5. 12 Washington St., Los Angeles

Mar 9, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #43 of 47
I had a Kobe Beef Burger today. DAMN that was one TASTY COW!
icon10.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
KFC baby.

lol touché
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back