The best meal of my life (so far...)
Mar 6, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #16 of 47
If you want to check out the menu with prices, go to www.mfsushibar.com and peruse. A few of the cuts there are market price, so you will have to go there and see. That being said, dinner there can go from $30 per person to Orpheus, if you so wish.

(ok, not really Orpheus level, but you get the idea...)

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #17 of 47
Best meal I've ever had probably involved some kickass Indian food....naan, tandoori chicken, biryani...mmmm.

I wish I could appreciate sushi more. I went to a sushi restaurant on valentine's day...we ordered this "sushi for two" platter, with a large variety of different kinds of very attractive sushi. Unforunately, I just didn't like the taste of raw fish...felt like I had wasted my money.
frown.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Best meal I've ever had probably involved some kickass Indian food....naan, tandoori chicken, biryani...mmmm.

Yay!! I'm Indian, so I've been subject to food similar to this for most of my life. It is absolutely fabulous!

Mar 7, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah
Not to knock sushi or anything - I love it - but the more I've eaten of it the less I'm impressed by it. Basically if they fly their fish in fresh from the fisheries, that's all there is to it. They can slice off a chunk and just hand it to you.

Granted some of the rolls are more intricate, but ultimately it's like saying a restaurant served the best fruit you've ever had. It's not the restaurant - it's the fruit that tasted so good!

There is a lot of training that goes into being a proper sushi chef. Cut right, nigiri sushi can fall apart in your mouth when suished with your tongue like butter. Cut wrong and the muscle fibres of the fish will stick together and make for a chewy experience.

A lot also has to do with the rice balling as well. It should be held together enough that you can lift it to your mouth, but loose so that it contains many air pockets so that the texture of the fish isn't overshadowed.

Texture is very important, as sashimi has little taste in itself, but there are large differences between the textures of different fish.

Mar 7, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #21 of 47
My 3 best dining experiences...

Japanese.... Nobu in NYC. I haven't been there for 5 years, but it definitely deserved all the hype it was getting in the late 90s. The food was amazing and the crowd was great. Gweneth Paltrow was sitting next to us and DeNiro, Speliberg and Robin Williams were hanging at the bar. I went with a buddy of mine. He was visiting from Texas.... total bill for 2 was $2,300!!! Crazy thing is my friend ate at a restaraunt in Texas the very next week. He ate alone and the bill was $5,000!!!

French/Asian cuisine...LesPinasse at the St. Regis in NYC. They went classic French in the late 90s but prior to that, their food was French/Asian. Extremely stuffy place to eat, but simply the best food I've ever had. I went back in 2000 after it went classic French and it wasn't as good. My favorite dish was their braised rib. Not a place you want to go with a guy (unless he's your date). Approximate cost for dinner for 2 (no wine)... $600.

Korean.... I'll never say no to Kalbi. Approximate cost for 2 (no soju)... $70.

Since leaving NYC, I have yet to have a memorable dining experience... although admittedly, I'm able to find great Korean food in Cali.

Mar 7, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #22 of 47
Sushi is nice, really nice but in the end, I just don't get this content feeling from a sushi dinner. A great sushi feels like an explosion in the mouth but the mouthfeel becomes stagnant after 10 pieces or so. However, a full course Japanese dinner with sushi as an appetizer or side dish combined with other great dishes, that's a really great dinner.

One of the best dinners I've had was with a friend's family in a fancy Japanese restaurant in New York where you had to make reservations in beforehand. The food was heavenly but paying so much for food is not sane. The bill had 4 digits before the comma, what the hell.

Another expensive and good dinner experience was in the Tantris in Munich. Not sure what the exact style is but we had absolutely amazing wine recommended by Germany's best sommelière and the restaurant apparently has three stars. Again, I would never ever pay so much for food myself but won't complain if I'm invited.

The most memorable and therefore probably best dinner I've had was in a somewhat shabby local restaurant somewhere in the heart of Guizhou in China. The food was a tad spicy and quite raw, but the quality of ingredients was top notch and never has a dinner managed to keep my appetite so high throughout the entire meal. I was really, really hungry though and it had a touch of nostalgia from my grandmother's cooking. Of course, that's a bonus that no fancy expensive restaurant can ever attain.

Mar 7, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #24 of 47
I'm saving my sushi-virginity until I can find a place that serves it off naked women.
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #25 of 47
Memories. A nice topic - it brings back many memories from my "past lives" - everything from stir fry in Green Bay, to Italian in Indiana, to (veggie) burgers in Florida. I've had a lot of good food...but quite a bit of bad food, as well. It seems hard for me to get "terrible" food, but I have indeed had some, but quite a number of disappointments. Worst Italian was local, only 20 minutes away.
mad.gif

Now you've made me hungry for Vietnamese (one of my current favs). I hate you!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #26 of 47
boiling maruchan and nisson ramen in the same pot is taste heaven

but i just had some really nice korean food the other day, short ribs and fried rice with seafood and a double yolk egg on top served in a stone pot

Mar 7, 2006 at 11:11 AM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
Now you've made me hungry for Vietnamese (one of my current favs). I hate you!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I could go for some pho right now...all the meats...rare beef, beef brisket, tripe, beef tendon, beef meatballs...liberal amounts of hoi sin and chili sauce...mmmm.
icon10.gif

Did you know locally there used to be a place called Pho Bich Nga...no joke. It was like that for a quite a few years until they changed it. Probably some angry PC's saw it and demanded it changed.

Mar 8, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #28 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack

French/Asian cuisine...LesPinasse at the St. Regis in NYC. They went classic French in the late 90s but prior to that, their food was French/Asian. Extremely stuffy place to eat, but simply the best food I've ever had. I went back in 2000 after it went classic French and it wasn't as good. My favorite dish was their braised rib. Not a place you want to go with a guy (unless he's your date). Approximate cost for dinner for 2 (no wine)... $600.

For a long time my favourite meal was one I had at Lespinasse (after they went all French, never had a chance to experience the French/Asian). Then last November a few friends and I went to Per Se, also here in NYC. The flavours and presentations were absolutely superb. Service was over the top for me, but some people like that. My friends went for the 'wine pairings' which involves a selection from their wine list designed to complement each course...a lot of wine over the 8-10 courses we had. I skipped the wine but it was still memorable.

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325
but i just had some really nice korean food the other day, short ribs and fried rice with seafood and a double yolk egg on top served in a stone pot

Ugh those things taste so bad! I think its called bulgogi or something, but its way overpriced! It cost like 10 bucks for that thing with no drinks here in Boston!

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #30 of 47
Korean style short ribs are called Kalbi, which when done right is absolutely delicious. Bulgogi is Korean stir fry beef or Korean barbecue which is also good though to me not as tasty as Kalbi. $10 for Bulgogi alone with on other items is indeed expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back