The best meal of my life (so far...)
Mar 6, 2006 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

a1rocketpilot

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 19, 2005
Posts
988
Likes
10
Two of my friends from home were in town on Saturday, one for his spring break and the other as an intern at Price Waterhouse Coopers. Seeing as all three of us were here, we decided that we were going to get some choice sushi tonight, as we are all big fans of it.

So we drove down to MF Sushi Bar in Midtown Atlanta. It was the best food I have ever eaten! All of the fish was prepared to utter perfection. Even the green tea was fantastic! The kicker of the night came when I took a mouthful of Otoro, the fatty portion of a tuna's belly. This cut is considered to be the king of sushi. Words cannot describe the flavors that wafted through my palate upon eating this. The flavors were delicate, yet rich at the same time. Never have I had a flavor fill my head before. Nothing I have eaten compares to that piece of sushi.

The other cuts (kanpachi, ika, and unagi (or very young yellowtail, squid, and smoked freshwater eel for the sushi illiterate) and a spicy tuna hand roll) alone could have beaten out any sushi I've eaten before, but this Otoro was something special. Suffice to say, this will be a meal I will remember for quite a while. Any of you have experiences similar to this?
 
Mar 6, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 47

JahJahBinks

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 22, 2002
Posts
3,306
Likes
10
I think I had that feeling before, but usually came from the fact that I had been starving for a long time.
biggrin.gif
 
Mar 6, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #3 of 47

socrates63

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Posts
3,434
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1rocketpilot
Any of you have experiences similar to this?


Sure, and you start wishing you had three stomachs like a cow
biggrin.gif
.

How much was the dinner check?
 
Mar 6, 2006 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 47

warubozu

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 25, 2003
Posts
5,764
Likes
35
Yup, when sushi is done right with the freshest catch of the day and the best grades of yellow or bluefin tuna it's downright awesome. I also like sushi prepared using uni (sea urchin), although most would consider the texture (feels like snot rolling in your mouth) and taste of uni to be disgusting.
 
Mar 6, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #9 of 47

a1rocketpilot

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 19, 2005
Posts
988
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by taoster
but also endangered! http://www.theage.com.au/news/World/...863227206.html


And this is why a decent size bluefin or yellowfin will sell for thousands. What is really good about this place is that like warubozu said, the fish is flown in from Japan fresh every day, so you are eating the last night's catch basically.

I've actually never tasted Uni before, not from cowardice, but never really looked into it. I guess thats the next thing on my list!
 
Mar 6, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #10 of 47

skudmunky

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Posts
3,555
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
There is nothing like a good cheeseburger.


QFT. Just had a nice one down at the Longhorn steakhouse. Chedder cheese, bacon, lettuce tomato onion, 1/2 pound burger.
smily_headphones1.gif
 
Mar 6, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #11 of 47

Kassem

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 22, 2004
Posts
560
Likes
10
There is a place here in town called 'The Gaucho'. Its a Brazilian steakhouse and WOW. It's kind of expensive (for me anyways) but it was soooo good. All different kinds of amazing meat. And it just keepsssss comin.
 
Mar 6, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #12 of 47

VicAjax

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 16, 2004
Posts
4,622
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1rocketpilot
So we drove down to MF Sushi Bar in Midtown Atlanta. It was the best food I have ever eaten!


i was visiting my folks in atlanta a few weeks ago, and we ate there. i agree, it's excellent... possibly the best sushi i've ever had in atlanta.

however, i've probably had at least 20 foodgasms in nyc that are easily more memorable.

edit: although i do admit, atlanta has gotten some great restaurants in the past 10-15 years.
 
Mar 6, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #13 of 47

warubozu

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 25, 2003
Posts
5,764
Likes
35
Quote:

Originally Posted by taoster
but also endangered! http://www.theage.com.au/news/World/...863227206.html


It's not yet an endangered species, however if commercial fishermens who catch bluefin an yellowfin tuna aren't careful and don't regulate themselves as to the size of the catch and how much of it they catch both species of tuna can become candidates on the endangered species list. In which there would be a ban on tuna fishing to protect them from extinction. Yellowfin tuna is more prevalent than bluefin. Both species are getting harder to catch at an acceptable size for auction on the block to restaurants and seafood retail outlets for sushi and sashimi. Commercial fishermens now have to stay out longer and go out farther at sea to catch the acceptable sized tuna for commercial consumption because it isn't as prevalent as it was once before. An acceptable size for yellowfin and bluefin tuna to go on the block for auction would be one weighing in over 225 lbs, anything smaller is either catch and release or use for private comsumption.
 
Mar 6, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #14 of 47

Illah

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 9, 2004
Posts
1,332
Likes
12
Not to knock sushi or anything - I love it - but the more I've eaten of it the less I'm impressed by it. Basically if they fly their fish in fresh from the fisheries, that's all there is to it. They can slice off a chunk and just hand it to you.

Granted some of the rolls are more intricate, but ultimately it's like saying a restaurant served the best fruit you've ever had. It's not the restaurant - it's the fruit that tasted so good!

Lately I've been gravitating toward more cullinary cuisine when it comes to fancy dinners. Some of these places are really working magic with the food! I don't do it too often though, it can get really expensive.

--Illah
 
Mar 6, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #15 of 47

Ph34rful

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 18, 2002
Posts
665
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1rocketpilot
Two of my friends from home were in town on Saturday, one for his spring break and the other as an intern at Price Waterhouse Coopers. Seeing as all three of us were here, we decided that we were going to get some choice sushi tonight, as we are all big fans of it.

So we drove down to MF Sushi Bar in Midtown Atlanta. It was the best food I have ever eaten! All of the fish was prepared to utter perfection. Even the green tea was fantastic! The kicker of the night came when I took a mouthful of Otoro, the fatty portion of a tuna's belly. This cut is considered to be the king of sushi. Words cannot describe the flavors that wafted through my palate upon eating this. The flavors were delicate, yet rich at the same time. Never have I had a flavor fill my head before. Nothing I have eaten compares to that piece of sushi.

The other cuts (kanpachi, ika, and unagi (or very young yellowtail, squid, and smoked freshwater eel for the sushi illiterate) and a spicy tuna hand roll) alone could have beaten out any sushi I've eaten before, but this Otoro was something special. Suffice to say, this will be a meal I will remember for quite a while. Any of you have experiences similar to this?



Around how much does it cost per person? I think I might check it out the next time I am in ATL.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top