The best looking DACs
Mar 15, 2013 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

StudioSound

100+ Head-Fier
I noticed that we have a number of "best looking" topics on the forums here - best looking headphones, best looking tube amplifier for example, and other image-heavy topics such as the "show us your vintage headphones" topic, but we don't seem to have anything for DACs despite their increasing popularity.

Recently I have been thinking about upgrading to a Benchmark DAC2, but I realized that the main thing holding me back is that I just don't like the look of it. I know, it's studio gear and is more about performance than looks, but I fully expect to keep whatever DAC I buy for a long time, so having hardware that looks nice in addition to performing well seems important. In 20 years time, no-one is going to look back fondly on something like the DAC2 the way they do with a lot of vintage gear these days. Even compared to some of the older DAC1 designs, it doesn't look as good.

So what do you think the best looking DACs are? What designs will stand the test of time?

Mar 16, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 28
Inner beauty. Audio Note 3.1x Balanced, Siemes cca's. Bendix 5852 KP

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:
I noticed that we have a number of "best looking" topics on the forums here - best looking headphones, best looking tube amplifier for example, and other image-heavy topics such as the "show us your vintage headphones" topic, but we don't seem to have anything for DACs despite their increasing popularity.

Recently I have been thinking about upgrading to a Benchmark DAC2, but I realized that the main thing holding me back is that I just don't like the look of it. I know, it's studio gear and is more about performance than looks, but I fully expect to keep whatever DAC I buy for a long time, so having hardware that looks nice in addition to performing well seems important. In 20 years time, no-one is going to look back fondly on something like the DAC2 the way they do with a lot of vintage gear these days. Even compared to some of the older DAC1 designs, it doesn't look as good.

So what do you think the best looking DACs are? What designs will stand the test of time?

I partially agree with you regarding the DAC2. The new faceplate is just ugly; there are way too many lights on the front. However, the DAC2 in black does look pretty nice.

I really liked the original DAC1, particularly the PRE.

The Grace Design m903.

The Antelope Zodiac looks really nice as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back