The Best IEM
May 23, 2009 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Bilavideo

Caution: Incomplete trades.
Lay aside price. Temper the temptation to reply, "Well, it depends." Just for one moment, throw caution to the wind and tell me what you consider to be the best IEM out there - and why.

I know there have been threads like this before. I've read them. But this year has been a wonderful year of new product roll-outs. I think it's time to trot out the IEM pinata again and swing at it like it's your girlfriend's last beau. What IEMs are going to provide the best, audiophile, sound for a variety of genres - from rock to jazz to classical to acoustic. If money were no object, what would you want stuck in your ears on that bus ride from Hell?

May 23, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 20
IEM pinata...lol.....

May 23, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 20
Westone ES3X?

May 23, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Batabatabatabatabata SWING!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still waiting for the candy.

My candy was metallic blue!
biggrin.gif

Then I got more candy - black (IE8 & Ety ER-4)...

But there's a whole list I have still to hear (the Westones ESxx & Umxx for two).

BLAT! indeed....

May 23, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #8 of 20
UM3X. Very balanced with smooth everything. Nice punchy bass, but not bloated. Great mids, a bit forward but not too much so, and very seductive highs - although not "sparkly" as some may prefer. Also supremely comfortable with fantastic isolation.

May 23, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #9 of 20
It's interesting; I was expecting to hear about thousand-dollar etymotics but in thread after thread, what I hear is Shure 530, Westone 3 and Westone UM3X.

May 23, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #10 of 20
$1000 Etymotics?

ER-4P/S is cheap as chips compared to some...and surely a whole sight better compared to some oft quoted IEMs too
wink.gif

May 23, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #11 of 20
in customs the top contenders that have been mentioned are the ue-11, ue-10, and es3x in universal there is a myriad of top gun competitors such as the ie8, um3x, se530, triple fi 10 pro, w3, among others it really comes to what you prefer

May 23, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #12 of 20
The best I have ever heard are the Westone X3's. Though I only listened for a 30minutes, I couldnt find a single thing to complain about!

(Possibly offtopic) what price do the ES3x's usually command?

May 23, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in customs the top contenders that have been mentioned are the ue-11, ue-10, and es3x in universal there is a myriad of top gun competitors such as the ie8, um3x, se530, triple fi 10 pro, w3, among others it really comes to what you prefer

I'm sorry. I missed what you were saying. My attention was turned to the woman in the picture with what must be the best set of cans I've seen all year.

Ah yes. I got the makes mixed up. It's not Etymotic that wants all the dollars in your wallet. It's Ultimate Ears, with those $1000 and $1,100 UE-10s and UE-11s.

Has anyone heard these customs? I get that it would be wonderful to have the driver custom-fitted to one's ear, and that certain benefits would follow. But are these custom drivers significantly better than their universal kin?

By the way, it's been an interesting day. I lost a bidding war over a UM3X but just sealed a deal for a W3. I wonder what other mischief I can get into before the [male rooster]* crows thrice.

* The filter caught my Biblical reference. Shame on me.

May 23, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey, I've seen those cans before! They're the Sennheiser 212s that Killz23 is selling for $35. I guess SHE'S getting HER money's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back