The best headphones I can get for exactly $100 or less..?
Jul 12, 2011 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AdrielAviles

New Head-Fier
I have exactly $100 dollars for a new pair of heaphones, and I was wondering... What are the best headphones I can get around thew price range of $100 or less? Thanks in advance for all of your responses. I'll probably be selecting the one most of you guys say I should get. :)

Jul 12, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 7
Jul 12, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 7
And for some dynamic transducer options in you price range:

AKG K240 studio

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700

Grado SR60i, SR80i

JVC HARX900

Sennheiser HD438 HD448, HD555

Shure SRH440

Jul 12, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 7
If there is a retail store you can try them out will be the best thing to do. Preference is unique and hard to gauge, get recommendation from head-fi them shortlist them for audition. If everyone's favorite doesn't sounds good to your ears it has no use. My recommendation for you to audit will be the Alessandro MS1 :)

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 7
It will be easier to help you if you tell us what you're using them for. Where, when, what kind of music etc. There are a lot of decent headphones out there for $100 and less but they each have unique strengths and weaknesses.

If I had to recommend a pair without any further information just based on what you've provided (price) then i'd say alessandro ms1, grado sr60i/sr-80i. But again, these phones don't do well in libraries, or loud situations. They leak sound both directions. With that being said, open designs are all but objectively superior to their closed cousins in terms of quality so long as we're talking the same price range.

If you're good with DIY and trust yourself to mess with $75 headphones then botbye is right. the t50rp is a crazy bargain. Practically feels like a crime to get them for $75. But DIY isn't for everyone. The alessandro/grados are also great for diy, as they scale very well with a number of easy (and many of them free) upgrades that you can do in your home with common household objects (i.e. a spoon, ballpoint pen, exacto knife, tweezers).

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 7
Amped ($25 E5 or a Receiver will do):

Koss Pro DJ 100 ($80) - One of my favorites that I'll probably be using for years.

AKG K240 Studio

No amp:

KRK KNS-6400 - $99

One of the best cheap headphones there is. Nothing really come close to the sound quality for the price. Maybe the SRH-440.

The AD700 is also better sounding than it should be for the $70 or so. It's a bit uncomfortable and huge and it has this weird tonality to it with some music.
It's treble can be an issue without an EQ. It's amazing for specific music and then for others not so much. If you do a lot of gaming, it's even better.
It's pretty dang clear and has a lot of detail for being so cheap! Comfort is a major issue for me with it though. If you have a small head, skip it!

I criticized this in the past for music, but it's not too bad at all. Gave me a small glimpse of what my old ATH-AD2000 sounded like.

I haven't heard it, but the HD-428 might be worth checking into. That's on my list. It's less than $50 online I believe.

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 7
Just got the Panasonic RP-HTX7's for $30 and IMHO, they're just a notch or two below the M50's. I'd say go for the M50's (if you can find them for $100) or the RP-HTX7's.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back