The best headphones i can buy! ( money is no issue)
Jul 26, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #32 of 154
Quote:
this not a thread to make fun of me ,plz

Dude relax, it was a little joke. I wasn't trying to make fun of your friend and certainly not you. Surely you also see the humor in the fact that your friend had no idea headphones could cost that much. :)

Sorry if I offended you. I just thought it was funny.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #33 of 154
I'm sorry, but this might come out as quite offensive. So your friend asks you to recommend him a VERY well performing headphone such as the LCD2r2 which sells for about 1K USD more or less... Seeing how he apparently has no "budget" and simply wants the best performing headphone for his, what seems to be like, first Hi-Fi purchase..? I just find this ridiculous because he hasn't gone up the ladder yet... I personally started off with a pair of Shure SCL3 IEMs as my intro to Head-Fi and this "audiophile" obsession. I worked my way up and seeing how I joined HF 2009, I'm at where I am now with a setup I am very satisfied with so far. I personally dislike the idea of the power of money versus the learning experience and time... It took me time to learn my equipment and I experienced a lot of things along the way. Seeing how your friend is already going to purchase a headphone I would have to save up a year for (yes, the student life is difficult) and buying a hi-end amp as my first setup is simply out of the question. If you were a good friend and also a good member to this community, I think you should try to explain to your friend that you have to simply work your way up if you want to obtain the best experience and enjoyment with your equipment to its fullest. Try convincing him to try out some very affordable, yet very good headphones to start off with. It can be the Senn HD598 or even the Shure 940. Back when I was starting, my dream was to try the HD600. And now seeing some very fair prices in the FS forum, you can get one for a very fair price compared to back then. Not judging or anything, but I constantly see very wealthy people "wasting" their money on very expensive gear when they don't even understand what it is. At a local Headphone store, one fellow was trying to buy an AKG K3003i as his first IEM... He tried it and asks if there is anything better. To put it simply, the guy was trying to get the BEST IEM so he can have that status of the BEST IEM. He didn't care if it sounded phenomenal (which it does), he just wanted the best... And people with that kind of mindset really makes me sigh in disbelief... I want to give people experience, not useless buying advice. Thanks for reading and apologize for my harsh comment plz

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #34 of 154
I agree with planx. He can get much more enjoyment from working his way up and learning the intricacies of high end audio and hi-fi audio equipment along the way. I don't think its offensive to say so, I think its sound advice to give a friend.

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #35 of 154
OP, I don't know how you ended up choosing the LCD2, but here's a few other headphones to consider:
Denon 7000
Hifiman HE-400

This is based on what I've read in the gaming thread. The Denon is probably bassy enough for your friend, and sounds "spacious" enough for gaming and classical. It can get hot to wear though--leather cushions.

The HE-400 is new, but again, the guy who started the gaming thread loves them so far. Also less likely to feel hot than the Denon; as it comes with both pleather and velour pads. Supposedly excellent sound all-round.

You'll want to ask your friend if he needs voice chat while gaming, and what system he uses (PC? PS3? Xbox?). Then read up on virtual surround sound. 

Alternatively with $1,500 he could buy a wireless headset for gaming and then a nice "mid-range" headphone+amp for music. I'm sure there are many good options if he goes down that path. As someone stated before, gaming + good for music are 2 difficult requirements for a single headphone to meet.

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #36 of 154
ok, the problem now is that the moment i told him about the headphone he bought it, and how do you expect me to tell him this now :frowning2:
he was very hasty to buy them on the spot ( rich people with no patience) i on the other hand will buy and aurora Live :p , my budget is small and as you said, i like to gain experience before going for expensive things i bet he only wanted to show off, but since i am his friend  i have to bear with his puny thoughts! other than showing off , he is a true friend :wink:

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #37 of 154
Quote:
ok, the problem now is that the moment i told him about the headphone he bought it, and how do you expect me to tell him this now :frowning2:
he was very hasty to buy them on the spot ( rich people with no patience) i on the other hand will buy and aurora Live :p , my budget is small and as you said, i like to gain experience before going for expensive things

There's nothing to do now is there? Let's hope that he actually sees the light after his LCD2 + amp setup and becomes a respected member of the community (if he joins) like a lot of fantastic members here.

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #38 of 154
he is a rich kid(not really a kid since he is 19), he will throw his headphone after a getting bored with it, and now he is screaming for me to ask him for a amp, i really did regret telling him that heaphone , but hey, i wont lie, i too was intersted in it, and how the amp could really make it so much better :wink:

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #43 of 154
Quote:
this not a thread to make fun of me ,plz

Can you link me to the thread that was created for that purpose?

Quote:
he is a rich kid(not really a kid since he is 19), he will throw his headphone after a getting bored with it, and now he is screaming for me to ask him for a amp, i really did regret telling him that heaphone , but hey, i wont lie, i too was intersted in it, and how the amp could really make it so much better :wink:

That's definitely still a kid -- just look at the kinds of questions he's asking. Anyway, just get him an LCD2 and some $500 amp and be done with it. He can plug his dad's Macbook Pro into it and rock out.

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #45 of 154
I was going to suggest a Smyth Realiser for FPS gaming until I saw there was a budget after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back