The best headphones i can buy! ( money is no issue)
Jul 25, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #17 of 154
If you're looking ultra high-end, a full top-of-the-line far-as-you-can-go setup would most likely include a Stax SR009 ($5200), a Woo Audio WES amplifier ($4990), a Woo Audio WDS-1 DAC ($1199), and a Woo Audio WTP-1 Top-Loading CD Transport ($1199). Though it's arguable that a dedicated SACD player would do better than the WTP-1 pure audio-wise, tests have proven that even to golden ears an SACD playback is indistinguishable from CD, and your friend would have to build an entire SACD collection, which is hard to do. In addition, keeping all the components Woo ensures sonic synergy.

Total for audio nirvana: $12,588
Look on his face when he realizes he didn't plan on spending that much: priceless

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #18 of 154
Quote:
Final audio muramasa viii
Most expensive headphone out there

Well, actually the Sennheiser HE90/HEV90 Orpheus is the most expensive. The system sold a few years back for $30,000 at one point. In addition, we still don't know if the Muramasa VIII sounds any good, as Final is actually discontinuing them before release, with only a few being shipped out to pre-order customers because it's not financially viable to make.

There's no way the OP is getting their hands on that.

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #21 of 154
Jude has said that he believes a good SR009 combo beats out the HE90 in terms of sonic performance. It's a limited, handcrafted collectible, but I believe the Stax has the edge over the Sennheiser. I can't say from personal experience, however, as I've never heard an HE90.

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #22 of 154
Quote:
Jude has said that he believes a good SR009 combo beats out the HE90 in terms of sonic performance. It's a limited, handcrafted collectible, but I believe the Stax has the edge over the Sennheiser. I can't say from personal experience, however, as I've never heard an HE90.

If you are susceptible to placebo effect, and care more about musicality and engagement than dead-on accuracy, then HE90s probably win against SR009. Especially the case as the HE90s have the most euphoric smoothed over liquid fluid organic sound ever, as described by most who've auditioned it.

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #24 of 154
The HE90/HEV90 combo is being sold by wiktor, who seems to be currently selling off about half his profile.

In other news, the second most-expensive headphone listing on eBay is for a lot of 2500 Altec-Lansing in-ears. I feel like buying just because I can (except I can't).

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #26 of 154
Quote:
his limit is about 1500$, i am very sorry, i though the most expensive headphone was around 1000$ , i guess i was wrong :p
i convinced him to pick the 

audeze lcd2

but now i need an amplifier?

Haha I knew it! I thought to myself.... his friend is going to come back and say "Dood!... I thought the most expensive headphone ever would be something like $1,000 not $30,000!" Haha classic.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #29 of 154
Wiktor overcharges by insane amounts. On the other hand his gear generally is in pristine condition. At $31k I still wouldn't buy one even if I could afford it - paying that much for one will drive the market value up even more.

Too bad, HE90/HEV90 is definitely the most musical setup I've ever heard. If only Sennheiser still made 'stats instead of dynamics pretending to be 'stats, and failing at it.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #30 of 154
Sennheiser Orpheus electrostat headphones and amp.... $30,000.
Impressing your friends on Facebook by saying "money is no issue".... priceless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back