the BEST gaming headphone
May 7, 2012 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

hello im sean

100+ Head-Fier
hi, well i've heard STAX are the best for gaming, but to be honest all of the newer ones are out of my price range and i know about older models and what to look for in them.. So i was thinking about going for the AKG Q701.  They seem to be pretty ideal with a wide and accurate sound stage and the perfect range of frequencies.  Any objections or suggestions? plus these would be great for some music i think :)

Also i focus mainly on competitive play, fun sounding is secondary to in game performance.  Also i plan to run it through a mix amp for the dolby headphone and if it needs more amping i can re-amp that signal too lol thanks!

May 7, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 17
I think you found what you need. For competitive gaming the Q701's are perfect, you can add the M-stage for more power. 

May 7, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:
i have a NFB-12 desktop amp and a mini^3 portable, would they work alright? and should i amp it before or after the mixamp? thanks

The NFB-12 shouldn't have a problem driving the 701's according to the specs. No experience with the mini. 

Your setup should be like this: Source>Mixamp>amp>headphones

or you can try the mixamp alone to see how it works. 

May 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 17
AKG 701's are great for computer use, such as gaming, I use them myself.

That said, plenty of people opt for the 5:1 sets from makers such as Steelseries now to enjoy the 'pseudo' surround sound. They aren't in the same league as the AKG's for pure sound quality however.

May 7, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:
AKG 701's are great for computer use, such as gaming, I use them myself.

That said, plenty of people opt for the 5:1 sets from makers such as Steelseries now to enjoy the 'pseudo' surround sound. They aren't in the same league as the AKG's for pure sound quality however.

I have heard quite a few of those gamer cans, none of them match a good can with dolby headphone, and in a game like BF3 with an AMAZING sound engine its an even bigger difference.

have a look here.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-4-12-2012-akg-q701-added

May 7, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #8 of 17
i read that thread and thats how i first heard about the mixamp etc.  Question would you recommend a dedicated sound card with CMSS-3D or a mixamp with dolby headphone? also could i use an AMB mini^3 as a preamp for the mixamp safely?

May 7, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #9 of 17
arg no an STX with proper dolby headphone, and use the line outs to your amp.

you can change the opamps to LME49860 in I/V
or LT1364 in I/V and OPA827 in buffer 
Or if you are after pure clarity (harsh signiture) AD797 in I/V and some or other smooth opamp in buffer

May 7, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #11 of 17
The Creative Labs Titanium HD is the best gaming card.
I'm an Xonar STX user and I like pushing Xonar sound cards.
But the Titanium HD has better game support.

May 7, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #12 of 17
Op, wait for the Asus Rog xonar. Its aimed for gamers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back