The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)?
Sep 19, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #301 of 411

Quote:

No problem, I was only curious. I do think they're worth more then a trial at Best Buy. I did notice that straight out of the box they sound a bit muffled at first, but it goes away after burn-in. I always wanted to try the SuperFi 5, but coming from the TF10, I may be a bit disappointed, so who knows. I basically want something a bit smaller that sounds good for use during exercise.

BTW I just got back from Best Buy and picked up the UR-40. It's funny because I bought these from my coinstar coin return money and a $10 reward zone coupon. The fact they use KSC75 drivers doesn't give me much hope that they'll be all at impressive. I like the KSC75, but the drivers seem too tiny for such a big headphone. I guess an open headphone version of the KSC75 sounds interesting. I'm hoping the drivers are at least a bigger version of the ones in the KSC75! Those titanium Koss drivers sound pretty good.

You WILL be disappointed with the SuperFi 5v2. They are not bad, they just don't do anything especially well. The mids are the best feature. The bass is a tad bloated and lacking at the same time. The highs are just nothing to write home about (thus my recent purchase of Grado's...XD). They also have a cord that I looks so fragile I try not to be in motion when using them. For $50 not bad though. They are about an inch better than my Shure SE110's IMO which I got for $40. I need to get rid of them though... 

Sep 19, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #303 of 411

Quote:
audio technica makes an ad300 open air set for like 35, i would save a few bucks and pick up some ad700's though. the reviews on both sets are very solid.

Nice. This thread is pretty much done with and you answer the question after the OP makes a purchase. Good job!
Haha, not flaming, don't retort. It's okay. IT'S OKAY!
Welcome to Head-Fi!

Sep 19, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #305 of 411

Quote:
Amazon currently has the Pioneer SE-M390 on sale for $30 shipped.

They are a great deal for that price....nice sounding headphones.

Sep 19, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #306 of 411
Well you can take the Koss UR-40 off the possible list of cheap, good headphones. Probably the worst i've ever heard. All my music felt like an unlistenable mess. Vocals were basically impossible to hear clearly, especially during bass heavy songs. The feeling I got with these is that they sound so hollow and that someone took a piece of cloth and put it over the driver and then had a fan pointed right at them in between your ear and the driver. Bass, mid-range, soundstage, instrument separation is basically as bad as it gets. Feels almost as if the driver is too small for these headphones. It's very hard to get  loud volumes out of these headphones and when you do, you can feel them rattling! I will say these are some of the most comfortable headphones under $100 i've EVER heard! Sadly, I wouldn't pay more then $20 for these.

I'm shocked these could share the same drivers as the KSC75. The KSC75 blows them away in every way possible. Music actually sounds good on those. Strangely the UR-40 has far more bass, so maybe that has a lot to do with it.

Think i'll go order those Maxell headphones. They remind me of my old Triports and those were extremely comfortable.

Sep 19, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #307 of 411
my friend bought a pair of the Koss UR-whatever's from Radioshack to my dissmay, and I thought they sounded decent, better soundstage than the KSC-75, but the tone was off- and so I prefered the ksc75 in the end by quite a bit.  I can't really remember how it was off, but thin and plasticy is what I remember. 

Sep 19, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #308 of 411

Quote:
my friend bought a pair of the Koss UR-whatever's from Radioshack to my dissmay, and I thought they sounded decent, better soundstage than the KSC-75, but the tone was off- and so I prefered the ksc75 in the end by quite a bit.  I can't really remember how it was off, but thin and plasticy is what I remember. 

Radio Shack doesn't sell the UR-55 yet, so it was probably the UR-40. What you said is almost exactly how I would describe the sound, except for being decent. I wouldn't even call them that, but I wish I could! I think basically most every instrument sounded way off and un-natural.

Wish I knew what kind of driver the old TNT/55 had in it. Probably the same as the KSC75.

Sep 19, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #311 of 411
Sep 19, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #313 of 411
The Koss Pro3AA's, PortaPro's, KTXPRO1's, KSC75's, UR40's are all exceptional for the price!. I find the best bang for the buck to be the JVC HARX700 as it seems to be a great all rounder, though it's a big headphone!

EDIT: And look at that! Another Zombie has risen below me!!

Sep 19, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #314 of 411
if you can get passed the looks. for the price, and being closed. the panasonic rp-htx7 sound surprisingly good.
redface.gif

but be careful dropping them scratches and dents the aluminum caps, makeing them look even worse, but they still sound the same.
popcorn.gif

zombie

Sep 19, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #315 of 411
Anyone have any thoughts on the Pioneer SE-M390? I'm going to return the Koss UR-55. They hurt my ears.

Also. I use headphones heavily for gaming. And everything sounded like it had an echo, almost hollow.

I'm coming from heavy use on Sony MDR-V150's btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back