the best dac for 2k
Jul 3, 2010 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 118

yococo96

Head-Fier

hi 
i want to upgrade my rig.(02, dx1000) 
now I'm looking for a hi end dac. 
I want something that is musical but not lacks detail. 
I made a list; 
havana 
rwa isabellina 
cyrus dacx 
wavelength the brick with power supply 
bryston bda1 wich I really don't know. 
I need an usb input. 
thanks

Jul 4, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 118
There aren't many high end dacs I can think of with usb.

Mhdt Havana
Audio Note Dac kit 3.1
Audio Research Dac 7

The AN is slightly more than 2k but would probably be the best sounding of those choices.

Jul 4, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #5 of 118
hi
thanks for all those answers:wink: 
the perfect wave looks good but is too much for me. 
I don't know why but th ewyred4sound looks good to me, and is at a great price.
do you think these dac will match my ges+ 02 rig? 
and just one question if I buy one that haven't got an usb input what can I use to have the big sound (all my files are in flac).
thanks

Jul 4, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #6 of 118
dont bother with usb input. whats important is get a suitable dac for the O2. You can always use usb/spdif converter later. My experience with O2 (with kgss) is that this headphone are quite picky with source. I use Neko Audio D100 which synergize with 404LE perfectly but as soon as i change to O2, the sound darken to the level like the headphone is having problem with power. Virtually un-listenable or to say the least not what you would expect from an O2. I have 2 more DAC (pico and stello DA100) and I finally settled with DA100 which gives a more balanced sound and less dark. 

Bottom line if you are shopping for a dac for O2, look for a brighter dac to compensate the darkness of O2. Tried DAC magic on my rig and surprisingly it works pretty well.

The opinion above solely valid for O2 as I have no experience with Dx1000 you may end up to need 2 DAC for all we know

Jul 4, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #7 of 118
If your main source is a computer, USB can be essential.  You can use a M2Hiface USB->SDPIF converter but I am not sure that is really necessary given the money you are willing to spend.

I am SHOCKED no one else hasnt mentioned the Lavry DA11 and/or Benchmark DAC-1 USB.  I would put these on your short list.

I WOULD NOT get a DAC that colors or fuzzes the signal.  That IMO is the wrong approach.  Basically try to get a DAC that is as transparent as possible (the DAC magic and Lavry DA11 are both very good at that).  Then you can *fuzz* up the signal to compensate for darkness on the amp end (which btw is much easier by switching either opamps or tubes).

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #8 of 118
I'm a bit surprised by your list as you want detail and musicality and some of your choices could disappoint you.
Audio-GD does great DACs in my opinion with more detail and musical flow then the RWA/ Lavry/Benchmark I have heard.
The  Audio-GD Re5 and RE7 both have USB that can handle higher res files and then the DSP1 processor  takes care of jitter.
Can you get to listen to different DACs before buying?
Ive heard the RE5 vs the Isabellina. The RE5 was so much better it was in a different class with that system. Its easy to choose when you can A-B and its not necessary to  try and hear differences.

Jul 4, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #9 of 118
yes I didn't think about the dac1 an lavry da11. 
and no I can't listen to them I'm in france. 
looking at audio gd. so the best of them is the re7? is it better than the da11,mini dac, and dac1? 
and one question acd1 or dac1?

Jul 4, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #10 of 118

Quote:
There aren't many high end dacs I can think of with usb.

Mhdt Havana
Audio Note Dac kit 3.1
Audio Research Dac 7

The AN is slightly more than 2k but would probably be the best sounding of those choices.

I'll second the Audio Note. These are the most analog sounding dacs I've ever heard. They punch way above their price point. I own an Audio Note 1.1. I've heard a 3.1. As close to vinyl as I've ever heard digital. Definitely on my upgrade list

Jul 4, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #12 of 118

Quote:
If your main source is a computer, USB can be essential.  You can use a M2Hiface USB->SDPIF converter but I am not sure that is really necessary given the money you are willing to spend.

I am SHOCKED no one else hasnt mentioned the Lavry DA11 and/or Benchmark DAC-1 USB.  I would put these on your short list.

I WOULD NOT get a DAC that colors or fuzzes the signal.  That IMO is the wrong approach.  Basically try to get a DAC that is as transparent as possible (the DAC magic and Lavry DA11 are both very good at that).  Then you can *fuzz* up the signal to compensate for darkness on the amp end (which btw is much easier by switching either opamps or tubes).

USB/SPDIF converter will not cost the OP and arm and legs unless you settled with high end one like Sonicweld in which a waste of money anyway. By using this converter the OP are opening a whole new world of choices rather than restricted to a USB DAC only. And there are myriad of good DAC be it legacy DAC or new at the market.

On the colored DAC, most of the DAC that I heard or own are indeed colored. It depends how bad the coloration are. It is the wrong approach but the ONLY feasible approach bearing in mind the OP have GES which is deemed underpowered for O2 by most. I would agree on neutral DAC if the amp is a BHawaii. But with anything under it, you definitely need a bright DAC to compensate for the darkness of O2. Or otherwise the potential and SQ of O2 will not be there. My statement is based on my own experience as I own O2mk2 with KGSS.

Jul 4, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #13 of 118
Antelope Zodiac would be another consideration.

If I had to pick from your list it would definitely be the Brick, or maybe you could start with the Proton.
 Owning and listening to a product with Streamlength right now, and it is the best I have listened to in my own setup yet.

Jul 4, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #14 of 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nada /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm a bit surprised by your list as you want detail and musicality and some of your choices could disappoint you. Audio-GD does great DACs in my opinion with more detail and musical flow then the RWA/ Lavry/Benchmark I have heard. The Audio-GD Re5 and RE7 both have USB that can handle higher res files and then the DSP1 processor  takes care of jitter.

Can you get to listen to different DACs before buying?

Ive heard the RE5 vs the Isabellina. The RE5 was so much better it was in a different class with that system. Its easy to choose when you can A-B and its not necessary to  try and hear differences.

Bold: Interesting.

Jul 4, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #15 of 118

Quote:
hi
thanks for all those answers:wink: 
the perfect wave looks good but is too much for me. 
I don't know why but th ewyred4sound looks good to me, and is at a great price.
do you think these dac will match my ges+ 02 rig? 
and just one question if I buy one that haven't got an usb input what can I use to have the big sound (all my files are in flac).
thanks

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1282842926&/Ps-audio-Perfectwave-DAC   $1900 new

Users who are viewing this thread

Back