The "best" budget source, without modding?
Jul 18, 2005 at 9:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Covenant

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for something sub-$500, preferably one on the smooth/warm side, that offers the best price/performance ratio possible.

So far the best candidate i've run across is the NAD C521BEE, which i'll be buying as an interim solution to a much more expensive source further down the track. I'm buying my final rig amp now, though, and it seems somehow wrong to me to pair an excellent amp with an "ok" source.

So if something significantly better than the NAD can be found, under the $500 mark, that doesn't require modding from stock (i don't want to worry about shipping the thing back and forth, as i have no DIY skill), i want to know about it!
tongue.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 5
With a soundcard upgrade to waveterminal u24 and a DAC, computer will give you lower jitter, and convenience of having your entire collection at your finger tip.

You can resell your CDs on amazon and buy more CDs.

Get a used DAC at www.audiogon.com

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 5
It is a bit over your budget, but the Eastsound CD-E5 is a great source for the money.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
It is a bit over your budget, but the Eastsound CD-E5 is a great source for the money.
smily_headphones1.gif

I noticed that the thread on the Eastsound had grown out of all proportion
wink.gif
Maybe i should take the time to claw my way through that one.

Being the immensely annoying mind-changer i am, i'm now thinking of going the opposite route, and going for a more expensive source first and putting the amp on hold for the time being. My initial plan was to grab the MPX3 i've been buying up tubes for, find the cheapest decent source i could (aka, C521BEE) to run it out of, while i bide my time and save for the big source.

I suppose i was motivated mostly by my desire to appease Mikhail, who i'm sure is supremely irritated by my constant indecision and extensive email queries (god bless his patient soul), but this approach seems a tad illogical. Wouldn't i get a much better sound quality with a great source and a cruddy amp than a cruddy source and a great amp? I think source-first will be the way to go here.

So... to summarise... back to research
tongue.gif
philodox, expect a PM about that Eastsound sometime soon
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back