Amen. IMO this song is one of the ultimate bass testing tracks
basshead.gif

Jun 24, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #17 of 482
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rover
Amen. IMO this song is one of the ultimate bass testing tracks
basshead.gif

Yeah this is a great track.
Another sweet bass track (though not 'audiophile') is Late Night Tip by Three 6 Mafia.
So much bass....
very_evil_smiley.gif

I also like to test 'phones with Steely Dans' Home At Last, & Puddle of Mudds' Drift and Die.
Also ZZ Tops' My Heads In Mississippi. This track has a sweet distorted bass tone.

Jun 24, 2006 at 1:31 PM Post #18 of 482
There are many but these are what came to my mind. Mostly non-audiophile stuff. More like bringing sanity and detail to chaos than crystal clear over-polished production.

ZZ Top - My Head's In Mississippi. Reasons mentioned above.
biggrin.gif

Nile - Cast Down Heretic. How headphone handles chaos of sound and play the very slight tone changes in riffs and such or does them blur in distortion.

Amon Amarth - Where Silent Gods Stand Guard. Excitement in guitars. Bassy distortion.

Amon Amarth - Death In Fire. Same as above.

Children Of Bodom - Downfall (Live in Tokyo. From Tokyo warhearts album). Overall excitement.

Corpus Christii - Throne of the Proud. See if i can follow intentionally low-quality-production blackmetal and hear all instruments in wall-of-sound.

Summoning - Farewell. Stereo and soundstage (atleast the way i understand it).

Judas Priest - Painkiller. Excitement again.

Jun 27, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #19 of 482
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama
Yeah this is a great track.
Another sweet bass track (though not 'audiophile') is Late Night Tip by Three 6 Mafia.
So much bass....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Do you feel like your headphones drop as low as this song drops on its lowest frequency?

Jun 28, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #20 of 482
Quote:

Originally Posted by I3eyond
Do you feel like your headphones drop as low as this song drops on its lowest frequency?

Well...maybe. This song is so subteranean in the bass that I probably can't audibly pick up the lowest of the lows. But I pick up at least most of it.
I also have a 10w7 subwoofer in my car, which is truly painfull with this song
very_evil_smiley.gif
, and in the car, there is a tremendous amount of shaking in addition what I can hear (which indicates reproduction of inaudible low frequency, as subwoofer fans will tell you it is felt, not heard).

But to answer the question, I would say the phones do reproduce it, though not as loud as slightly higher frequencies, but I can also feel my headphones moving. It is very very subtle though, and it has to be at a good sound level. They pulsate against my neck.

Also, my HD650's handle it far better than my PX100s. (not suprising though)

What I love about the song is the bass is smooth like butter. The lyrics are pointless to me, but the bass is just all over the place.

I sugguest going to realmofexcursion.com and watching video of car subs. A great majority use this song, and you can literally watch the subs go crazy. Its pretty cool. Try JL Audio 12w7 and Eclipse 15" Titanium sub vids
icon10.gif

Jun 28, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #21 of 482
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama
Well...maybe. This song is so subteranean in the bass that I probably can't audibly pick up the lowest of the lows. But I pick up at least most of it.
I also have a 10w7 subwoofer in my car, which is truly painfull with this song
very_evil_smiley.gif
, and in the car, there is a tremendous amount of shaking in addition what I can hear (which indicates reproduction of inaudible low frequency, as subwoofer fans will tell you it is felt, not heard).

But to answer the question, I would say the phones do reproduce it, though not as loud as slightly higher frequencies, but I can also feel my headphones moving. It is very very subtle though, and it has to be at a good sound level. They pulsate against my neck.

Also, my HD650's handle it far better than my PX100s. (not suprising though)

What I love about the song is the bass is smooth like butter. The lyrics are pointless to me, but the bass is just all over the place.

I sugguest going to realmofexcursion.com and watching video of car subs. A great majority use this song, and you can literally watch the subs go crazy. Its pretty cool. Try JL Audio 12w7 and Eclipse 15" Titanium sub vids
icon10.gif

Yeah, that's how I knew about this song. I used to be into car audio, and this seems to always be the reference point for subs.

Dec 13, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #22 of 482
Came across this Topic recently, it deteriorated to "tracks with lots of bass" quickly.

Plenty of good albums out there; Paul Brady's Spirits Colliding (1995) is well produced and has some good songs with a mix of vocals, acoustic, and electronic/rock elements. Bela Fleck, the Wootens, & The Corrs (!) appear in parts of it.

I just love the track "The world is what you make it".

Some of the stuff off Talking Timbuktu, Ry Cooder & Ali Farke Toure is great. Maxwell's blacksummernights has some great high-production-value R&B. TV on the Radio's Big Science has plenty of dense detail. My taste in classical doesn't go much beyond Bach; the Suzuki Cantatas are well done, and the Cello Suites by Jean-guihen Queyras feature georgeous tone on a period instrument.

I have a problem that I need to like a track before I will willingly listen to repeatedly!

Dec 17, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #24 of 482
Royskopp "what else is there" (trentemoller remix)

Dec 19, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #28 of 482
Whole albums:
Massive Attack - Mezzanine - bass, vocals
Pink Floyd - DSOTM - soundstaging, various instruments
Shpongle - Tales of the Inexpressible - mostly for the strings, flute and complex layering
Thievery Coporation - Mirror Conspiracy - bass, vocals
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue 50th Anniversary - timbre
Radiohead - OK Computer, Kid A - No analysis, just listen and see if I get sucked in
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia - acoustic guitar
Ultrasone demo disc - various uses for various tracks

Dec 19, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #29 of 482
Quote:

Originally Posted by suba3333 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Royskopp "what else is there" (trentemoller remix)

Awesome track

Dec 21, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #30 of 482
SaraK (Chesky) is about the most natural recording I’ve ever heard. The recording is unusual in that it sounds quite ordinary with mid-fi gear unlike say Patricia Barber who’s recordings tend to sound good no matter what equipment is used and scales with better gear. The Chesky recordings tend to come in to their own only with exceptional gear, that has been my experience anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back