The Best audiophile tracks to test equipment
Dec 17, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #436 of 482
Anybody have recommendations for female vocals in the same quality as Agnes Obel, Eva Cassidy?? Doesn’t necessarily need to be the same genre but just that airy quality to go with their amazing voice.

Dec 18, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #437 of 482
Not female vocals, but if anyone is looking for an album to test soundstage and tone, Duke Ellington’s “Jazz Party” is an excellent alternative to classical music.

Dec 18, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #438 of 482

The Dark Knight Rises 2012 Soundtrack Suite OST Hans Zimmer
http://www.hdtracks.com/the-dark-kn...tion-picture-soundtrack-deluxe-edition-134458

192 kHz/24 bit

I started getting closer and closer to this soundtrack in Hi-res finding it was both challenging and rewarding in systems. Maybe due to the detail or layering? There is a darkness throughout that borders on sadness but never gets there. Maybe it’s the somber mood, but most likely the bass that I like.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #440 of 482
95% and more of the recommendations are from before year 2000. Has recording quality declined in the last two decades? I cant find a single song recommendation produced in the last decade or so!

Six String Theory by Lee Ritenour is one of the best sounding albums I've heard and it is fairly recent. Multichannel DVD-A

Dec 20, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #441 of 482
I always enjoy putting on some 24/192 John Williams. The man never fails to disappoint in full glory!

Dec 21, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #442 of 482
Here's my shortlist of very non-traditional music to test equipment! There's a sound that I look for, and I use these songs to device whether enough of what I like I present in a given product.

• speakers stereo width: Billy Cobham - Stratus
  • speakers scale: Beastie Boys - Sabotage
  • mid bass tightness: Afta-1 - Afro Combs
  • low bass depth: Electric Guest - The Bait
  • treble response/if speaker is too bright: Bob Marley - Could You Be Loved
  • high treble transient response: John Frizzell - The Juggernaut
  • bass extension: Pete Belasco - Deeper
  • Is it veiled or not?: Korn - Evolution
  • high frequency grit: Drake - Hold On, We're Going Home
  • extreme low bass presence: Deadmau5 - HR 8938 Cephei

Dec 21, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #444 of 482
Anybody have recommendations for female vocals in the same quality as Agnes Obel, Eva Cassidy?? Doesn’t necessarily need to be the same genre but just that airy quality to go with their amazing voice.

@freesole You could try these, 3 of my favourite female vocallists :-

And of course there is the legend that is Joni Mitchell. I particularly love her 'Blue' Album :-

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #447 of 482
Jan 24, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #449 of 482

I'm guessing you didn't want the standard suggestions like Rhye, Adele, Sara Bareilles and the like...

Give the following artists a listen
1. Alice Smith - tracks titled - "I Put a Spell on You, Cabaret or She"
2. Laura Mulva - tracks titled "She, Green Garden, or Diamonds"
3. Lianne La Havas - tracks titled Au Cinema and Elusive
4. Vanessa Da Mata - track named Boa Sorta English or Portuguese versions and plenty of others
5. Bibi Bourelly - track entitled Sally (language)

I'm not sure I would state each has the same quality as the artists you mentioned but all are great to me.

I have a few jazz vocalists as well I could share if you are interested....

Cans16

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #450 of 482
This one microphone recording is simply incredible, Way better than anything of this kind I have heard before. Advantage of one mic recording is that you have absolutely no phase problems.
Highly recommended;
CarmenOMR300shadowv2.png
https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/408-carmen-gomes-inc-dont-you-cry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back