The best affordable MD Recorder.
Jun 8, 2002 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

ultimai

New Head-Fier
I would like to buy an MD player and would like to know which one is the best. I would like it to be able to wistand me putting it under a chair leg and then sitting on the chair for a while and still work quite fine from then on without any non-superficial damage. I would like to be able to drop it onto cement. That "netMD" feature also looked good. I also have a price range of $150-200 USD.

The the Sony "sports" NetMD looked like the best one for this, but I want your guy's experienced opinions.

Jun 9, 2002 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 36
Hmm, do you also want it to be able to survive a mauling by a rabid jackalope?

I don't know, the most durable MD players you'll find are the all-metal ones, which aren't the newest. I don't think any of the NetMD players are metal construction, as they fell victim to the "smaller, lighter" mania that seems to have infected Sony and the other makers.

I use a JVC XM-R70, which is all aluminum or magnesium or something and very durable. I found it used, but in excellent shape for under $100 on eBay. Look for something like that, probably.

kerelybonto

Jun 9, 2002 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 36
Ah, actually, I think the N1, Sony's current top-of-the-line model is all magnesium, too. It's out of your price range, though, going for around $300.

Let's see if we can figure out if any of the others are metal construction. ...

kerelybonto

Jun 9, 2002 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 36
can any MD recorder actually stand up to being under a chair leg that is sat on??? thats definitely massive abuse...im not sure even if metal cased ones would live through it...but im definitely not going to try it on my sony recorder.
biggrin.gif

unfortunitely ultimai, you're asking for a lot, with not a lot of money to spend. The only things i can recommend for that price range are the sony MZN505 and MZS1. They're both under $200, and feature netMD.

The sports one is water resistant, but im not sure if its neccessarily more durable.

The other option is you can try and find old high end sony's and sharp's on sale for under $200...

Jun 9, 2002 at 2:07 AM Post #5 of 36
I'll just assume you were joking about the chair thing and recommend accordingly since I don't think even Sony's ES equipment could survive that without a dent or two. Get a Sony MZ-N505. Has NetMD, and has the Type R ATRAC for $150.

Jun 9, 2002 at 4:36 AM Post #6 of 36
Hey if you can do it (put the device under a chair leg and gently sit on the chair (not jump into it or something)) to a PDA and only crack glass and not the LCD/backlight (and electronics), I think you can do it to an MD. What I mean that If I did that to an MD recorder, would I damage the electronics or would it still be fine? I dont care if there is some superficial dent. That's why I had my eyes on the "sports" MD player, since it was designed for some rough and tumble. I dont expect it to survive as some sort of long range projectile or anything or being thrown on cement. I was just wondering if it can take some abuse. So no, I was not joking about the chair thing.

The sports one seems the best right now for the 150-200 price range. Any other ideas?

Jun 9, 2002 at 4:42 AM Post #7 of 36
its quite obvious that u have your sights set on the sony sports model...so buy it and i think you will be quite happy...

other ppl here have purchased it and have not had problems with it..

Jun 10, 2002 at 8:30 AM Post #10 of 36
Actually, I think he wants the beast of all MDR's, the MZ-1. Its about the size of a VCR (almost). And about as dense as my head...er, a chunk of steel.

Jun 10, 2002 at 9:03 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by ultimai
Hey if you can do it (put the device under a chair leg and gently sit on the chair (not jump into it or something)) to a PDA and only crack glass and not the LCD/backlight (and electronics), I think you can do it to an MD. What I mean that If I did that to an MD recorder, would I damage the electronics or would it still be fine? I dont care if there is some superficial dent. That's why I had my eyes on the "sports" MD player, since it was designed for some rough and tumble. I dont expect it to survive as some sort of long range projectile or anything or being thrown on cement. I was just wondering if it can take some abuse. So no, I was not joking about the chair thing.

The sports one seems the best right now for the 150-200 price range. Any other ideas?

Honestly, I don't see why someone would do such thing as "the chair thing" to an electronic device costing 200 USD. Just doesn't make sense to me, but perhaps you have your reasons. It is very likely that the recorder will be badly damaged. For these type of experiments I'd recomend using a small block of wood, metal or tough plastic, no damage plus it's much cheaper. Consider this as my vote for your MD recorder.

Jun 10, 2002 at 6:04 PM Post #12 of 36
I agree.

1) How could you POSSIBLY need that much protection? I mean, are you prone to throwing electronics out the window?

2) Why not just get a case for it?

Jun 10, 2002 at 10:11 PM Post #13 of 36
Putting something under a chair leg isnt as much damage as you think. I'm just prone to running and the MD hitting objects I'm running into, or leaving it on the floor...

How much do these cases cost?

Jun 11, 2002 at 9:09 AM Post #14 of 36
I'd say if you are used to such a rough handling, than MD may not be the format for you. Stick with cheap CD portables and change them every now and then (after each under chair experiment perhaps) No, seriously MD is too expensive for such things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back