The best 30~60W solid state speaker amp? (for 4 ohm speakers)
Dec 3, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #16 of 23
I can't imagine what magnepans you feel you will be overpowering with 60 watts, but I assure you they like all the power, and more importantly voltage, that they can get.

Even if you're only driving them to modest volumes, it behooves you to feed them as much high-quality power as you can get your hands on.

My MG12s get 300 watts per channel with a 75 volt swing. I don't play them any louder than when they only got 50, but they sound oh so much better.

Dec 8, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #17 of 23
hmmmm ... a little late to the party, but since no one has mentioned them, I would be remiss to not make a reco for Accuphase Class A amps, either new or used. I am hopelessly in love with my A-20, but for your 30-60 watt requirements, the A-30, A-45, or the monstrous A-60 are the ones to consider. These are the real deal in Class A amplification - overbuilt, underspec'd, will double output with 4, 2, and even 1 ohm loads without a fuss, and can be bridged for mono operation. At 4 ohms, the A-20 pushes 40 watts per channel, the 30 outputs 60 watts, etc, up to 120 watts at 4 ohms for the A-60.

Sound is wonderful - as good as it gets, imho, solid state or tubes.

Mar 9, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't imagine what magnepans you feel you will be overpowering with 60 watts, but I assure you they like all the power, and more importantly voltage, that they can get.

I'd have to agree with this statement. I've owned Maggie 1.5's and the more power, the tighter and more dynamic they became. Although I found with ss amps (at least the ones I tried) they were a little too harsh for me.

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #21 of 23
Probably late, but im a yakkity yak, so...

Bryston B-60?
Or any Bryston model.

If you decided to maybe check out tubes, maybe Prima Luna.

Mar 23, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #23 of 23
I'm selling my amp on Audiogon right now: Pioneer SX-A9-J

Here's the Pioneer web page.

I don't know how it compares to the other products mentioned here, but I really enjoyed using it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back