The best 30~60W solid state speaker amp? (for 4 ohm speakers)
Nov 28, 2008 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

AudioCats

Headphoneus Supremus
Curious about the options on the best SQ 30~60W solid state amps (into 4 ohm load).

Please do not recommand low end stuff like gain clones, T-amps etc.
regular_smile .gif

thanks
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 23
Richard Brown Bel1001 50watt per side can drive any load. with a flip of internal switches can become 200 watt monoblock.
I have a MK1 pair(latest are MK5s) but only using 1 in 50 watt configuration driving my Piega C8LTDS due to rack space.
These amps have cult following & after owning them I can see why,I plan on getting a pair of Mk5s at some point or send my pair to have them upgraded.
They come up for sale used not to often & usually snapped up right away when they do & they won't break the bank.
You can get better amps but it will cost a lot more.

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 23
I've built a couple of DIY projects from Nelson Pass and like his designs. If I were to buy a solid state power amp, my first stop would be looking at one from Pass Labs. There are usually several for sale at Audiogon.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #7 of 23
Duggeh's Pass Aleph amp on the FS forums fits the bill pretty nicely.

There really aren't many amps that get much better than Nelson's stuff, AFAIK, unless you have a particular preference.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #8 of 23
Are you looking for an integrated amp, or just the power amp?

Anyways it's difficult to know for advanced what you'll judge as "the best" and even more difficult not knowing the speakers you'll be using, your preferences and the music you'll be playing. There are a bunch of extremely good power amps being stable at 4Ohms and below, offering 40-60 watts. BTW do you want new and in current production, or would you consider also discontinued items?

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #9 of 23
I've been really inpressed with the SimAudio stuff from Canada.

I've got an I-5LE. It's a previous model but I prefer it to the newer I-1.

Soundstage, macro and micro-dynamics, fleshed out.

Much improved upon by the I-7 but the associated gear was much, much better than mine.

I fell in love with the Brinkmann integrated but it was well over my budget.

Associated equipment with my I-5 is a Linn TT, Arcam CDP, Triangle Antal's. I know it's not top shelf, but not exactly bottom rung either.

Good luck.

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Duggeh's Pass Aleph amp on the FS forums fits the bill pretty nicely.

There really aren't many amps that get much better than Nelson's stuff, AFAIK, unless you have a particular preference.

Try an Aleph 5 @ 60 wpc if you can get one.

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Richard Brown Bel1001 50watt per side can drive any load. with a flip of internal switches can become 200 watt monoblock.
I have a MK1 pair(latest are MK5s) but only using 1 in 50 watt configuration driving my Piega C8LTDS due to rack space.
These amps have cult following & after owning them I can see why,I plan on getting a pair of Mk5s at some point or send my pair to have them upgraded.
They come up for sale used not to often & usually snapped up right away when they do & they won't break the bank.
You can get better amps but it will cost a lot more.

It's a shame so few people have had the chance to experience BEL amps. I still vividly remember how shocked I was after hearing 1001 Mk V. As a die-hard tube-head, I still can't believe how Mk V just got out of the way of the music...

Dec 3, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you looking for an integrated amp, or just the power amp?

Anyways it's difficult to know for advanced what you'll judge as "the best" and even more difficult not knowing the speakers you'll be using, your preferences and the music you'll be playing. There are a bunch of extremely good power amps being stable at 4Ohms and below, offering 40-60 watts. BTW do you want new and in current production, or would you consider also discontinued items?

Just the power amp stage, driving magnapan or electrostatics playing classical or jazz....and no budget limit at this time (yes it is just day dreaming).
redface.gif

Dec 3, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just the power amp stage, driving magnapan or electrostatics playing classical or jazz....and no budget limit at this time (yes it is just day dreaming).
redface.gif

I see. A friend of mine had a pair of Apogee Stage and we tried several amps with them, those things are really hard to feed for their impedance and sensitivity, IMO harder than the Magnepans, which other friend has.
The one we liked better was the Audio Synthesis Desire Decade, but that's a 185w @ 8R and 280 @ 4 Ohm beast. Despite it, its sound is one of the most natural and "organic" from any SS amp I've heard. Pass designs are also great, but IMHO a bit more colored, more as if they were trying hard to sound like tubes. They're also a great option nonetheless.

The friend having the Magnepans ended up buying some Viola monoblocks, so go figure the kind of amps you need to get a "better" sound.

Another wonderful amp if you can find it, which can handle well the Apogees is the old Krell KSA 50. Not my cup of tea completely, but a good amp indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back