The best $200 tube-SS hybrid transportable amp you've never heard of ....
Nov 9, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #16 of 29
very very interested. Is it bright,warm,cold, analytical,tubey, mid-centric, bassy, trebly?

Edit:HOLY MOTHER OF ******** JESUS LOOK AT THE PRODUCTS LABELED SA-XX NEAR THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE.

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #17 of 29
It's Tubey-warm sounding....lol. But that's probably due to my current tubes, GE 3S4s. The 2P2 ones that I got don't sound bad, they just were defective after warming up.

Vampire Weekend's Contra sounds very nice with this combo.

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:
very very interested. Is it bright,warm,cold, analytical,tubey, mid-centric, bassy, trebly?

Edit:HOLY MOTHER OF ******** JESUS LOOK AT THE PRODUCTS LABELED SA-XX NEAR THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE.

huh? You mean the Audio GD stuff?

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:
All I gotta say is my setup sounds so good. Man the Sense G5 powers the HE-400s so nicely.

And that was with a 'high-pitched whine coming through both headphone ports regardless of volume' - can't begin to imagine how good this amp must sound WITHOUT said whine ....  :wink:

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #21 of 29
Nov 20, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #22 of 29
Yep, but one always has to ask 'Where did they cut the corners ?'. No question that these guys dont have Woo's overheads, but I'm always wary of 'bargains'.

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:
Yep, but one always has to ask 'Where did they cut the corners ?'. No question that these guys dont have Woo's overheads, but I'm always wary of 'bargains'.

everywhere, just an obvious guess. Then again compared to Audio Note Japan (Kondo) even Woo cuts corners :p 

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #24 of 29
So I got it too for my He-400, the Sense G5 is really good with it but I'm planning on changing the tubes, I had the whine problem twice when using it too much but not anymore. Still the tubes aren't that quiet.

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #25 of 29
I have never heard of a 2P2 tube & a 3S4 is a 7 pin. Did they change the tube set up?, the pictures show 12AU7 9 pin, clearly there is something not adding up here.
Can you please clarify. TIA.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #26 of 29
I'm not sure but I'm guessing that Sense did change the tube setup from their initial setup. 

May 9, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:
It's Tubey-warm sounding....lol. But that's probably due to my current tubes, GE 3S4s. The 2P2 ones that I got don't sound bad, they just were defective after warming up.

Vampire Weekend's Contra sounds very nice with this combo.

How would you rate the Sense G5/3S4 combo compared to other head amps you may have tried?

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #28 of 29
Hi, The Sense G5 is one of the best 12AU7 Headphone Amp on the market for the price....
Dual 12AU7 / ECC82 Tubes / Dual Head Phone inputs for High and Low impedance Headphones
Good quality sound, just replace the originals Chinese tubes and install any 12AU7 tube 
Better NOS New Old Stock tubes old production and you will enjoy the best warmer sound 
I own several Tube headphones amps different brands and different type of  tube and this one one the best in sound
I do have around 600 hours or more in mine with 2 NOS TUNGSRAM Hungarian Tubes and I also use my best 12AU7 tubes
RFT German tubes and the sound is the warmer of all my headphones amps including my nice Little Dot MK III and some other amps
With this amp I burn in my brand new AKG K702 for about 400 hours, Grado 325is, Beyerdinamic and sore other brands 
Excellent amp for the price and the best audio tubes in the market 12AU7 / ECC82.....

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #29 of 29
Agreed, it is  a very good amp.  I did not hear any warm sound but I did not use the original tube.  I have a few sets of expensive 12AU7  tubes sitting in the closet.  (The tubes are definitely over killed when you consider this $200 dollars)

the parts are of good quality when you consider the price.  

There are toroidal transformer, two Elna audio grade 4700 uf cap, alps potential meter.  

Of course, you may upgrade the output caps and the resistors of the Low phone out.  

this amp is indeed a bargain.  

Sam

P.S.  I did not hear any back ground noise when I was using my Grado.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back