"The Bee" - New Planars by DIY headphone producer Nectar Sound
Sep 3, 2022 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

ScornDefeat

500+ Head-Fier
Nectar Sound, a DIY headphone producer most known for electrostatics Hive and Pollinator, has released a new Planar Magnetic design known as The Bee.

Has anybody had an opportunity to pick up this one yet? Priced at $619, details from the website https://nectarsound.net/ are:

Planar Magnetic kind with a 10 ohm, 12um driver and detachable cable, with the same proven driver diameter and ‘wrapper’ of the HiveX. The Bee compliments the collection well with a darker, layered presentation, the sound feels like a warm blanket and is not your typical Planar sound. At a comfortable 430grams with a dual 2meter, 3.5mm harness, 1/4inch adapter cable, and 100mm Orion sheepskin slanted earpads The Bee is great for long listening sessions.

Seems like a potentially more-comfortable competitor to the LCD-2.

Bee_Resize.jpg

Sep 3, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 37
Yo @ScornDefeat

This is how it graphs and he's also selling on Reddit apparently as qu1en

Attachments

• RDT_20220903_2222398280152994611360231.jpg
    RDT_20220903_2222398280152994611360231.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 4, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 37
Yo @ScornDefeat

This is how it graphs and he's also selling on Reddit apparently as qu1en

Thanks for posting this!

Looks like a fairly crowd-pleasing tuning; rather linear and slightly elevated bass, scooped/non-fatiguing treble.

Certainly not my preferred tuning, potentially too dark for me, which often comes across as a bit dull or "flat" to my ears, but I can see the allure of this tuning and Planar bass at only 430g weight.

Sep 4, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #4 of 37
Thanks for posting this!

Looks like a fairly crowd-pleasing tuning; rather linear and slightly elevated bass, scooped/non-fatiguing treble.

Certainly not my preferred tuning, potentially too dark for me, which often comes across as a bit dull or "flat" to my ears, but I can see the allure of this tuning and Planar bass at only 430g weight.
Yeah, when you find his listing, there's a review that says they're dark and laid back. And that they take a little time to open up as far as mids.

Oct 13, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #6 of 37
Nov 2, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 37
Everyone's idea/opinion of dark can certainly be different. I've become a bit shy of elevated and pronounced upper mids, so this might be worth looking into.

Jan 19, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 37
These are now selling for $499.00 and my interest is piqued. I just discovered them on the four-letter forum. I have a high failure rate with planar's as far as satisfaction goes. My only hit has been the HiFiman HE6se V2's and they are really amp dependent. I had forgot how many I have owned. One win vs many losses. :relaxed:
Monoprice M570's, M1570's, T60RP's/T60 Argon's, Audeze Classic's, Oppo PM3's, HE 4XX's and MassDrop Edition XX's.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 37
These are now selling for $499.00 and my interest is piqued. I just discovered them on the four-letter site. I have a high failure rate with planar's as far as satisfaction goes. My only hit has been the HiFiman HE6se V2's and they are really amp dependent. I had forgot how many I have owned. One win vs many losses. :relaxed:
Monoprice M570's, M1570's, T60RP's/T60 Argon's, Audeze Classic's, Oppo PM3's, HE 4XX's and MassDrop Edition XX's.
If you ever find yourself with an itch to scratch, you should try the Quad Era-1. I think you'd like it.

Jan 19, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #11 of 37
If you ever find yourself with an itch to scratch, you should try the Quad Era-1. I think you'd like it.
I was going to say this exact thing... sold my HE6SE and kept the Quad.

Jan 19, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #12 of 37
I have been looking at those for quite a while. A few people have recommended them to me. And I keep reading that thread constantly. :smile:

Jan 20, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #13 of 37
What are its strengths? What intrigues me about the Bees are its bass focus. I have heard the word bass bounced around planars before, but I have yet to hear a bassy planar. I have had planers that take Very well to EQ/bass boost (T60RP/T60 Argons and HE6se V2's, etc.), but none that had strong bass right off the bat.

What makes the Quad ERA-1's worth buying for you?

Jan 20, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #14 of 37
I was going to say this exact thing... sold my HE6SE and kept the Quad.
And what are their strengths for you? What do they do really well?

Jan 20, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #15 of 37
And what are their strengths for you? What do they do really well?
The Quad is a little more relaxed than the HE6SE v2, which I can only describe as aggressively energetic. Similar amounts of detail, but I prefer the midrange and timbre on the Quad--sounds more natural to me. Bass is punchy with EQ, not 'quite' HE6SE but just as enjoyable. I find them more balanced overall, while still being engaging and fun.

Build quality on the Quad is also beautiful (though it creaks), pads are luxurious, and the fit and finish don't really leave much to be desired... though it creaks. Also much easier to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back