The beautiful south
Jul 28, 2008 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone love this band? What are the standout albums? i'm currently listening to solid bronze. Its great but i was wondering why it only gets a 2.5 star rating on amg compared to the other compilations. Anyone able to shed some light on this? Markl? Bong?
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 10:54 AM Post #2 of 9
Ah the beautiful south, a very good band, I had the compilation carry on up the charts and several of their albums. Very clever lyrics and sharp melodies although after blue is the colour the quality did slip. I think my favourite was welcome to the beautiful south. I love that they decided to split up "because of musical similarities"!

Jul 28, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #3 of 9
welcome is the first one? anyway, if I were to buy one cd, should i get just an album or the gold double cd compilation? looks pretty extensive. Any particularly great songs on the welcome album that are missing on the gold compilation?

Jul 28, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 9
Having a quick look at the gold compilation I'd say it's very good. It has all the songs off carry on up the charts and then some of the gems off later albums like Liar's bar, rotterdam and perfect 10. I do like welcome and strangely like "I love you (but you're boring)" for its weirdness. Probably if I was going for it myself I'd get the gold compilation as it looks to have most of the singles and alot of cracking songs off the albums.

Jul 28, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 9
Love this band…

Welcome to the…

Blue Is The Color

…and if you can't get enough:

0898 Beautiful South

Btw: The sequel to "I Love You (But You're Boring)" is "I Hate You (But You're Interesting)".

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #7 of 9
I'd say their best effort is 0898 (which incidentally has one of my all-time favorite cover art). The lyrics on this album strike a precarious balance between insightful witticism and barbed cynicism: aware of life's imperfections yet remaining optimistic. And of course Briana Corrigan's voice needs no recommendation. After the departure of Corrigan, the band's writings seem to me more world-weary, defeatist, and poisonous.

The reason that Solid Bronze is not rated highly is, quite simply, because Carry On Up The Charts is a better pile, especially if you can get the limited 2-CD version.

Jul 29, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So would you say getting those 3 i'm better off than getting the gold compilation?

A tough choice getting all three would be good, but the gold compilation has a lot of the good songs off those albums and then some of the good new stuff. Probably as a first choice I'd go with the gold compilation and see which songs grab you and try the corresponding albums they come from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back