The Beats Pro are rather good (a Beats Pro Review)
Jul 13, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #32 of 42
Maybe you could try the HFI 580 with the E11. If thr cable is too long you can braid it or the dj1 is the same headphone with a coiled cable.

The hfi580 has more bass than the 780

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #33 of 42
The HDJ 2000's price due to it's being significantly more balanced sounding than all of its other DJ headphone rivals, despite the obvious midbass boost and slight treble roll-off. There's also a mod floating around somewhere that lessens sub bass roll-off.

It's more priced for a simple warm-yet-balanced sound that doesn't fatigue too much and great build quality that puts it on par with VMODA. Though with the bass YMMV, it might sound very flat if you're coming from.

On the note of VMODA M80s, take a look at the V80. Last check, they were a clean $20 cheaper despite being the exact same headphone in everything except color and marketing.

Jul 16, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #34 of 42
Quote:
Maybe you could try the HFI 580 with the E11. If thr cable is too long you can braid it or the dj1 is the same headphone with a coiled cable.
The hfi580 has more bass than the 780

Thanks for the suggestion.  Looks like the 580's are even a bit cheaper too:

$122.17, 4.5 stars, 32 reviews, Ultrasone HFI-580 S-Logic Surround Sound Professional
$153.15, 4.4 stars, 49 reviews, Ultrasone HFI-780
ir
S-Logic Surround Sound Professional

The DJ1, and DJ1 Pro however are more expensive than both of the above, so all else being equal, I'd not get them.

Quote:
The HDJ 2000's price due to it's being significantly more balanced sounding than all of its other DJ headphone rivals, despite the obvious midbass boost and slight treble roll-off. There's also a mod floating around somewhere that lessens sub bass roll-off.

It's more priced for a simple warm-yet-balanced sound that doesn't fatigue too much and great build quality that puts it on par with VMODA. Though with the bass YMMV, it might sound very flat if you're coming from.

On the note of VMODA M80s, take a look at the V80. Last check, they were a clean $20 cheaper despite being the exact same headphone in everything except color and marketing.

Thanks for the info on the HDJ-2000.  It does seem I'd really like their sound based on your description, but for that kind of money, I'd want to hear them first.  Do you know of any retailers (such as Best Buy, etc) that would stock them?

I am a little concerned that the M-80s are "on ear" rather than "over ear".  I'm thinking that would make them less comfortable.  And I am not overly concerned with the way they look, but I have to say, I think I'd be even more embarrassed to be seen with "True Blood" on my headphones than "Dr. Dre" (and I even like the show).  LOL

$179.00, 4.8 stars, 23 reviews, V-MODA for True Blood V-80 On-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal
$199.00, 4.6 stars, 58 reviews, V-MODA Crossfade M-80
ir
On-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal

I don't know anything about the reputation of the site... but if this is real, it appears I can get new Beats Pro for $199:

$199.99, 4.0 starts, 201 reviews Beats Pro (stars and reviews from Amazon, price from JazBuy.
$185.99 for Beats Pro Refurbished.

Hmmmmmmmm.

Jul 16, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #35 of 42
I listened to the HDJ series a long time ago, I can't really remember their sound. But seeing as Pioneer is a known brand in the DJ world, most music stores with DJ equipment carry them.

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #38 of 42
i tried a beats pro before and it was paired with a modded XO2 and replaced all caps with Panasonic Caps (sound is like O2-ish sound compared to bassy stock XO2) and they sounded great. and also you feel that youre actually inside a huge club when you play club-like music :)

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

I don't know anything about the reputation of the site... but if this is real, it appears I can get new Beats Pro for $199:

$199.99, 4.0 starts, 201 reviews Beats Pro (stars and reviews from Amazon, price from JazBuy.
$185.99 for Beats Pro Refurbished.

Hmmmmmmmm.

I wouldn't trust that site considering how common fakes are. Your safest bet for getting a genuine one is probably through Monster themselves, especially on refurbs.

I'm also pretty sure that once in a while, the Pro 900 dips below $300. Not having heard it, I can't tell you what to expect.

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #41 of 42
Quote:
Are the Pro's worth it for around 150? I have the opportunity to buy them and I was wondering if I was better off spending my money elsewhere. I mainly listen to rap, jazz, and rock.

For sure, I'd say they're a good deal for that.  Depends on whether or not you can put up with the comfort, I found them pretty uncomfortable for the few minutes I used them...

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #42 of 42
I just ordered: M-Audio Q40

Reviews: http://www.head-fi.org/products/m-audio-studiophile-q40-closed-back-dynamic-headphones/reviews

They have not arrived yet, so I can't say with any certainty they are better than Beats Pro, but I have a feeling they are quite a bit better, and cheaper (even than your $150 deal).

Here is where I got them: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=529902&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I also got these for extra comfort: http://www.daleproaudio.com/p-10322-beyerdynamic-edt-770-vb-replacement-ear-pads-pair-velour-black.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back