The Beatles - Mono vs Stereo
Jul 5, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #16 of 44
The mono versions for me sounded weird coming out of headphones as I felt that all the sound was just coming from the middle. The stereo versions for me was easier to listen to. I wasn't too irritated with the panning. But I think its better to use speakers when listening to mono
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #17 of 44
I have heard the story that George Harrison said that the mono mixes were the only true mixes that the band and George Martin did together - the stereo ones were usually doen as a gimmecky afterthought by a studio technician - Harrison said the stereo mixes were all wrong to him.

Jul 5, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #18 of 44
Mono 100%

I am too curious about the boxsets, if they do Stereo right! Than maybe I will try it. But I would put my money on Mono. Especially balanced headphones it would be annoying with the panning. Makes me rethink some of my Pink Floyd albums also.

Jul 6, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #19 of 44
It really depends on if there is hard-panning involved and what system you're using.

Headphones- Mono. I hate hard-panned instruments with headphones.

Speakers- Stereo. The natural crossfeed can sound very nice and isn't distracting to me.

Though if you ask my Dad, he'd prefer mono all the way. He first heard the Beatles on a car stereo with a single speaker in the middle of the dash.

Jul 6, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate drums panned left and vocals right and vice versa, that's not a good way of listening to music and can cause a headache..........

Haha I know exactly what you mean. I guess because stereo was new they were trying to impress people.

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #24 of 44
It's Official! The Beatles Remasters Thread (part 8) - Page 29 - SH Forums

I got this version and its ok for me with crossfeed.

Now I wonder if the new remasters will still have the hard panned sound or if they will have a new sound to them since there is a mono version for the purists...

why not master a new sounding stereo mix? That would be very interesting indeed

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why not master a new sounding stereo mix? That would be very interesting indeed

It was my understanding that that is what they did do. Have you heard otherwise?

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #27 of 44
mono sounds funny because that's how they recorded back then and we are aren't used to it.

Jul 10, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #28 of 44
Should I order both sets? Id like to hear both but only 10k monos are being made it is limited, makes me nervous and think I should order both

Users who are viewing this thread

Back