The Beatles are rubbish
Mar 10, 2006 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

sniks7

100+ Head-Fier
An inflamatory eye-catching title, when what I actually mean is that the severe left-right mixing on some of their tracks becomes a bit awkward with headphones.

Has anyone else found this?

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 58
Yes, but it's generally true of 60s (and 70s for that matter) music. Use an amp with crossfeed or use speakers.

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 58
I always preferred the Stones
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #5 of 58
Kind of caught me off guard the first time I listened using headphones. Granted, I knew that it would be like that, but it was still odd. I think the first song I listened to was Eleanor Rigby, which I honestly just don't like listening to on headphones, it's a bit extreme as far as the mixing goes. Though I am thinking of picking up a Corda Cross-1... hmm.
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 58
I can take the phones (they're stax portable) off the headband and stick both of them in one ear which would give me mono.

Which is the best ear the left or right? And is there any danger of the phones coming out the other ear?

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 58
Hmmm.. the trouble with not listening on headphones is that I only have vinyl running to my speakers, and only one beatles album, a Let it Be unplugged sort of thing (which sounds great).

My digital source is an iPod. I'll just have to get used to twitching my head if I want to listen to beatles, I suppose.

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #9 of 58
you need crossfeed. i never listen to the beatles on my portable rig. i did for a bit when i was borrowing a supermacro, the xinfeed worked on it just fine.

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #11 of 58
The early sides that were issued in Duophonic (everything left or right) are also available in Mono.

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #12 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by sniks7
Hmmm.. the trouble with not listening on headphones is that I only have vinyl running to my speakers, and only one beatles album, a Let it Be unplugged sort of thing (which sounds great).

My digital source is an iPod. I'll just have to get used to twitching my head if I want to listen to beatles, I suppose.

I have to ask, what album is this you speak of and where did you find it?

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #14 of 58
I notice it in my car (two speaker system) with a lot of "classic rock" era music too. Beatles in particular are a good example as are some ELO tracks. I really noticed it when one of my speaker connections was failing intermittedly and I was listening to music I know well and couldn't figure out where the missing intrustments went!

My mom has all our Beatles vinyl, would be interesting to see what verions she bought when they were new.

I love the Beatles once they got on the drugs
icon10.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #15 of 58
It's a fairly recent pressing of Let it Be (did the original have lots of stings in and stuff?) on heavy vinyl with another 45rpm of some sort (I think it's an interview).

I'm not at home at the moment, so I can't get the album out, but it's just the four of them playing the music, without a whole load of instumentation..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back