The Battle Of The Flagships 2022 by Ear Fidelity
May 8, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #46 of 95
For me, the R9 is just a true fun provider. Its bass is just huge, the overall sound is very clear and forward sounding. When I'm listening to something like Black Sabbath, Post Malone or basically any modern music, I have so much fun that it's kinda intoxicating.

My girlfriend stole the R9 yesterday for like 3 hours, she was laying down with the R9 + Bluemini R2r plugged into and she said that she had that revelation when "you want to listen to every song you know again". If that's not great, I don't know what is :D
It does sound very good! Hard to find a closed back with the "full package". I love the bass of my Cascades. I love the detail and imaging of my LSA HP-2's. The Elegia's are a nice compromise, but not Great at one thing. The T60 Argons are my least favourite closed backs.

How would you rank the R9's using the criteria from your big comparo?

May 8, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #47 of 95
It does sound very good! Hard to find a closed back with the "full package". I love the bass of my Cascades. I love the detail and imaging of my LSA HP-2's. The Elegia's are a nice compromise, but not Great at one thing. The T60 Argons are my least favourite closed backs.

How would you rank the R9's using the criteria from your big comparo?
Hmm, hard to say actually, this is by no means a flagship and overall the quality is not there when compared with the 1000se and the Susvara for example, as it should be actually.

However, having in mind how bassy they are, and the dynamics and slam are both epic, it's still a detailed pair with great soundstage, especially for a closed-back. I think it would have scored better than the un-modded 8xx, but mainly due to the fun character of the R9. Don't think it would make a great all-rounder, as they are simply really extreme and heavy sounding, but if you like to headbang while listening to music, this is it :D

Definitely recommended, I'm really, really enjoying them. When my girlfriend stole them yesterday for few hours I actually couldnt wait for her to finish, having the Sus, Elite, 1000se, D8000 Pro etc at my hands reach. It's not better than any of them, but to provide fun...it might be.

May 8, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #48 of 95
Hmm, hard to say actually, this is by no means a flagship and overall the quality is not there when compared with the 1000se and the Susvara for example, as it should be actually.

However, having in mind how bassy they are, and the dynamics and slam are both epic, it's still a detailed pair with great soundstage, especially for a closed-back. I think it would have scored better than the un-modded 8xx, but mainly due to the fun character of the R9. Don't think it would make a great all-rounder, as they are simply really extreme and heavy sounding, but if you like to headbang while listening to music, this is it :D

Definitely recommended, I'm really, really enjoying them. When my girlfriend stole them yesterday for few hours I actually couldnt wait for her to finish, having the Sus, Elite, 1000se, D8000 Pro etc at my hands reach. It's not better than any of them, but to provide fun...it might be.
I meant all-rounder for a closed back. IMO, closed backs just can't come close to open backs. I would like a closed back with decent isolation, great bass, great mids and very good detail. To me, that would be the only closed back that I needed.

May 8, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #49 of 95
My closed back isn't an all rounder like hd800S, th900 is amazing but a V shape and closed is a loose term for poor isolation in both directions. Is there a closed back HP that is an all rounder, not that im looking

May 8, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #51 of 95
Sadly, the R9 doesn't isolate all that much. It doesn't leak the sound too much, but to say that it isolates you from the surroundings would be an overstatement :p
I was just thinking about in my lazy boy (keep the TV out) or a cubicle at work (don't bother my neighbours). I wouldn't be wearing them on a bus, train or plane.
Isolation would be last on my list.
What I am hunting for is:
1A) Mids 1B) Bass 1C) Detail

I would have to buy them blind where I live. Just saw an open box on HiFiman the other day for $449.00. It got me thinking... :wink:

May 8, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #52 of 95
I was just thinking about in my lazy boy (keep the TV out) or a cubicle at work (don't bother my neighbours). I wouldn't be wearing them on a bus, train or plane.
Isolation would be last on my list.
What I am hunting for is:
1A) Mids 1B) Bass 1C) Detail

I would have to buy them blind where I live. Just saw an open box on HiFiman the other day for $449.00. It got me thinking... :wink:

As far as you'll be able to return them, Id say go for it, I enjoy them very very much

May 8, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #53 of 95
Many thanks for this great report!
I agree with your results. It's a pitty HEDD is so heavy. Even I liked the sound very much, weight was the reason not to buy it.
Susvara was second best after X9000 this year.
And many thanks for these words: " But PLEASE - make this thread polite and cultural. We all have different opinions, we might not agree with each other, but this is the beauty of it. Respect others opinion and just have fun! " I just come from another forum, where this attidude doesn't work at all.

May 8, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #54 of 95
Many thanks for this great report!
I agree with your results. It's a pitty HEDD is so heavy. Even I liked the sound very much, weight was the reason not to buy it.
Susvara was second best after X9000 this year.
And many thanks for these words: " But PLEASE - make this thread polite and cultural. We all have different opinions, we might not agree with each other, but this is the beauty of it. Respect others opinion and just have fun! " I just come from another forum, where this attidude doesn't work at all.
Thank you for comenting bud! :)

Yeah, I hope that this topic will remind friendly and that we're all gonna respect each others opinions, that's most important :)

May 8, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #55 of 95
Nice job, and I very much like that you tried to stay balanced and fair with some fairly insistent posters.

I listen to a lot of what you used as references. But I listen to more - small ensemble jazz mastered by Doug Sax, classical from solos to gigantic symphonies on direct-to-disc or shaded dog, and remastered progressive by Steve Wilson. You might like some of it. I'd be happy to give more detail if you are interested. If not fine - you hit the nail well on the 5 cans I know.

May 8, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #56 of 95
Nice job, and I very much like that you tried to stay balanced and fair with some fairly insistent posters.

I listen to a lot of what you used as references. But I listen to more - small ensemble jazz mastered by Doug Sax, classical from solos to gigantic symphonies on direct-to-disc or shaded dog, and remastered progressive by Steve Wilson. You might like some of it. I'd be happy to give more detail if you are interested. If not fine - you hit the nail well on the 5 cans I know.
Thank you very much for your kind words! :L3000:

I'm ALWAYS interested in some good music, count me in!

May 8, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #57 of 95
Thank you very much for your kind words! :L3000:

I'm ALWAYS interested in some good music, count me in!
OK next day or two. I'll try a smattering on PM.

May 9, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #59 of 95
That's why I like Roon. You get really good recommandations for new music there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back