The Basshead Club
Sep 28, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #2,836 of 11,286
Quote:
Well Beats Studios for example measures ~10dB bass boost but the quality is so bad it sounds bassier due to heavy resonances (which results in boominess, one-note bass), the XB500 measures with like 15dB boost from 15 - 300Hz range (still the bassiest measured headphone I've seen) but bass quality is a bit better though so doesn't sound as bad.

To support what you are saying, I also recall you mentioning the TH900 having +9 bass boost yet not sounding bass heavy since the bass is so well presented and incorporate into the rest of the range, making them one of the best sounding headphones available.

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #2,837 of 11,286
Quote:
Well Beats Studios for example measures ~10dB bass boost but the quality is so bad it sounds bassier due to heavy resonances (which results in boominess, one-note bass), the XB500 measures with like 15dB boost from 15 - 300Hz range (still the bassiest measured headphone I've seen) but bass quality is a bit better though so doesn't sound as bad.

I'm talking about the 1000 here not the 500, the 700 I have now is really the best for Dub Step imo, it's got around +17 for 1-30 hertz I think then it's on par with the 500... until about the 400hz then it drops terriably... but for that magical first 400 or so hrz Dub Step is magical, + when you mod it [removes 70% of the Resonance] the bass get's alot deeper end everythign elese smooths out, so in theory the Xb1000 is presented like the 700 but with improvements, yea the Mids r still gonna be not that great, but the Mid bass is improved and the SUb bass still eats ur brains, and the Highs r still rather recessed seeing as its a VERY dark can

So, just different bass, I rather like it... but my e6 died today so >.> I'll ahve to w8 3 days for my cMoy then I can love it even more <3

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #2,839 of 11,286
Quote:
RPG I think that the Beyer Custom One Pros have a measured 20db Bass Boost

I don't think so personally, the text & illustration doesn't make sense but also there it shows the bass rolls-off already at 150Hz though (and 100Hz at level 3) so it's very subbass focused response, one that goes all the way past 200Hz without rolling also adds to bass quantity than sheer boosted amplitude of the bass. I will wait for measured FR measurements though but I have a strong feeling the bassiest setting will also be aprox 15dB on COP. 

What I mean is that a headphone that has an even 13dB boost through 20 - 200Hz+ for example probably sounds bassier than that of a 20 - 150Hz 15dB or so, the frequencies at which the bass rolls off at both ends is also obviously important when speaking of bass quantity.

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #2,840 of 11,286
Quote:
Ok, which phone has more bass, the XB1000 or the V-Moda Crossfade LP?

For sheer quantity, the Crossfade LP/LP2 will trump the XB1000. The latter are very focused on bass quality and its sub-bass presentation is very prominent. The Crossfades are very mid-bass heavy and sounds like you're getting a wall of bass on bass heavy tracks.

On a side note, the V55 sounds really nice, and so does the Panasonic HTF600. Glad I decided to get them both. Good basshead cans that don't require you to break the bank. :)

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #2,841 of 11,286
Quote:

For sheer quantity, the Crossfade LP/LP2 will trump the XB1000. The latter are very focused on bass quality and its sub-bass presentation is very prominent. The Crossfades are very mid-bass heavy and sounds like you're getting a wall of bass on bass heavy tracks.

On a side note, the V55 sounds really nice, and so does the Panasonic HTF600. Glad I decided to get them both. Good basshead cans that don't require you to break the bank. :)

Yeap, most cans do that when compared to the XB 1000, they are very Sub Focused, and I'd like to see if they extended the mid bass for the xb1000 a little! Granted it doesn't need to be Sub Bass R@P3 lvls but better than the 700 I hope... 

And of course there's always the option of EQ IT, which is why when I get the xb1000 a Cowon is going to be my new EDM DAP >.> 

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #2,842 of 11,286
Quote:
Yeap, most cans do that when compared to the XB 1000, they are very Sub Focused, and I'd like to see if they extended the mid bass for the xb1000 a little! Granted it doesn't need to be Sub Bass R@P3 lvls but better than the 700 I hope... 

And of course there's always the option of EQ IT, which is why when I get the xb1000 a Cowon is going to be my new EDM DAP >.> 

XB700 has like the strongest subbass response that exists, even more so than XB1000.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #2,844 of 11,286
Quote:

XB700 has like the strongest subbass response that exists, even more so than XB1000.

Yea that's true, they say the 1000 is close to the 700 but much cleaner, the 700 bleeds a little bit sadly
Quote:
For me, the price that must be paid in the overall SQ isn't worth the sub bass.

That's you <3, but yea... one trick pony. If you love the trick YAY if you don't then well you don't buy... Looked at priceson the HE-500 [something I really want <3] $700... I might have to get em used! 

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #2,845 of 11,286
Quote:

Thanks Malevolent, once again you have come through, I don't know if you guys remember but I have always wanted the entire line of the 1st Gen. XB series. Unfortunately, things have gone sideways for me financially and now I can't even get a pack of gum, let alone headphones. I'm basically making a list of the headphones that I really really want including the 1st Gen. XB series, the Crossfade and the holy grail of basshead headphones, the PRO700MKII.

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #2,846 of 11,286
Quote:
Thanks Malevolent, once again you have come through, I don't know if you guys remember but I have always wanted the entire line of the 1st Gen. XB series. Unfortunately, things have gone sideways for me financially and now I can't even get a pack of gum, let alone headphones. I'm basically making a list of the headphones that I really really want including the 1st Gen. XB series, the Crossfade and the holy grail of basshead headphones, the PRO700MKII.

Never heard of the PRO700MKII, although u forgot the ATH part so that might be why, and get the XB series last... they really aren't that great... as much as I love my xb700 [cost me $80] I got the dt 880 instead of the xb1000 because like u my funds are lacking. The XB series is a one trick pony and unless you love that trick to DEATH [Likes I do] they r not worth getting really,  but of course I've got enough Mula for a car and a cell phone so a job is in my immediate future! And said job will allow me to buy'th the foolishly $270 Xb1000.... that is of crouse what I'm getting b4 I save up $1000 to buy a Hifiman HE-500 Can+amp+DAP combo...

And I'm sure when that pair of cans hits my door step from there I'll the cheaper EDM cans, because in all Honesty the Azude LC2 and he HE-500 [The Denon 7k also] are the EDM kings... there is little argument there so don't  try to debate that point... the ISSUE is that those kings are REALLY EXPENSIVE... which is why we all have our own opinions on every other can that cost UNDER $700+ dollars e.e

But once I've listened to a "clean" can [dt880] an over exagerated bleedy can [xb700] and the OMG EPIC can [He-500] then I feel I can judge all other cans without sounding like an idiot <3

This next graph has the Freq Response of those two along with the Dt 880 [which I'm getting soon] the simmilarities give me hope that the dt 880 [with a cMoy BB 2.03 2x9V] will due well with EDM/ the Pro 900 is also in the next chart and you can see it's predominatly V-Shaped FrQ has some rolling off, where as the other 3 have MUCH less [hence is why I don't plan to get them]

My ultimate goal though is to get away from Cans with wave v shaped FrQ and get closer to thatof the He-500 and the LCD-2[which I hear is Rather Dark Comapred to the HE 500 <3]

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #2,847 of 11,286
Hmmm interesting discussion. I've now narrowed my short list to;

TMA-1, M80, LP2 and Sennheiser Momentum. These are the only ones I can find that seem to tick all of the boxes - decent SQ, easy to drive, in line mic/remote and not too ugly.

I tried the TMA-1 in my local Apple store and the SQ was dire. Lots of upper/mid bass, not much in the deep bass, mids and highs. I am guessing that this was due to the setup in there (the cable connecting to them wasn't the headphone cable) and that the store was rammed and noisy (thanks to the iPhone 5!). I also tried the Amperior and they sounded worse. The others do not seem to be around to try so I might try to do multiple purchase and return (with the relevant stores knowledge of my intent).

Given that I like the general SQ of the Klipsch S4 iem, anyone have any further thoughts (particularly on the LP2 and Momentum which I rather like the look of). I have seen a few reviews of the Momentum which say that isn't particularly bass heavy and reviews of the LP2 seem to be in short supply full stop.

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #2,848 of 11,286
Quote:
Hmmm interesting discussion. I've now narrowed my short list to;
TMA-1, M80, LP2 and Sennheiser Momentum. These are the only ones I can find that seem to tick all of the boxes - decent SQ, easy to drive, in line mic/remote and not too ugly.
I tried the TMA-1 in my local Apple store and the SQ was dire. Lots of upper/mid bass, not much in the deep bass, mids and highs. I am guessing that this was due to the setup in there (the cable connecting to them wasn't the headphone cable) and that the store was rammed and noisy (thanks to the iPhone 5!). I also tried the Amperior and they sounded worse. The others do not seem to be around to try so I might try to do multiple purchase and return (with the relevant stores knowledge of my intent).
Given that I like the general SQ of the Klipsch S4 iem, anyone have any further thoughts (particularly on the LP2 and Momentum which I rather like the look of). I have seen a few reviews of the Momentum which say that isn't particularly bass heavy and reviews of the LP2 seem to be in short supply full stop.

Are you talking purely about IEMs? 

Sep 28, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #2,849 of 11,286
Are you talking purely about IEMs? 

Nope, just asking, given I like the sound signature of the Kilpsch S4 IEM, (extended bass, smooth but detailed mids and highs) what anyone thought of the short list of headphones, perhaps I should have given more info:

Aiaiai TMA-1 circum aural
V-Moda M80 supra aural
V-Moda LP2 circum aural
Sennheiser Momentum circum aural

BTW is it circumaural or circumnaural?

Sep 28, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #2,850 of 11,286
Quote:
Nope, just asking, given I like the sound signature of the Kilpsch S4 IEM, (extended bass, smooth but detailed mids and highs) what anyone thought of the short list of headphones, perhaps I should have given more info:
Aiaiai TMA-1 circum aural
V-Moda M80 supra aural
V-Moda LP2 circum aural
Sennheiser Momentum circum aural
BTW is it circumaural or circumnaural?

Circumaural.  Glad you asked.  At least you don't spell bass as base. 

I own the S4 and have tried the first two on your list.  To me, the TMA-1 is dark compared to the S4 to the point of veiled.  Much of the high end just isn't there.  I think the M-80 has a superior sound to the S4, especially in the mid range- much smoother vocals.  From what I have read, the LP2 is a bassmonster that is also dark.  Momentum is one I would like to hear and I would suggest checking out that thread for more detail.  From what you describe, you may like the M-80.  V-Moda offers a 60 day return if you don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back