The Basshead Club
Sep 4, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #2,687 of 11,286
Gotta ask you guys - do ANY IEM's really have bass to compare to XB500's for example?  I'd love to have a pair of good IEM's for running but ONLY if they thump and can't see how?/?/ 

Help me understand fellow bassheaders................

Sep 4, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #2,688 of 11,286
Quote:
I bet you guys are beginning to dread when I post lol but I do have a basshead question. Are the Shure SRH750DJ Headphones considered basshead phones, if they are how do they stack up against the HFI580 and the PRO700MK2?

The FR graphs says they're not that bassy. I'll go and audition them later when I become free.

Sep 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #2,691 of 11,286
Quote:
Velodyne VPulse supposedly has fantastic bass.

Yes more impact than the MG7 and actually a larger sound stage.  I just don't like using it for the weight room as the silicone ear piece seem to fall out from my sweat.  

I just ordered the Q-40's.  I want to get the same bass I have heard in the MG7 in a large can.  

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #2,692 of 11,286
Quote:
Gotta ask you guys - do ANY IEM's really have bass to compare to XB500's for example?  I'd love to have a pair of good IEM's for running but ONLY if they thump and can't see how?/?/ 

Help me understand fellow bassheaders................

[size=10pt]I might get some Atrios someday... especially now that you can get the custom ear molds, but that's still a lot of money for me to blow on IEMs. My NuForse NE-7M can certainly pump out the bass. I would say it's more bassy than my Sennheiser HD 570s, and less bassy than my Sony XB500s. But the frequency response is better than the XB500s. I just did a back-to-back test and the XB500s definitely have a bassier sound, but I can hear more detail and depth from the NE-7M IEMs. I also verified this by playing a 20Hz sine wave, and I could clearly hear it in the IEMs, but with the Sony it was harder to actually "hear" it. But bumping up to 25Hz it was easy to hear the wave in both but still took less volume to hear it in the IEMs.

I said all that to say, the Atrios are supposedly king of the hill for sub-bass. So they in theory should blow away my NuForce ones... which already beat the XB500s for the really low stuff. 
[/size]
[size=10pt]This reviewer http://anythingbutipod.com/2007/06/future-sonics-atrio-m5-m8-review/ said that the sub bass was so amazing that it blurred his vision.

I can't speak for them personally, but my guess would be they would rival just about any headphones in the deep bass department, but they probably have a more balanced sound (less bass-heavy) than say the XB500s which are specifically designed to be bass-heavy.
[/size]

Sep 5, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #2,694 of 11,286
Quote:
The MG7s have a really nice subbass but not a lot of midbass and a really tiny soundstage. 

Does any1 know of an IEM with huge both subbass & midbass, typically I see IEMs being subbass heavy but often lack midbass so they don't compare to headphones such as XB500 impactwise (they always hit softer in the attack of the bass).  Well the only IEM I know of which I got myself too is the Koss Sparkplugs which has really fantastic bass for an IEM but the rest isn't very nice though, quite muddy sounding but hey these cost like $15 or something lol and I still find it very enjoyable though as I'm not a fan of bright sound with an IEM, I actually seem to enjoy this rather severely rolled off highrange.

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #2,695 of 11,286
Quote:
I bet you guys are beginning to dread when I post lol but I do have a basshead question. Are the Shure SRH750DJ Headphones considered basshead phones, if they are how do they stack up against the HFI580 and the PRO700MK2?

The Shure SRH750 are tame basshead cans. They are bassy if you compare them with say, an Audio-Technica M50. But they are pretty much entry level basshead cans as far as excitement goes. The HFI 580 and PRO700MK2 both punch harder than the Shure cans, have better mid-bass and sub-bass levels and are cleaner in its overall sound presentation. The SRH750DJ is in between the Ultrasone and AT cans as far as tonality goes - the PRO700MK2 is dark, and the HFI 580 is the brightest of the lot.

Still, all 3 cans fare well with amping, and the Shures do sound a lot better with a bass boost amp, or with a good DAP EQ (like on the Cowon players).

If you're deciding between the 3, just get the HFI 580 or PRO700MK2. They won't disappoint; the Shure might.

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #2,696 of 11,286
Quote:

Does any1 know of an IEM with huge both subbass & midbass, typically I see IEMs being subbass heavy but often lack midbass so they don't compare to headphones such as XB500 impactwise (they always hit softer in the attack of the bass).  Well the only IEM I know of which I got myself too is the Koss Sparkplugs which has really fantastic bass for an IEM but the rest isn't very nice though, quite muddy sounding but hey these cost like $15 or something lol and I still find it very enjoyable though as I'm not a fan of bright sound with an IEM, I actually seem to enjoy this rather severely rolled off highrange.

I keep going back to my B&W C5 for basshead-level bass.

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #2,697 of 11,286
Quote:

The Shure SRH750 are tame basshead cans. They are bassy if you compare them with say, an Audio-Technica M50. But they are pretty much entry level basshead cans as far as excitement goes. The HFI 580 and PRO700MK2 both punch harder than the Shure cans, have better mid-bass and sub-bass levels and are cleaner in its overall sound presentation. The SRH750DJ is in between the Ultrasone and AT cans as far as tonality goes - the PRO700MK2 is dark, and the HFI 580 is the brightest of the lot.

Still, all 3 cans fare well with amping, and the Shures do sound a lot better with a bass boost amp, or with a good DAP EQ (like on the Cowon players).

If you're deciding between the 3, just get the HFI 580 or PRO700MK2. They won't disappoint; the Shure might.

Thank you Malevolent and everyone else who posted about these Shure's, I will just plan on not getting anything else other than the 58 and 700MK2. When the time comes and I can't get both, I will probably get the AT because I like a dark headphone.

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #2,698 of 11,286
Quote:

Have you guys been introduced to the JVC FX101 and the Philips SHE3580

The SHE3580 gets good rep as a cheap bassy IEM with good detail
http://www.head-fi.org/t/561951/philips-she3580-iem-review-10-giant-killers-er-4p-gathering-dust
but measurements indicate these can easily be basshead levels, peaking at the bottom of the scale

But I auditioned the JVC FX101 and its bass is ridiculous even next to the SHE3580!  I'd say it has just as much subbass but more midbass.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 5, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #2,699 of 11,286
That FR graph doesn't look great at all about as far away from my preferred sound signature as it gets, do the JVCs at least have less V-shape sound? I don't like V-shape sound especially in IEMs, how do HAFX1X compare to X101? I have a feeling the muddier X1X (which I interpret as less highs? => to me a good thing) would be more to my liking in an IEM sound.

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #2,700 of 11,286
Quote:

The ATH-CKS77 does quite a good job. Nice soundstage in addition to the impactful lows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back