The Basshead Club
Aug 30, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #2,641 of 11,286
Quote:
The LP2 is just as dark as the TMA-1, with a recessed treble range that masks all of the sparkle in the song. The LP2 is bassier in quantity than the TMA-1, though. The wall of bass effect is quite prevalent on the V-MODA cans.

Bit of a noob to audio phile lingo, but can you describe what you mean by wall of bass?  I'm imagining a DB drag racing event.  I don't think that is what you actually mean.

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #2,642 of 11,286
Quote:
Be wild get both :p

[size=10pt]If I was made of money, I think I'd get M-Audio Q40, Ultrasone Pro 900, and why not... Fostex TH900. But since I'm only getting one, the Q40 seems to be the closest to what I want... in theory... but it's so hard to know for sure without listening. Certainly nothing wrong with the HFI-580s, but I suspect that the highs will be a little much for me on pretty much all the Ultrasones. And yeah, I know the Pro 900 would be much worse than the HFI-580s for sibilant treble, but I still have that strong curiosity to experience what so many people say about the bass response on them... plus I think they are the most attractive of all the cans I have considered thus far... and I like they have a case... and they are comfortable... its just that darn treble that ruled them out for me. But yeah, I could get Q40 and HFI-580 for not much more than a pair of Pro 900s.[/size]

Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/624718/bassheads-rejoice-again-sony-updates-extra-bass-headphones

A new challenger appears

XB series finally look better now.

Ohs Noes!!! Just when I'm about to pull the trigger... those look nice.  But it will probably be months before they are out in the USA.  So I probably shouldn't wait.  One thing that seems odd is that the different models have different driver sizes, yet they all look exactly alike (except for the colors).  It also seems odd that the largest two 40mm and 50mm drivers appear to sit on the ear and not cover it.  With drivers that large, they could certainly cover the ear.  The Q40 has 40mm and covers the ear.  But like someone above said... maybe if they are soft enough the comfort and isolation could still be there.  But I'm expecting better isolation with Q40.

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #2,644 of 11,286
Quote:
I found some more pics of the new Sonys... from other angles, they are actually pretty odd looking... not bad... but [size=10pt]definitely [/size]odd:

http://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/201208/27/31399.html

Here are the shots of the MDR-XB900 from the above link (they also have shots of the smaller ones):

These are much different looks wise from the original XB series, cushions aren't nearly as thick, makes me wonder what Sony has up their sleeves.

Aug 31, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #2,645 of 11,286
I've decided that I want the entire XB, unfortunately I know I can't get the Xb1000 in America anymore. Amazon still has them for sale new but they are all overseas companies. So that means I would only have the XB300, 500 and 700.

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #2,648 of 11,286
Quote:
I've decided that I want the entire XB, unfortunately I know I can't get the Xb1000 in America anymore. Amazon still has them for sale new but they are all overseas companies. So that means I would only have the XB300, 500 and 700.

What's wrong with ordering through Amazon... does it really matter where they ship from?  What should really matter is the seller rating.

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #2,649 of 11,286
Quote:

What's wrong with ordering through Amazon... does it really matter where they ship from?  What should really matter is the seller rating.

The first first time I ever ordered online was from Amazon, since then I have not ordered from another online retailer. I don't know what all the limitations are on things being shipped in from Japan.

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #2,650 of 11,286
Quote:

[size=10pt]If I was made of money, I think I'd get M-Audio Q40, Ultrasone Pro 900, and why not... Fostex TH900. But since I'm only getting one, the Q40 seems to be the closest to what I want... in theory... but it's so hard to know for sure without listening. Certainly nothing wrong with the HFI-580s, but I suspect that the highs will be a little much for me on pretty much all the Ultrasones. And yeah, I know the Pro 900 would be much worse than the HFI-580s for sibilant treble, but I still have that strong curiosity to experience what so many people say about the bass response on them... plus I think they are the most attractive of all the cans I have considered thus far... and I like they have a case... and they are comfortable... its just that darn treble that ruled them out for me. But yeah, I could get Q40 and HFI-580 for not much more than a pair of Pro 900s.[/size]

Yea I know how the money thing goes, right now things aren't going so well and now I can barely afford a pack of gum. I have noticed some talk about the Q-40s but it always seems like people go back to the Ultrasone series.

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #2,651 of 11,286
Quote:

Bit of a noob to audio phile lingo, but can you describe what you mean by wall of bass?  I'm imagining a DB drag racing event.  I don't think that is what you actually mean.

Wall of bass is when the bass notes just sounds mashed up together. You can't really separate or distinguish the different layers or sounds. Everything is just presented as one huge "wall of bass". This phenomenon is also known as "one note bass". This can be a direct effect of the track itself, or the bass presentation performance of the headphone. The LP/LP2 are huge bass monsters that pump out so much of the low end that they sound muddied.

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #2,652 of 11,286
Quote:

Here are the shots of the MDR-XB900 from the above link (they also have shots of the smaller ones):

Oh, I'm really in love with the XB900s now. I looooveee that SONY logo. :)

Quote:

To be honest, if you're a basshead, the XB500 and XB700 are the 2 best cans in the lot. They aren't as detailed as the XB1000, but they are bassier and fit the "Extra Bass" tag much better than their big brother does.

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #2,653 of 11,286
Quote:

Oh, I'm really in love with the XB900s now. I looooveee that SONY logo. :)

To be honest, if you're a basshead, the XB500 and XB700 are the 2 best cans in the lot. They aren't as detailed as the XB1000, but they are bassier and fit the "Extra Bass" tag much better than their big brother does.

That's interesting, I thought the XB1000 would have uncontrollable bass compared to the other 2 because of the monster 70mm drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back