The Basshead Club
Apr 18, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #11,131 of 11,286

Those are the 900's.....you don't want those. Sony is a company in big financial trouble. The quality of these is unbelievably poor. I never saw brown.

Meanwhile....
A slo-mo bass hit (I just discovered my camera does it...so naturally:D )
I don't know about financial trouble in the USA... Their headphones, now I would NEVER buy any Sony headphones. I've had 3 break on me randomly. First one channel goes, then the other after 4-7 months... And when I felt some of the new xb series, they felt cheap just as Hawaii said... Now the reason I don't think they're in financial trouble... The ps4 is more popular than the Xbox one in the US from what I can tell... Sony must just be lining their pockets and leaving their headphone line alone. They already make so much money off of their 30$ mdr 300 thingy's... Why bother changing them if they are selling well?... No. I don't think they aren't doing well. I think they are doing great in sales.

Apr 18, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #11,132 of 11,286
My thoughts exactly! I don't get Sony's never-ending struggle with proper build quality. I own the Sony Ps3 wireless headset ($100) and they feel are very cheaply built. But i can tolerate that since its a headset and its not that expensive. But then you have the MDR MA900, ($300) and honestly they feel like $100 cans. Another Sony headphone with bad build was the V55. The materials used weren't that bad for a $50 can but the padding was ridiculously cheap.

Apr 18, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #11,135 of 11,286
I don't know about financial trouble in the USA... Their headphones, now I would NEVER buy any Sony headphones. I've had 3 break on me randomly. First one channel goes, then the other after 4-7 months... And when I felt some of the new xb series, they felt cheap just as Hawaii said... Now the reason I don't think they're in financial trouble... The ps4 is more popular than the Xbox one in the US from what I can tell... Sony must just be lining their pockets and leaving their headphone line alone. They already make so much money off of their 30$ mdr 300 thingy's... Why bother changing them if they are selling well?... No. I don't think they aren't doing well. I think they are doing great in sales.

My XB400s are very good for what they cost, the build quality is pretty good...the only thing I don't like is the overall sound quality and driver size. Sony does seem to be hurting...but they made profit last year, and with the PS4 as well as Xperia phone they may be making a come back. It's a shame to see their Vaio line neglected though.

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #11,138 of 11,286
My XB400s are very good for what they cost, the build quality is pretty good...the only thing I don't like is the overall sound quality and driver size. Sony does seem to be hurting...but they made profit last year, and with the PS4 as well as Xperia phone they may be making a come back. It's a shame to see their Vaio line neglected though.
what's vaio? Isn't that a tv or something?... Oh, I think this is a worthy discussion... New Sony XB series vs old Sony XB series. (not counting xb1000. That one doesn't have a buddy from the new xb series like the other ones.)

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #11,139 of 11,286
I always do that^ my bad. It may be hard to find an identical one but an inexpensive purchase of a vintage receiver can prob drive the he-6 well. 
I just picked up this NAD stereo receiver 701 from a vintage stereo store and its making me cell my amp after complaining about the th600 not having enough slam for me.... Oregonian schooled me

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #11,142 of 11,286
Again... Why the apple computers?... I know its probably just because the simple ui appeals to old people or something...

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #11,145 of 11,286

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-06/sony-forecasts-annual-loss-as-hirai-turnaround-stalls-on-tvs.html

Sony lost 1.1 Billion and 5,000 job cuts.
I have students who work at Sony. Cost cutting is priority #1

If you can get an old XB700 or 1000 get it because they will not make a hardened niche' set of cans for quite a while. I found them to be sweaty and un wearable but I might grab them because they have 70mm drivers and will slam. 
My 2 next purchases are #1 another sz as back-up because no way JVC does that again. And a Sony XB1000...they are rare and Japan's financial climate (tech) is making those well made relics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back