The Basshead Club
Dec 20, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #8,461 of 11,286

Overall signature for the Q40s is brighter (i.e. brighter upper-end and mids), the attack on the M-Audio's is also faster (probably perception due to the added air up-top). Mids are a bit more recessed on the N-Pulse's but I felt the bass to be bigger (mid-bass especially but sub-bass was tastefully present as well). I feel the N-Pulse's to be a bit more "ear-friendly" as sometimes the highs on the Q40s can be a bit much on some tracks to me. So basically the Monster's are a bit more laid-back due to their bit of warmness across the whole spectrum. Soundstage is actually quite on par but just like the Q40s on busy passages (especially when listening to metalcore or similar genres) it feels more closed in than usual. Comfort can go either way. I feel the Q40s clamped too much even when "stretching" the headband for a bit but with updated pads it felt better. The Monster's on the other hand don't clamp as much and earpads feel quite good.

So for the price I got both (let's say $120 for the Q40s with Beyer pads and $95 for the N-Pulse) they are a steal for any basshead looking for very good bass, slam and overall sound. I've seen the N-Pulse's go even lower used on eBay (and I don't think there are any fakes yet since these were released not too long ago and I don't think they are as famous as the Beats) and you can even get them cheaper on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B009IKCKMY/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I'd pick the Monsters just because I've been liking "warmer" signatures and find them comfortable and pleasant enough. Being cheaper "used" doesn't hurt either. :wink:

P.S. Impressions based on memory. I no longer have both on hand.

What do you mean by warmer?  i hear that a lot aroujnd here but idk what it means, please ELI5. Ill really try to see if i can try out both, hopefully best buy has a demo out on the floor to test out. im getting excited that im getting closer to my goal finally and i actually feel sure about these choices!

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #8,462 of 11,286
  What do you mean by warmer?  i hear that a lot aroujnd here but idk what it means, please ELI5. Ill really try to see if i can try out both, hopefully best buy has a demo out on the floor to test out. im getting excited that im getting closer to my goal finally and i actually feel sure about these choices!

Here you go:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

Dec 20, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #8,463 of 11,286
Thanks. Sounds like some warm headphones would be something that would suit my needs according to that definition, but even if something is not considered "warm" or anything else, and it still suits my needs it will obviously do.

Also, which would you guys recommend I try out first since I can only afford to try one headphone at a time, the Sony X10, M-Audio Q40, Monster N Pulse, or the Monster Gratitude's? Which do you guys think will likely be best for what I am looking for in this case? Of course I will probably try out more anyways.

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #8,464 of 11,286
Thanks. Sounds like some warm headphones would be something that would suit my needs according to that definition, but even if something is not considered "warm" or anything else, and it still suits my needs it will obviously do.

Also, which would you guys recommend I try out first since I can only afford to try one headphone at a time, the Sony X10, M-Audio Q40, Monster N Pulse, or the Monster Gratitude's? Which do you guys think will likely be best for what I am looking for in this case? Of course I will probably try out more anyways.

UE4000

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #8,465 of 11,286
So im watching a youtube review on the Monster N-Pulse's and this part unsettled me on their bass capabilities which is a massive defeat to themselves. Please watch the linked video, itll take you right to the part i am referring to, but feel free to watch it all if you want to, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGtUKAmZ6J4#t=398

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #8,466 of 11,286
  UE4000

Are those really competent in this and would they honestly meet my needs? Deep, tight bass i can feel or atleast really notice, and clear audio with no muffled sound? I just feel they wouldnt cut it since theyre only $40 on amazon, you get what you pay for and i had to learn the hard way. I spent $40 on Sony MDR ZX300 and they were absolute trash.

EDIT: This review kinda made it not sound very attractive or fitting for what i want. He says they are congested and muffled which is exactly what i dont want. Anyone can watch it, http://www.head-fi.org/products/ultimate-ears-ue4000-headphones/reviews/9061

Dec 21, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #8,467 of 11,286
I really am starting to think that Q40's are for me. I read someone's review (very detailed) on here and it sounds like exactly what I want. I forgot his username but just search M Audio q40 here and you'll find it. He says they have great mids and highs and I assume even better low bass. If a pair of headphones is a beast with bass but overpowers the mids and even possibly the highs and makes it all sound muffled, then it is something I am definitely not interested in. Again, I want deep bass with clear and good mids and highs with no muffled feeling. I think a lot of audiophiles give bad reviews and lower reviews than products like this deserve because they don't like a lot of bass, they want a neutral and very clear sounding experience like if they are right there live with the band, I need bass I love it, especially with the music I listen to: mainly dubstep and hip hop where mid bass and low deep sub bass is used extremely often (dubstep is based off and made around the bassline) but I also demand clear mids and highs. Sorry for longer reply, but yeah lol. I am definatly putting the Q40's in like spot one or two right now with the Sony MDR X10's but I have to listen to them still.

You guys think this makes sense and that the Q40's or X10's are good choices to suit my needs? Thanks!

Dec 21, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #8,468 of 11,286
You guys think this makes sense and that the Q40's or X10's are good choices to suit my needs? Thanks!

Well, I haven't heard the Q40 myself, but I can tell you this - the Q40 has a very good reputation around Head-Fi as it does its best to balance a pronounced bass presentation with relatively clear mids and highs (it doesn't drown the rest of the sound in just sloppy bass).

From reviews and user recommendations alone, I don't think you are going to get much better than the Q40 at its price point. Of course, it helps if you could audition one, but something tells me you won't be disappointed.

Dec 21, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #8,469 of 11,286

Well, I haven't heard the Q40 myself, but I can tell you this - the Q40 has a very good reputation around Head-Fi as it does its best to balance a pronounced bass presentation with relatively clear mids and highs (it doesn't drown the rest of the sound in just sloppy bass).

From reviews and user recommendations alone, I don't think you are going to get much better than the Q40 at its price point. Of course, it helps if you could audition one, but something tells me you won't be disappointed.

Agree completely with what was said here.  It's not just a one trick pony bassy headphone, it literally sounds great all around.  I still use mine a lot in my rotation and if you look at my signature there's a few really good headphones to compete with. 

Dec 21, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #8,470 of 11,286
I know the HE-400's aren't considered basshead cans, but neither are my JVC HADX3 and both can put out very nice levels of bass with good power and EQ-ing. I have my D2000's rigged on the joint and a different driver as well. The HADX3's are cleaner, just as low bass but with less impact..I would say about 3/4 of a D2000 or better. The HE-400's are clear, detailed, fun with more impact and bass presence (without muddying up sound or distorting) than the DX3's but not quite the presence of the D2000, though very close in songs that call for bass, though less in songs that don't. This is off my current setup, Auzen Forte Analogue > Denon AVR-1613 > HE-400's/HADX3's/D2000. I won't lie, I do miss the impact of the D2000's at times, but the more I listen to the HE-400's even in A/B-ing with the good ol' 2000's, the more I really enjoy the 400's and the bass they provide. It surrounds the music, it has some punch and impact, but it never floods everything else. My FiiO E9 and Denon AVR 1613 drive the HE-400's and D2000's amazingly well.

For the $319/shipped I paid for the HE-400's I'm glad I didn't buy another pair of D2000's. To my ears, from my source after my EQ-ing I'm very impressed what this planar magnetic phone is capable of! I'm still going to tear my D2000 down further and more closely inspect the driver.....but really the HADX3 take care of me on sealed, the HE-400's are full open, and with that said the bass they provide imho is amazing. I'm listening to a lot of metal and rock, some In This Moment, FFDP, A7X, SOiL, Anthrax, Pantera, Metallica, etc...it's all amazing! If the D2000's do 9/10's bass, the HE-400's can do 8/10's, but where the D2000's also have a huge impact, I'd say like 8-9/10...I'd give the HE-400's a 6-6.5/10..they don't slam, but they do extend and present very well. Money well spent! Now I just gotta get her and the kids some earplugs for when I crank them up! 

Dec 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #8,471 of 11,286
  I know the HE-400's aren't considered basshead cans, but neither are my JVC HADX3 and both can put out very nice levels of bass with good power and EQ-ing. I have my D2000's rigged on the joint and a different driver as well. The HADX3's are cleaner, just as low bass but with less impact..I would say about 3/4 of a D2000 or better. The HE-400's are clear, detailed, fun with more impact and bass presence (without muddying up sound or distorting) than the DX3's but not quite the presence of the D2000, though very close in songs that call for bass, though less in songs that don't. This is off my current setup, Auzen Forte Analogue > Denon AVR-1613 > HE-400's/HADX3's/D2000. I won't lie, I do miss the impact of the D2000's at times, but the more I listen to the HE-400's even in A/B-ing with the good ol' 2000's, the more I really enjoy the 400's and the bass they provide. It surrounds the music, it has some punch and impact, but it never floods everything else. My FiiO E9 and Denon AVR 1613 drive the HE-400's and D2000's amazingly well.

For the $319/shipped I paid for the HE-400's I'm glad I didn't buy another pair of D2000's. To my ears, from my source after my EQ-ing I'm very impressed what this planar magnetic phone is capable of! I'm still going to tear my D2000 down further and more closely inspect the driver.....but really the HADX3 take care of me on sealed, the HE-400's are full open, and with that said the bass they provide imho is amazing. I'm listening to a lot of metal and rock, some In This Moment, FFDP, A7X, SOiL, Anthrax, Pantera, Metallica, etc...it's all amazing! If the D2000's do 9/10's bass, the HE-400's can do 8/10's, but where the D2000's also have a huge impact, I'd say like 8-9/10...I'd give the HE-400's a 6-6.5/10..they don't slam, but they do extend and present very well. Money well spent! Now I just gotta get her and the kids some earplugs for when I crank them up! 

Thanks for your input and help, but all those cans you recommended are just too far out of my price range, my budget is like $100. Also, by how you described them, i can tell they are really not for me because i dont want a little bit of good bass and super ultra clear mids and highs (like many audiophiles) want. i want a lot of bass that i can feel or at least really hear and that is emphasized, and pretty well clear mids and highs, at least so that the bass doesnt muddy up or bleed into the mids or that there is no muffled sound/feeling. Almost any regular earbuds can provide such an audio experience to me, even Apple Earpods can do it for me, little bass, but pretty well clear mids and highs, in my book at least, probably because i have never really listened to any quality cans or super quality earbuds.

Lastly, I wont be doing much EQing or listening from super high quality sources, ill be lucky to use a portable amp for my ipod touch 4g which will be my audio source (hopefully an iphone 5 or new Android smartphone soon). I walk around and do stuff when i listen to music or i am either at school, im a HS Senior btw. So big EQing wont really be a factor since iPods and most smartphones dont have built in custom EQing features. I cant picture myself at home stuck around to a big desktop amp or home theater with headphones, i will be listening from an ipod or smartphone for now. I also think those cans you listed are good for you because of the music you are listening to, i will be listening to really bass heavy music like dubstep and some hip hop and etc.

Again, thanks for your feedback!

Dec 21, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #8,473 of 11,286
Thanks for your input and help, but all those cans you recommended are just too far out of my price range, my budget is like $100. Also, by how you described them, i can tell they are really not for me because i dont want a little bit of good bass and super ultra clear mids and highs (like many audiophiles) want. i want a lot of bass that i can feel or at least really hear and that is emphasized, and pretty well clear mids and highs, at least so that the bass doesnt muddy up or bleed into the mids or that there is no muffled sound/feeling. Almost any regular earbuds can provide such an audio experience to me, even Apple Earpods can do it for me, little bass, but pretty well clear mids and highs, in my book at least, probably because i have never really listened to any quality cans or super quality earbuds.

Lastly, I wont be doing much EQing or listening from super high quality sources, ill be lucky to use a portable amp for my ipod touch 4g which will be my audio source (hopefully an iphone 5 or new Android smartphone soon). I walk around and do stuff when i listen to music or i am either at school, im a HS Senior btw. So big EQing wont really be a factor since iPods and most smartphones dont have built in custom EQing features. I cant picture myself at home stuck around to a big desktop amp or home theater with headphones, i will be listening from an ipod or smartphone for now. I also think those cans you listed are good for you because of the music you are listening to, i will be listening to really bass heavy music like dubstep and some hip hop and etc.

Again, thanks for your feedback!

Denon d2000's arent like that at all from what i have heard :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back