The Basshead Club
Apr 18, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #11,146 of 11,286
I have a pair of XB1000s(listening to them now actually) and suffice to say I'm never going to sell them, they're just too rare. If you can find a pair of 1000s/700s snap them up and take them to your grave xD.

I've owned the XB700s previously and I can safely say the old XB series is so much better than the new crap. These new ones have shocking build, bad fit and underwhelming sound. It seems like Sony wants to jump on the mainstream bandwagon at the risk of losing its niche(us) audience. That's understandable, as there's more money it it for them.

Regarding the Sony cans debate as a whole, I've owned numerous Sony cans and IEMs, and I have to say we are now facing the end of an era. Not just with the XB series but their lineup as a whole. Build quality seems to be taking a back seat(MDR 1R jack rattle, anyone?) and sound seems to be more mainstream-ized and mediocre. That being said people shouldn't judge Sony on the quality of their current cans, some of the stuff they made before was legendary(V6, MA900, even the fabled Qalia).

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #11,147 of 11,286
I have a pair of XB1000s(listening to them now actually) and suffice to say I'm never going to sell them, they're just too rare. If you can find a pair of 1000s/700s snap them up and take them to your grave xD.

I've owned the XB700s previously and I can safely say the old XB series is so much better than the new crap. These new ones have shocking build, bad fit and underwhelming sound. It seems like Sony wants to jump on the mainstream bandwagon at the risk of losing its niche(us) audience. That's understandable, as there's more money it it for them.

Regarding the Sony cans debate as a whole, I've owned numerous Sony cans and IEMs, and I have to say we are now facing the end of an era. Not just with the XB series but their lineup as a whole. Build quality seems to be taking a back seat(MDR 1R jack rattle, anyone?) and sound seems to be more mainstream-ized and mediocre. That being said people shouldn't judge Sony on the quality of their current cans, some of the stuff they made before was legendary(V6, MA900, even the fabled Qalia).

You missed my point.
SONY is ****ed. They cannot afford niche' or anything else with a risk to reward ratio not greatly in their favor. Build quality is gonna reflect that... it already does.

I don't like the XB1000 because they make my ears sweat very quick and my favorite hit distorts them. But they are made very well have a 70mm driver and I could massage them via eq with time and get those 70mm to stroke. And most of all they are a well built cannon. Like the SZ that is getting rare to come by. Take good care of your cannons. Sony will not make anything as strong for a while/ever  Same goes for JVC and the SZ.

We are both lucky.

The new XB's are unbelievably poor and the JVC cnt over ear plastic crap is just as ****ty. 

Yes...we are lucky!

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #11,149 of 11,286
what's vaio? Isn't that a tv or something?... Oh, I think this is a worthy discussion... New Sony XB series vs old Sony XB series. (not counting xb1000. That one doesn't have a buddy from the new xb series like the other ones.)

Vaio is their computer line, they've negelected to really do anything with it and sold it to another manufacturer.

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #11,151 of 11,286
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-06/sony-forecasts-annual-loss-as-hirai-turnaround-stalls-on-tvs.html

Sony lost 1.1 Billion and 5,000 job cuts.
I have students who work at Sony. Cost cutting is priority #1

If you can get an old XB700 or 1000 get it because they will not make a hardened niche' set of cans for quite a while. I found them to be sweaty and un wearable but I might grab them because they have 70mm drivers and will slam. 
My 2 next purchases are #1 another sz as back-up because no way JVC does that again. And a Sony XB1000...they are rare and Japan's financial climate (tech) is making those well made relics.
I think I'll pick up an sz1000/2000 or xb1000 next year when I have money.

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #11,153 of 11,286
Just the user. He is constantly making comments like that.

Re: Sony, I've had a pair of MDRV6 for almost ten years.. If Sony has poor build quality now days, that is a definite shame.
yep. :D

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #11,154 of 11,286
what's vaio? Isn't that a tv or something?... Oh, I think this is a worthy discussion... New Sony XB series vs old Sony XB series. (not counting xb1000. That one doesn't have a buddy from the new xb series like the other ones.)

I had the new xb. Did not like them. Cable shorted out. Bad muffled bass. Bad audio quality. My $50 JBL hit harder.

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #11,156 of 11,286
I had the new xb. Did not like them. Cable shorted out. Bad muffled bass. Bad audio quality. My $50 JBL hit harder.
don't forget that your cans are still unamped... Like I said, buy an fiio e6, e11, e12, etc. That... Will downright slam you silly.... Oh, and how thick are the xb1000 pillows? (lol. Pillows) they look amazingly comfy...

Apr 19, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #11,157 of 11,286
I'll look into the top of the line jbl synchros for you... Didn't you say you're looking at those as an upgrade? A person I know has them. I'll tell you how well they slam amped and unamped compared to JVC's.

Apr 19, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #11,158 of 11,286
don't forget that your cans are still unamped... Like I said, buy an fiio e6, e11, e12, etc. That... Will downright slam you silly.... Oh, and how thick are the xb1000 pillows? (lol. Pillows) they look amazingly comfy...

Probably get one this summer if I get a job, along with Some New cans. A little off topic, but do you know any places that hire at 15 in the US

Apr 19, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #11,159 of 11,286

This is 2 hours ago:

The XB line is a shell of itself. These have about 4 points where breakage is ready and waiting. Worse built on this row

The XB were the loudest bass on bass row but the most bloated too. no mids or highs. They make my SZ sound like open back audiophile cans.

Apr 19, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #11,160 of 11,286
Probably get one this summer if I get a job, along with Some New cans. A little off topic, but do you know any places that hire at 15 in the US
hmm... I'm 15, and I know of some places. Farms pay minimum wage, and so do some bars hire busboys at 15... Really just gotta ask or do research man... I'm going to work as a busboy at a bar... And probably buy akg k702 65th anniversary editions, jvc sz2000/1000, and/or an mdr-xb1000, Along with an fiio e17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back