The Basshead Club
Oct 2, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #2,896 of 11,286
Quote:
:[ he did, that is why you've been unexplainably depressed this last few months!

Yea that does explain a lot, and rage is only being added to it thanks to me getting a game from a store on Amazon that literally is scratched to the point where it won't work in my 360.  "Good Condition" my ass 
mad.gif
 /rant

Anyway, back on topic, I'm dying to hear the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro now that they've been approved by the Basshead Club.  I wanna know if they'll kick harder than my Ultrasone DJ-1

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #2,897 of 11,286
Quote:

Yea that does explain a lot, and rage is only being added to it thanks to me getting a game from a store on Amazon that literally is scratched to the point where it won't work in my 360.  "Good Condition" my ass 
mad.gif
 /rant

Anyway, back on topic, I'm dying to hear the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro now that they've been approved by the Basshead Club.  I wanna know if they'll kick harder than my Ultrasone DJ-1

BeyerDynamic Custom One isn't about "kicking hard", they are subb-bass focused with a soft rumbly bass response and DJ-1 midbass focused that hits tighter with more impact. At the heaviest bass setting the Custom One are very bassy though but they could kick harder with less bass if they were tuned differently in the bass and didn't roll off already at 90~~150Hz in the upper-end of the bass range depending on setting. This is my major complaint of the Custom One, too subbass skewed.

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #2,898 of 11,286
Quote:

BeyerDynamic Custom One isn't about "kicking hard", they are subb-bass focused with a soft rumbly bass response and DJ-1 midbass focused that hits tighter with more impact. At the heaviest bass setting the Custom One are very bassy though but they could kick harder with less bass if they were tuned differently in the bass and didn't roll off already at 90~~150Hz in the upper-end of the bass range depending on setting. This is my major complaint of the Custom One, too subbass skewed.

So lemme see if I understand you correctly.  They're not about "DA BAAASSSS!!!!!!!!", but instead are about balance, just happen to have a nice kick to them while preserving that balance???

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #2,899 of 11,286
Quote:

So lemme see if I understand you correctly.  They're not about "DA BAAASSSS!!!!!!!!", but instead are about balance, just happen to have a nice kick to them while preserving that balance???

The moral of the post was these doesn't have a nice kick to them due to the way the bass response is tuned. Your DJ-1 have much nicer tuned bass response for a nice "kick" to the bass, your DJ-1 are less bassy than Custom One probably at both 3rd and definitely the 4th level of the bass boost setting with the configurable bass venting mechanism on the headphones but quantity vs kick wise your DJ-1 does a better job at it.

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #2,900 of 11,286
the coustem one pro seems perfect for me O.o

how does the mids and treble sound?

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #2,901 of 11,286
Quote:

The moral of the post was these doesn't have a nice kick to them due to the way the bass response is tuned. Your DJ-1 have much nicer tuned bass response for a nice "kick" to the bass, your DJ-1 are less bassy than Custom One probably at both 3rd and definitely the 4th level of the bass boost setting with the configurable bass venting mechanism on the headphones but quantity vs kick wise your DJ-1 does a better job at it.

So one has more bass, but the other has a better response?

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #2,902 of 11,286
Quote:

So one has more bass, but the other has a better response?

Well depends how you define "better", if you like impactful/tactile bass then DJ-1 that you have is better at this. The Custom One at max bass setting do have more impact for sure but it will also sound overly bloated and impact a lot on SQ at that setting. Overall besides the 4th level bass boost on Custom One, it's fairly soft bass without that much "punch", similar to XB700 and DT770 Pro. 

It's more of a WROOOM-WROOOM bass than BOOOOM-BOOOOOM... read it aloud and you know what I mean. The "booom" kind of bass comes from sufficiently extended midbass which Custom One doesn't focus on but DJ-1 do.

Oct 2, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #2,903 of 11,286
Quote:

Well depends how you define "better", if you like impactful/tactile bass then DJ-1 that you have is better at this. The Custom One at max bass setting do have more impact for sure but it will also sound overly bloated and impact a lot on SQ at that setting. Overall besides the 4th level bass boost on Custom One, it's fairly soft bass without that much "punch", similar to XB700 and DT770 Pro. 

It's more of a WROOOM-WROOOM bass than BOOOOM-BOOOOOM... read it aloud and you know what I mean. The "booom" kind of bass comes from sufficiently extended midbass which Custom One doesn't focus on but DJ-1 do.

For me, bass presence without punch sounds artificial to me.  It is like going to a fireworks display and hearing the explosion but not feeling it.  Based on this, thank you for eliminating the Custom One from my large list of promising cans.

Oct 2, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #2,904 of 11,286
Well subbass is fun when you listen to it with REAL subs that can output strong enough subbass so there's some decent impact, I find headphones just can't give that "movie" feel of that deep rumbling bass from for example tanks in movies but headphones do often better at midbass versus subs though unless you got really high quality "pro-level" subs that usually run maybe a thousand or two each so therefore I prefer balanced midbass vs subbass presence in headphones cuz subbass focused headphone response just doesn't sound appealing to me at all, it's just too soft, I want to feel that tactile "punch" in the bass.

Optimally I want the headphone's bass response to have following shape:

Centered around 80Hz with an aprox 9dB or so peak there cuz this is roughly the barrier between subbass and midbass and it should roll-off slightly at least by 20~30Hz as well as start rolling off in the upperbass range maybe around 180~200Hz or so to give the proper punch to the bass, if it rolls already off around 100~120Hz which headphones like XB700, Custom One, DT770 Pro etc does, you don't get that punch and it becomes very subbass skewed, soft rumbly bass without tactile feedback.

I think M100 will probably be the closest to my ideal bass response curve, the 8~9dB boost at 100Hz compared to 1~2kHz range according to Val was a very promissing start. MDR-1R that has already been measured has a very close to my ideal bass curve too, it would optimally have to have a little better subbass extension and maybe ~1dB gain overall.

If using 1R's graph for comparision, the red drawn line represents roughly the ideal curve for me.

Oct 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #2,905 of 11,286
Quote:
Ofc man, try listening to Evan Awake also, great music from him as well! He actually did some work on the Nijabes Tribute CDS
Yea but Fat Jon, Tsuchie and Force of Nature also helped [all of them are also great Nu Jazz bands as well]
me to <3

Yeah, I like Evan. His music is dope, but under nujabes my #2 guy in the genre would have to be Nomak.

Oct 2, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #2,907 of 11,286
Hmm I may have to withdraw some of my earlier comments about Custom One Pro after seeing the russian measurement! I'm starting to like this site, they actually have very useful kind of measurements with also properly amped as well impedance load used:

So much for BeyerDynamic's illustration huh? The measurement shows actually very present midbass and very balanced midbass vs subbass presence. Me likey the level 3 very much, most people also seem to prefer level 2-3, most commonly 3 of the few that have tried it so far. Around 1kHz it drops a little lower than I'd optimally want, probably benefits a lot by a slight bump at 1kHz on an EQ, otherwise looks good except the drop around 7kHz which is often a sign of resonance issues in the upper-mids.

Oct 2, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #2,908 of 11,286
Quote:

Where did you order your cMoy?

Jds Labs, I got the nicest one they had to offer
Quote:
Well subbass is fun when you listen to it with REAL subs that can output strong enough subbass so there's some decent impact, I find headphones just can't give that "movie" feel of that deep rumbling bass from for example tanks in movies but headphones do often better at midbass versus subs though unless you got really high quality "pro-level" subs that usually run maybe a thousand or two each so therefore I prefer balanced midbass vs subbass presence in headphones cuz subbass focused headphone response just doesn't sound appealing to me at all, it's just too soft, I want to feel that tactile "punch" in the bass.

Optimally I want the headphone's bass response to have following shape:

Centered around 80Hz with an aprox 9dB or so peak there cuz this is roughly the barrier between subbass and midbass and it should roll-off slightly at least by 20~30Hz as well as start rolling off in the upperbass range maybe around 180~200Hz or so to give the proper punch to the bass, if it rolls already off around 100~120Hz which headphones like XB700, Custom One, DT770 Pro etc does, you don't get that punch and it becomes very subbass skewed, soft rumbly bass without tactile feedback.

I think M100 will probably be the closest to my ideal bass response curve, the 8~9dB boost at 100Hz compared to 1~2kHz range according to Val was a very promissing start. MDR-1R that has already been measured has a very close to my ideal bass curve too, it would optimally have to have a little better subbass extension and maybe ~1dB gain overall.

If using 1R's graph for comparision, the red drawn line represents roughly the ideal curve for me.

Very nice desciption!

I actually do enjoy the Soft bass of the Sony xb700... except for the fact that there is no mid bass [I mean the whole MId bass PLUMETS and you can barely hear it -.-] ... there's not much tactility.  You can feel the "soft" rumble of the Bass on the Xb700 Un amped and ever more so amped, it's a very gentle push agianst your ears, and if it's tight enough [which the XB700 can do if you mod and amo them right] it's very satisfying... how ever the XB700 to me has a little to much exaggeration of it's bass for the tightness that really warms your soul! My cMoy has helped out a little but still not where I want em, now for Dub Step and PURELY Sub bass music the XBs are nice as bannas, you really get that gentle push [so much so I want the xb1000s ] 

But I'm really exicted to get my Dt 880s [not bass head I know shush ur faces] I'd like to really get a bass head can with this kinda of FRQ

I'm gonna hate on the XB700s and Pro 900s now, I have the XB's and honestly that SERIOUS roll off at around 100 hz... to me that translates into One Trick Pony [which I like the nice SEXY Sub of the xb700 [I'm getting the 1000s]] But I'd like to get closer to enjoy cans like the Hifiman HE 500, very minimal Roll off. With the Mid Bass boost and deatail of the cMoy I'm confident I can enjoy me some Drum and Bass again, because that MEGA roll of sounds terrible and makes Drum and bass dissapoiting for me, heck I can't even Enjoy Wobbles in Dub Step without the cMoy and even with it it's still meh

So lets hope the XB1000 is not AS bad as the 700 is and in 2 days <3 I'll have my Dt 880s to try out :D [and I should really start playing around with the amp on my Hifiman, I'm using the jazz Preamp but I know I can eq something better, although I'm not a fan of the like 8 bar custom settings >.>]

Oct 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #2,909 of 11,286
Quote:

WROOM WROOM sounds more like "classical" bass and "BOOM BOOM" sounds more like today's bass.  So impactful/tactile bass is the type I like, since I'm still loving my DJ-1.  Look at that :D I learned something today.

Oct 2, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #2,910 of 11,286
Quote:

WROOM WROOM sounds more like "classical" bass and "BOOM BOOM" sounds more like today's bass.  So impactful/tactile bass is the type I like, since I'm still loving my DJ-1.  Look at that :D I learned something today.

Yea well lucky you, I happen to like them both... I'm thinking of getting some DT 990 250 ohms for my Mid bass needs! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back