The Audiophile Network, BBSes, and The Good Old Days
Jul 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #31 of 37
It looks like I found this thread relatively late...when we first were talking about making this a separate thread, it was when another thread went off-topic with reminiscences about The Audiophile Network (TAN), for which Steve Eddy was technical adviser. I don't know if anyone else here was a TANner, but it was one of the more amazing communities of audiophiles in the pre-Internet age.

Looking back, I'm trying to remember just how many audio writers were present on TAN during its heyday.  Some of them were already established, others actually got hired based on their TAN posts.  Among those I can definitely remember were:

John Atkinson (Stereophile, obviously)
Myles Astor (basically everywhere)
Jonathan Valin (TAS, Fi)
Corey Greenberg (Stereophile)
Jonathan Scull (TAS, Stereophile)
Kalman Rubison (Stereophile)
Jack English (...sounds like..., Stereophile)
Doug Blackburn (SoundStage)

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting about.  If you were on TAN, could you help me complete the list?

Gordon Holt. Other than that I think your list is pretty complete.

se

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #33 of 37
Quote:
I think JGH must have been around before I joined, as I don't remember him posting at all.

Now you've got me second guessing myself. I went through some of the archives that JA sent me, but didn't find Gordon in any of them. But then he only archived some of the audio forums, none of the video forums which is what Gordon was into at the time. It's also possible I could be thinking of CompuServe's CEFORUM. I'll get in touch with JA and see what his recollection was.

se

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #34 of 37
Jonathan Scull wrote for TAS/Stereophile?

Jul 12, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #36 of 37
Here is a link to some of Jonathon's Stereophile articles....

http://www.stereophile.com/writer/91

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #37 of 37
Lol, me = noob. 
redface.gif
  Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back